“overpriced wine and bad food”

Bar Harbor Cellars Winery
Ranked #33 of 74 things to do in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Stopped by for lunch and tasting a few days ago. Had a terrible sandwich in the cafe, was completely burned and charred black. 1/2 sandwich for 11 dollars. Wine tasting was fun but bought a 20 dollar bottle of the best tasting wine, got it home and it was awful. Definitely not the same as what was given in the tasting. Poured out the bottle. The highlight of the trip was picking a few blueberries on the way out.

1  Thank SASTPETE
bstevens1951, Retail Operations Manger at Bar Harbor Cellars Winery, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

I'm sorry that your recent visit to Bar Harbor Cellars did not meet your expectations. It does sound as though you enjoyed the tasting you were given, and I'm glad that compelled you to buy a bottle of wine. That the wine you took home to enjoy did not taste the same as the wine you tried at the winery is a complete puzzlement. On very rare occasions, a bottle of wine can be bad, for a variety of reasons. However, I would like to refund to you the price of the wine. Please contact me via email--bruce@atlanticbrewing.com--with your name and address and I will forward a check to you with our apologies.
Sorry too that you had a less than pleasant experience at the Sweet Pea Cafe, which is operated independently, but adjacent to the Winery. I will pass along your comments to the manager there.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was my 2nd time and the wine tastings are always educational, relaxing and fun. If you purchase a 3 pack of wine, you get $3 off total, which is a decent deal. Lots of fun gift type items too!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We have stopped here several times on our way to and from Bar Harbor.

We love their wines, on our most recent trip we left with 13 bottles to split between us and another couple.

Their Black Barstow and Gewürtztraminer are great. They also make a dessert (icewine) that is wonderful if that's your sort of thing.

The only negative I can say is that the employees doing the tastings (we have done 4 or 5 over the past few years) have varied both in knowledge and attitude. I'm quite sure working a wine tasting bar in Bar Harbor has its challenges, I have seen first hand how rude customers can be, so I have a lot of sympathy for the staff as it is. Also, I'm sure they get a ton of visits and it's probably hard to accommodate that volume of people graciously. But, at other area wineries we have been made to feel more at home by the staff. It doesn't keep me from visiting Bar Harbor Cellars and purchasing their wine but we do usually warn our friends that this isn't the "come on in, we're happy you're here!" sort of place. To give some contrast - on this most recent trip we spent 2-3 hours at a nearby winery as the owner showed us every detail of his operation and truly made us feel like we were welcomed guests. I don't expect this at every winery and surely Bar Harbor Cellars isn't the worst winery I have visited in this regard but it's worth noting.

Another thing worth mentioning - tastings here are free and the tasting we did consisted of 9 wines. That is hugely impressive in this day and age.

Overall, the wines are worth the stop. Smile big and be super polite and hope for the best.

1  Thank skimaine
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We visited after seeing the signs up and the grapes growing. We have been to many many wineries and tastings and love to sample
Local wines when we travel. When we walked in we were pleasantly surprised at the store. Beautiful rustic area and we thought , ok, this is gonna be good. Like other posters have commented, we,too were not greeted. There were two couples at the tasting and we stood there, not acknowledged. When I asked about the tasting I was told "I have people here tasting first, when they are done then you can have your turn" I was taken a little aback but browsed around waiting - for 20 minutes. Now, I don't understand why they cannot do multiple people at the same time? There is enough room, but it is what it is. When we finally did our tasting, the staff member seemed as though we were not as knowledgable or of a certain class. We were in our shorts and t-shirts just coming back from the beach. We felt very judged. When my husband began to talk about the wines and the growing and fermenting, she became more friendly towards us. However, then she told us about the grapes NOT bring grown there and being shipped in from another country! I guess the grapes outside are for
Looks only lol. Didn't visit the restaurant, but it was very smoky outside, I know they do wood fire pizza and hope this is why, but the smell of burnt popcorn was terrible. If I were you, skip this place and find another one.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I visited the Cellars with the intention of eating at the farm-to-table restaurant next door, Sweet Pea Cafe. After eating we stopped into the wine tasting room and had a great experience. The store has many local food items beyond wine including cheeses, meats, chocolates, etc. We tried 4 or 5 wines and purchased three bottles as hostess gifts and thank yous. The woman helping us was very knowledgeable and friendly. We asked her a lot of questions about the wine and chocolates within the store and also the local area, asking for restaurant recommends. She offered great advice. It was a quick visit, but one we enjoyed and would recommend others to stop in.