“We learned quite a bit”

Mount Desert Island Oceanarium
Ranked #19 of 71 things to do in Bar Harbor
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Even though we are in our 50's, we enjoyed learning about the creatures of the ocean. The touch tanks were great. We visited toward the end of the day when it was less crowded. It's a small place but they do a great job.

1  Thank Kim C
There are newer reviews for Mount Desert Island Oceanarium

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

It's not Boston's aquarium, but they have an amazing touch tank! My toddler loved it! Bring a change of clothes for after the touch tank! They even had sharks you could touch :) we packed a lunch and had a gorgeous view if the harbor! Great family outing

Reviewed 18 August 2014

The oceanarium was a bit chaotic but very interesting. I think if they had more help it would be better. But overall, we were very glad we went and would recommend it.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

The MDI Oceanarium is well worth a visit. It's not overly commercialised and offers great insight in to the efforts to make lobster fishing sustainable. Although small it's knowledgeable staff offer great details in to a wide range of subjects. Split in to three areas, the museum, hatchery and the discovery area. All three are very informative and educational.

Don't be put off by the fact that it's not the normal hustle and bustle of down town Bar Harbor.

1  Thank Phil_Dilkes
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I was initially put off because we were the only ones there. I thought I was missing something or made a mistake. But it's the one who didn't come who missed out. You see the Hatchery, get an overview of the lobster boats and fishing and then get a chance to touch the sea creatures up and close. You can add a marsh walk to learn some more if you would like. This was my daughters(7 years old) favorite thing we did. People with kids 3-tennagers should make it part of their itinerary. As adults I walked away learnign so much as well.