“Wonderful view of Frenchman's Bay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Harborside Hotel & Marina

Harborside Hotel & Marina
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Hudson, Massachusetts
“Wonderful view of Frenchman's Bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

This is our second visit to the Harborside Hotel and Marina. Our room overlooked Frenchmans' Bay and the Bar (at low tide) that gives Bar Harbor it's name. We really like the location of this Hotel because we can walk to the main street of town. The hotel is very clean, spacious rooms, nicely decorated, friendly staff, and has a restaurant. We only ate breakfast there but it was excellant. We have a lot of favorite restaurants since we have been coming to Acadia National Park for over 30 years.

Room Tip: We like the second floor overlooking Frenchmans Bay and seeing the "Bar" at low tide. The...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

My husband and I just returned from a four night stay at the Harborsie Hotel and Marina. We were pleased with this hotel and would probably stay there again. The location cannot be beat if you want to be close to the shopping and restaurants. Several evenings we walked through the town shopping and finding great places to eat.
We had booked an ocean front king suite. When we got to our room we found it to be very spacious with a separate living area and a large bedroom. The living area had a gas fireplace which was a nice feature. I was a little disappointed with the location (ground floor, and far back from the harbor - yet still had a harbor view), and I felt the room was not as luxurious as I thought it would have been for the price. I went back to the front desk to ask them if we could have a room on a higher floor and further out over the bay. The gentleman was very accomodating ( I wish I would have gotten his name) and even took me to see the room. We settled for a smaller room with a King bed and living area (not separated from the bedroom) with a balcony that had a hot tub on it and a beautiful view looking over the bay. I still think the price was somewhat high for the quality of the room and the time of year. I would think this would have been peak prices. The rooms however are very clean. The furniture is starting to look slightly dated. A flat screen on the wall would do wonders. A free complimentary breakfast would have been appreciated as well. I would love to see this place in the summer. The pool was large and is probably very refreshing when it is hot. The hot tub on the balcony was a bonus, however the balcony is only semi-private.

Room Tip: Higher rooms out over the bay.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

We stayed at the Harborside Hotel for three nights and had a wonderful experience. Our rooms were comfortable,clean and spacious and had, as promised, a wonderful view of the harbor. The location was excellent - very close to downtown, but at the end of the harbor area where it was a bit quieter. Each and every staff member we encountered went above and beyond to meet our needs. We were impressed that they provided free wifi, complimentary valet parking and a completely complimentary guest laundry. We had breakfast in Bella Vita each morning and the food was excellent. We will definitely stay there again the next time we're in Bar Harbor.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

We have been visiting Bar Harbor for 40 years and this is our 2nd stay at the Harborside. We were in town to watch our son run in the marathon and had never been to Bar Harbor during the cruise season or tour bus season (leaf changing season). We found it to be way too crowded for our taste. The hotel was as beautiful and well kept as the last time we stayed there 3 years ago. We had a deluxe room on the third floor. It was very large and had a view of the water/parking lot. The restaurant staff, however, needs to be more attentive. I don't know if they were short handed or not but the service was not up to par. The bartender spent more time chatting with the other servers than attending to people at the bar. We had to be agressive to get his attention and I got the impression he couldn't wait for the season to be over. We had to wait a long time for someone to show us to a table for breakfast 2 days in a row. When there are vacant window tables, and an almost empty room, why would you not seat 2 people at those tables? We were told because the tables needed to be bused. We told them we wouid wait the 5 minutes. I really do like this hotel but with the giant sister hotel across the street, which seems out of place here, it reminds me of being in Myrtle Beach, I think next visit we will stay in the less busy section of town.

Room Tip: Try not to get a ground floor room
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Tel-Aviv
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

We spend 3 night on the hotel and have only good words to say.
The rooms are big and very clean, the staff are very helpful, the location is wonderful and all the hotel can offer is so satisfying !
We eat breakfast every morning - which is superb. We have tried the dinner - and it was very good with very fair prices.
We spend time in the swimming pool, and the Gym.
Great place - we will do our best to come again !

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

I thought my experience was an isolated incidence, but after reading the other reviews posted I found I was not the only one who was disappointed/confused with the views the hotel boasts their rooms provide. Instead of booking online I called the hotel directly to ensure that I knew what kind of view I was getting- I wound up booking a Premium King Ocean Front room when the hotel described it as having “spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean and a semi-private balcony or terrace”. When I got there I was told I was upgraded to a king suite-a.k.a. the person who checked in earlier who had booked the king suite was unhappy with the view so the hotel put them in my room instead! The “complimentary upgraded” suite was a corner, ground level, 1 bedroom suite that looked directly into the hotel communal hot tub and the giant metal docks and huge whale watching ships (no view of the ocean from my windows!). This room should not be considered an ocean front, but rather a pool view/harbor view like those rooms it borders to its right and it should be priced accordingly. When we called to complain and be moved to the room type we booked-they simply said this was the room type we booked (but it was not), they did a favor of upgrading us, and that the hotel was near capacity and couldn’t move us. As for the balcony/terrace, because it was a corner room ours was literally a 3 ft wide 1 ft deep fenced in playpen of a terrace-with the explanation that it was that way because it was a corner room on the pool so it was done for safety (yes-“pool”, that is why it should have been pool-view). There wasn’t even enough room to get into the chairs, let alone turn them. It was quite frustrating and turned to being quite insulting when a manager would not meet with us during the multiple days we were there. The staff was a bit snobby and had a forced friendliness about them that came off as fake and sometimes condescending. I don’t know if this was because it is the end of the season and the staff doesn’t care about making their guests truly happy because in a few days they were all heading down to Florida to work at another resort during the winter season or if this was a reflection of what the hotel is truly like during its full season, but either way, the experience was not worth its price.

Room Tip: Stay away from ground level rooms! Ask for an upper floor, ocean front room that is furthest away fr...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank traveler2385
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012 via mobile

Few years ago while visiting Bar Harbor we had dinner at the hotel and I kept in mind since it was an amazing location. So before going up we found a King suite for us to spend Columbus Day weekend. The room was really spacious including living room, two TVs and two bathrooms. We also enjoyed the amenities at the Bar Harbor club and spa accessible to the guests. We are definitely staying there again.

• Stayed October 2012