“Renter Beware!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Edgewater Motel & Cottages

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Edgewater Motel & Cottages
Ranked #14 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Connecticut
“Renter Beware!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2008

Beware of cancellation policy!

We booked the room in July for mid-October. When the school schedule was published in August, we had to change the dates. The new date wasn't available at Edgewater, so we were forced to cancel the visit, 10 weeks in advance.

As indicated on their website, they held the deposit until they re-rented the room, and they kept $25 for the processing. It took about 8 weeks for them to re-rent the room, so I was nervous about getting the money back.

I feel like 10 weeks is enough notice for 100% immediate refund, don't you?

Stayed October 2008
5 Thank NoreasterCT

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2008

I absolutely loved the tranquil atmosphere and would definitely return for the scenic beauty of Salisbury Cove, if not for the slightly dated motel rooms.

• Liked — scenic views
  • Disliked — dated rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank ijnlg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2008

Cottages and nicely equipped motel rooms accommodate the traveler to the Bar Harbor area. Located close to Acadia National Park and the downtown area. Management pleasant to deal with and friendly with requested info. Warm cup of coffee nice morning welcome! Nice alternative to motel chains and larger hotels in area.

• Liked — Scenery
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FKW
CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2008

I would highly reccommend staying at these cottages. In cottage 9, we had a perfect ocean view from our bed or front porch. (I think most cottages have a great view too, but since I didn't stay in them I can't vouch for them.) This was my first time staying in a cottage and I really liked it. Since we stayed for a week, it was great to have a little more room to spread out than a hotel room would have allowed. It was also nice to have a sort of front yard. Our neigbors left their kayaks out on the side of their cottage all week - something you can't do in a hotel! Plus, with a refrigerator, stove, and grill, we were able to cook a few meals and save some money. The Edgewater website didn't specify what appliances are in the cottages, so if you're worried - yes, there is a coffee-maker. (We almost brought our own along!) There's also a toaster and several pots, pans, wine opener, and other basic utensils. I think there was free coffee made in the main office every morning too, but we made our own (we bought some coffee roasted in Bar Harbor that was pretty good!)

As for location, it was pretty good. We thought we might regret not being right in Bar Harbor, but we didn't at all. It was a short enough drive to both Bar Harbor and the entrance to Acadia NP. It was good to be away from all the buzz of downtown. I remember listening to the sound of NOTHING the first night. Absolutely amazing. The cottages aren't right on the road which is nice, plus the road that everything is on isn't even the main road (it runs parallel to route 3). BUT, it's also very convenient to the free public transportation that runs in the summer and part of the fall. You only need to walk .25 of a mile (about a 5 minute walk) to get to where you can catch the shuttle. I highly reccomend the free shuttle - the buses are really nice and it's a great way to experience the park. You can do a one-way hike or bike ride, then catch the shuttle back home, or to Bar Harbor for dinner. It's great that this place is so amenable to public transportation.

The cottage itself was perfectly adequate. I mean, it's not the Ritz Carleton or anything, but it met all our needs quite well. Lots of windows with screens, a fan, and even heating (which we used on a couple chilly nights). And the heat works extremely well - I had to turn it down actually. We are bed snobs and were a little afraid that the squeaky bed would be our downfall, but we slept very soundly every night. I would definitely stay here again if we ever return to Acadia.

• Liked — feeling like I have my own mini-house
  • Disliked — no diswasher, and the maid didn't wash dishes either
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AdrienneOnTheGo
Austin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2008

My husband and I along with our two teenage daughters stayed in the Seascape suite. The location of the cottages/motel is just gorgeous, private, yet close to Bar Harbor central, as well as Acadia National Park. Our suite sat right on the cove - just an amazing sight each morning. Loved having the second bedroom for our daughters. It was so affordable, extremely clean and well appointed. The owners are so friendly and helpful.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — would have liked better internet service
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank laketravishill
KANSAS CITY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2008

Amazing place to stay. So relaxing and peaceful, with the National Park and Bar Harbor literally minutes away. Loved the homemade blueberry muffins, the helpful owners, the very clean accomodations. Can't beat the price too! Liked everything about it, and right on the water - just outside your door. I would definately stay here again.

• Liked — right on the ocean for a good price
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank KCTRAVELKansasCity
chesapeake, va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Edgewater cottage #7 the last week of June. Our cottage had a small kitchen with a stove top, sink, microwave, and refrigerator. There was a small table to eat at, a couch, and a queen bed. For just the two of us it was ideal. We arrived late because of plane delays and the staff had the cottage open and all the lights on to welcome us. Whenever we had a question everyone was friendly and helpful.

There is one thing I was not aware of ,that I wish I knew. When we arrived the cottage was very clean. During the week someone will come in to change the towels and make the bed, but you must do any other cleaning. We are not messy people, but our bathroom could have be freshed up during the week.

Stayed July 2007