“Rude and Disappointing” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 69 things to do in Bar Harbor
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Rude and Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

My boyfriend and I had stopped in on a whim to visit the wine-tasting room and left confused and disappointed. I have lived in Europe for 5 years and know how tasting rooms should operate. The sad thing is - is that my boyfriend had never been to a wine tasting room and was excited to try the different wines; I also love wine and love to buy local bottles to take back and share with family and friends.

When we entered the room, it was very impressive and initially loved the smell and look of the room. We did some browsing (there were two couples already at the wine desk and about 2 other people in the store). So I walked up and was not greeted and basically ignored by the two staff members who were focused on the couples in front of me. Now I understand that these couples were there first - however, I should not have been ignored for over 15 minutes! I saw the other people also waiting to taste the wine and I was very confused - don't you want us to taste the wine? Why is your staff not at least pouring some wine for everyone so at least they can have a taste and possibly - buy your wine? My boyfriend was so exasperated that he wanted to leave and I was sad that this spoiled his experience - wine should be enjoyed by everyone and we were made to feel that we were not good enough to even acknowledge.

Please do not think we want anything from you - we will not be back for any free wine. We just want you to possibly retrain your staff. I would recommend you keep one staff member behind the bar just to pour wine for people who are waiting - and then have another staff on hand to answer questions...that way, you can have people enjoy your wine and not be ignored. Subsequently, we went to another winery and bought ourselves boxes of their product to take home.

Thank you!

Visited July 2014
5 Thank WrldTrav520
bstevens1951, Retail Operations Manager at Bar Harbor Cellars Winery, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent visit to our winery. We try to insure that each of our guests is welcomed and attended to as quickly as possible. As the focus of our wine tastings is as much educational as recreational, we attempt to link a narrative to the tasting. We have found that most of our visitors enjoy this approach. Again, I'm sorry that your visit did not meet your expectations, and perhaps you will accept my invitation to visit again some time.

Livermore, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Nice Store”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

The store has a great chocolate room with chocolates from a variety of Maine companies. The wine tasting bartender was very knowledgeable of the wines and they pour quite a few. He also was good at suggesting food pairings for the various wines. Didn't care for most of the wines and the fruit was are really, really sweet.

1 Thank BLAST491
Thank you for stopping in and visiting our winery store.With more than a dozen wines, we think we offer something for everyone's taste. Along with the wines, our Chocolate Room has proven to be quite popular. Thanks again!
New Sweden, Maine
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Wine needs a wider distribution”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed the wines we tried. I wish we could purchase the wines thoughout he state. I would love to have better access.

Visited July 2014
Glad you had the opportunity to try our great wines. Presently, we are a very small winery, only making around 1000 cases annually. We are able to sell nearly all of it right from our own tasting room. Perhaps in the future you will be able to find in a wine store near you! Thanks!
Bar Harbor, Maine
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Very Rude Staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Came here for the free wine tasting a couple days ago and were very excited to check out the place. While conversing with your staff we mentioned our place of employment to Joel, he was very rude and insulted my friends and I stating our place of employment in the town was "a horrible company to work for, you wait and see". We were very offended and while we wanted to browse and potentially buy something, we chose to leave instead because we did not want to patronize your business further. Very taken aback that someone would say something like that to customers. Walked out completely astounded.

2 Thank Sarah G
bstevens1951, Retail Operations Manager at Bar Harbor Cellars Winery, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
On behalf of the management and staff of Bar Harbor Cellars, I wish to offer you my most sincere apologies for any conduct to which you took offense at the winery. We are in the hospitality business, and it is most important that all customers be treated in a warm and friendly manner. We offer wine tastings at our downtown retail store, Bar Harbor Brewing Company, and I would like to extend the following offer to you. I would invite you to try our wines in that store, then select a free bottle with my compliments. There is typically a small fee for the tastings downtown, but I will waive that as well. Once again, I apologize for your experience at the winery, and hope you will accept my offer in the spirit in which it was given. Let the store clerk know who are there for the "Trip Advisor" gift certificate.
Pollock, Idaho
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great wines!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

My sister and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Bar Harbor Cellars Winery last week. We got to taste a number of their wines crafted on site from local and regionally-grown fruits and European grapes. While the blueberry wine is most popular, we liked the cranberry wine best! The tour and wine tasting are conducted in an historic barn, so not much to see, but our guide was the manager who was very knowledgeable about both the history of the place and the wines offered. They also have Made in Maine chocolates and meats and cheeses for sale. There is a café on site that serves breakfasts and lunches, but we had already eaten, so we'll save that for another time.

Visited June 2014
bstevens1951, Retail Operations Manager at Bar Harbor Cellars Winery, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for such a lovely review. It sounds like you really enjoyed yourself. Be sure to stop back in the next time you visit Acadia, as we often have something new to try.