“LOVE The Harborside” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Maine
“LOVE The Harborside”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

This is the place to stay... if you don't mind paying extra! I called ahead with a few requests. I wanted a balcony and need a room with in short walking distance to the pool for our son who has medical issues with walkin long distances.I did make them move us.
I would recommend asking for the larger balcony if.... you plan to use it. Ours was a little tight. also the pool view rooms are a little close to the resterant and may not be very quiet? Not 100% sure on that. The Pool is heated and large. Barside service by the pool was heavenly! Thank you! "Jason the waiter" You are top notch. The Kids loved have burgers and pizza by the pool. ood was delicious.
The rooms are spacious and extremly clean!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank samsadieMaine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2009

We stayed at the Harborside on July 21, 2009. This was our second stay with them, and we were impressed both times with the location, the service, and how well-kept the property was. (The landscaping, how clean everything was, etc.) Tourism seems to be down quite a bit this year, so the crowds in Bar Harbor and Acadia were a lot easier to navigate through. And, because the hotel wasn't completely full, they upgraded both our room, and my mother and step-father's room. We were given a studio suite (with full kitchen), because we were travelling with a 3-year-old and had requested a refrigerator. My mother and step-father were upgraded to an ocean front room with a jacuzzi on the balcony. (VERY nice.)
The staff at the Harborside was exceptionally nice and helpful. Every person with whom we interacted provided excellent customer service. The food in the restaurant was good. We ate breakfast there...although in retrospect, we wished we would have ordered breakfast the night before to be delivered to our rooms, just so we could enjoy the water views from our balconies a little longer.
Overall, two great stays at the Harborside. I'm really surprised they're only rated 16. I would have guessed they'd be in the top three.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
mandevillle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2009

We'd been to Bar Harbor before and had gone the B&B route. This time we brought our teenage sons and wanted a more predictable experience. I saw this hotel being renovated last visit 3 years ago. The renovations over the last 2-3 years give it a new feel. We got what we wanted in the Harborside hotel and were really surprised how close it was to top shelf accommodations. You're not going to get the Four Seasons at this price and location but they do their best here. Friendly employees are everywhere and very willing to enhance your experience. Breakfast is good and reasonable and you are a short 2 block walk from the town center. I read some of the earlier reviews and the only reason this hotel is rated lower than others has to be the complaints from the construction period. That and the cheaper places seem to meet the expectations of those who book them but to anyone that likes a nicer hotel, this is where you want to be.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ketel_always
Plantation, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

Outstanding choice for Bar Harbor.

We were a bit reluctant when we saw this rating 16 out of 41 in Bar Harbor. It was, in a word OUTSTANDING! In my experience this should have been ranked TOP as it was a great hotel (see our other reviews). Classic rooms, with marble bathrooms, great bathrobes, and crisp white linens, the rooms are spacious and very CLEAN. The views are directly out to Frenchman's Bay. Our room had a mini-patio just off our sitting area, The bathroom featured a soaking tub (complete with bath salts) and a separate marble shower. The lobby had a warm inviting fireplace in the lobby (even in July, it was cool at night). Iced water in the lobby for your return from hiking Acadia or shopping Bar Harbor. The on site restaurant was great for casual fresh fare. Try the stuffed French bread - it is delicious! Next door is a full service Spa at the Harborside Club. We did not use the spa services, but the menu was extensive. The pool is heated (also a hot tub) and is as close to the water as you can get in Bar Harbor!

Our number one concern in a hotel is cleanliness (again, see our previous reviews). This is a very clean property. The amenities make is all the better, a GREAT hotel!

Classic, clean, and comfortable - we would stay there again in a heartbeat!

1 Thank Kelton
Midwest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

I will agree with the other reviews-the location of this hotel is perfect. A short walk to everything. Lovely room and amenities. Friendly and courteous staff.
That being said, I will most likely not return to this hotel on future visits. First issue-when I called to book our room, I specifically asked about the view, and was assured that we would have an unobstructed view to Bar Island. Ok, true enough, however, we had to look past the parking lot first, and lean over our balcony to actually see the island. Very disappointed. We were told, sorry, no other rooms available, which I find hard to believe. THe rooms with the harbor/pool view looked lovely.
Second issue-the walls of these rooms are very thin. I am a light sleeper, and we could hear actual conversations in the room next to ours. Along with the baby who cried for a good length of time at night. The children across the hall made a game of locking each other out of their room, so we were "entertained" by kids yelling and slamming the door. I guess we just expected more from this high-quality establishment.

schenectady ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

My husband, and I stayed at The Harborside Hotel on July 6, 2009 for 4 nights. We were in room 1011, with a veiw of the pool, and the harbor.We think this side of the Hotel has the best veiw. The room had a large semi private balcony with two chairs, and two lounges, and a small table. .If you request a sunset veiw,or an island veiw, you will have a veiw of the parking lot. If you want a veiw of the pool, or a veiw of the water with no parking lot, you better get it in writing, and confirm it. The pool is very nice. If you want an umbrella you have to ask for it, but you will not get it untill 12 noon. (bar, and food service is 12 noon- 4pm ). The pool, and hot tub hours are 6am-11pm. The pool is nice, and warm, and the lounges have nice padded cushions on them. The food at the restaurant is very good, one of the best meals we had in Bar Harbor. We went to the resturant Havana, and it was good, but I can't say I would go back. Our meal at the Hotel was better. The hotel is in walking distance of everything in town. If you want a nice pool, this is the hotel to stay at.

Sylvania, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2009

My Husband and I stayed for two nights Room 2009! The room overlooked the pool and Harbour. It was wonderful.
We got AAA rate of $180 a night for deluxe Sunset View. A previous trip advisor reviewer had warned that usually means a view of the Parking Lot. I asked!! Glad I did. Kudo's to Mark on check in. When I asked he then made sure that was not our view. Instead gave us a room with a wonderful view and it was very comfortable. Free Internet provided.
Staff extremely friendly and helpful.
Resturant nice for Breakfast.
Room service menu. Expensive and the food was pretty bad. I had Margherita Pesto Pizza and could hardly eat a bite. It was awful.
That was the only negative during our stay.
The convenience of the location was a real plus als. We walked into the town and explored the little stores. Everything is right at hand.