“Excellent Hotel in Bar Harbor”

Harborside Hotel & Marina
Ranked #20 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 15 July 2009

Outstanding choice for Bar Harbor.

We were a bit reluctant when we saw this rating 16 out of 41 in Bar Harbor. It was, in a word OUTSTANDING! In my experience this should have been ranked TOP as it was a great hotel (see our other reviews). Classic rooms, with marble bathrooms, great bathrobes, and crisp white linens, the rooms are spacious and very CLEAN. The views are directly out to Frenchman's Bay. Our room had a mini-patio just off our sitting area, The bathroom featured a soaking tub (complete with bath salts) and a separate marble shower. The lobby had a warm inviting fireplace in the lobby (even in July, it was cool at night). Iced water in the lobby for your return from hiking Acadia or shopping Bar Harbor. The on site restaurant was great for casual fresh fare. Try the stuffed French bread - it is delicious! Next door is a full service Spa at the Harborside Club. We did not use the spa services, but the menu was extensive. The pool is heated (also a hot tub) and is as close to the water as you can get in Bar Harbor!

Our number one concern in a hotel is cleanliness (again, see our previous reviews). This is a very clean property. The amenities make is all the better, a GREAT hotel!

Classic, clean, and comfortable - we would stay there again in a heartbeat!

1  Thank Kelton
Write a ReviewReviews (1,198)

Reviewed 11 July 2009

I will agree with the other reviews-the location of this hotel is perfect. A short walk to everything. Lovely room and amenities. Friendly and courteous staff.
That being said, I will most likely not return to this hotel on future visits. First issue-when I called to book our room, I specifically asked about the view, and was assured that we would have an unobstructed view to Bar Island. Ok, true enough, however, we had to look past the parking lot first, and lean over our balcony to actually see the island. Very disappointed. We were told, sorry, no other rooms available, which I find hard to believe. THe rooms with the harbor/pool view looked lovely.
Second issue-the walls of these rooms are very thin. I am a light sleeper, and we could hear actual conversations in the room next to ours. Along with the baby who cried for a good length of time at night. The children across the hall made a game of locking each other out of their room, so we were "entertained" by kids yelling and slamming the door. I guess we just expected more from this high-quality establishment.

Reviewed 11 July 2009

My husband, and I stayed at The Harborside Hotel on July 6, 2009 for 4 nights. We were in room 1011, with a veiw of the pool, and the harbor.We think this side of the Hotel has the best veiw. The room had a large semi private balcony with two chairs, and two lounges, and a small table. .If you request a sunset veiw,or an island veiw, you will have a veiw of the parking lot. If you want a veiw of the pool, or a veiw of the water with no parking lot, you better get it in writing, and confirm it. The pool is very nice. If you want an umbrella you have to ask for it, but you will not get it untill 12 noon. (bar, and food service is 12 noon- 4pm ). The pool, and hot tub hours are 6am-11pm. The pool is nice, and warm, and the lounges have nice padded cushions on them. The food at the restaurant is very good, one of the best meals we had in Bar Harbor. We went to the resturant Havana, and it was good, but I can't say I would go back. Our meal at the Hotel was better. The hotel is in walking distance of everything in town. If you want a nice pool, this is the hotel to stay at.

Reviewed 9 July 2009

My Husband and I stayed for two nights Room 2009! The room overlooked the pool and Harbour. It was wonderful.
We got AAA rate of $180 a night for deluxe Sunset View. A previous trip advisor reviewer had warned that usually means a view of the Parking Lot. I asked!! Glad I did. Kudo's to Mark on check in. When I asked he then made sure that was not our view. Instead gave us a room with a wonderful view and it was very comfortable. Free Internet provided.
Staff extremely friendly and helpful.
Resturant nice for Breakfast.
Room service menu. Expensive and the food was pretty bad. I had Margherita Pesto Pizza and could hardly eat a bite. It was awful.
That was the only negative during our stay.
The convenience of the location was a real plus als. We walked into the town and explored the little stores. Everything is right at hand.

Reviewed 24 June 2009

My boyfriend surprised me with a stay at this hotel after 3 days camping in Bass Harbor. I would gladly go camping again if every trip ended in a stay at a hotel like the Harborside!

We stayed in a Sunset Harbor View room with Balcony Hot Tub. The room was large with a seating area, king bed (very comfortable), and large marble bath with both a stand up shower and separate soaking tub (robes and plenty of towels were supplied). The bath products supplied smelled amazing and were really good; I would love the chance to purchase them outright. The balcony was quite large with a great view of the harbor, and surprisingly the noise level was quite low. Although we missed the sunset, the sunrise was still incredible to see the next morning over the harbor. The hot tub on the balcony was very clean and worked perfectly (the note in the room said that they are cleaned and maintained everyday- which I believe as the front desk double checked their status when we checked in). It was also well secluded from the neighboring balconies with privacy walls.

We had breakfast in the downstairs restaurant which was very good. Coffee was above par and the wild blueberry pancakes were fantastic. We got to eat on the outdoor patio. So relaxing, especially before starting the 5 hr drive home.

We have told several people about the hotel and would recommend it to anyone. I would definitely stay at the Harborside again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2009

Very impressed. Our room was very spacious, well presented and well situated. Staff very helpful. Right in the middle of town.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2009

Can't say enough for the outstanding service, comfort and attractiveness of this fine hotel. Beautiful inside and out including a wood fire in the lobby and a world class view of the harbor from our balcony. Every single employee gave us a smile and pleasant greeting. We loved staying here.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple