“Relaxed,lovely grounds, close to town.clean. Home away from home”
Review of Wonder View Inn

Wonder View Inn
Ranked #26 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 30 August 2014

The rooms have fridge, air conditioning. Easy parking. A 10 minute walk to Bar harbor. But the bus stops there regularly if you want to go in without walking. The courtyard is lively with remains of old brick walls. Sometimes I've seen deer walk into the manicured lawn. Very lovely. Currently free breakfasts but you can also walk up to the looking glass restraunt on the property which has great views ( as do the higher rooms that have sea view rooms but ask exactly what view. You can walk over to the sister property blue nose at night to listen to live piano music. l ended up spending time just enjoying the property. It is pet Freindly and one day a dog barking woke us up.

• Stayed: August 2014
There are newer reviews for Wonder View Inn

Reviewed 28 August 2014

There is no "wonder" view. :( It was disappointing to open our nice big window and see all trees! Not even a glimpse through the trees.

The stay and people were very nice! The rooms are very dated but clean. Nice short walk to Bar Harbor!

1  Thank Stephanie A
hospitality04609, General Manager at Wonder View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the view from your room. The growth of forrest over the years has changed some of the views from certain parts of the property. Since it sounds like you enjoyed our hotel overall, I hope that you will consider staying with us again sometime. Just let our reservations desk know that you want to be able to see the ocean and we will do our best to accomodate.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Why do we stay at Wonderview year after year? Primarily because of good memories and a great location. Since I know what rooms to ask for, I know where there are still views that encompass not just trees, but also Frenchman's Bay.
As others have noted, the rooms need significant updating to merit their cost. The furniture in our room has about three seasons to go before being called shabby, but the 20" tube TV does have a working remote! My favorite thing to do at Wonderview is to sit on the little balcony and read. I do wish there were better chairs. The dirt-cheap plastic ones are uncomfortable.
The staff was very friendly this year. They added a continental breakfast. Unfortunately, it is not at all well laid out, and the food is sub-par. That could easily be remedied. Here's the thing...I will very likely stay there again next summer, but will enjoy it more if they can bring the quality of the rooms up just a bit to make it the good value it once was.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper levels.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

I want to thank you for taking the time to write this review. I would also like to assure you that we are eager as you suggest to make the changes you have identified. Over the past few years we have made some major repairs to the property that are not visible on the surface, such as roofing and internal systems. Please hang in there with us as one who shares great memories here. We want to tackle the changes you are mentioning too.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

There wasn't necessarily anything wrong with this property, except the price! I am not the type of girl who requires 5 star accommodations. HOWEVER, when booking a hotel that is double the price of some of the rooms/cottages in the area I anticipated something more.

The room was small and dated, which would have been fine but the price did NOT reflect this. The treats for our dog were sweet, and much appreciated, but while they had been advised of his attendance on our trip several times, they were still shocked when we arrived with him. They had to scramble to accommodate him which was worrisome since we were 5 hours from home!

The promised and advertised heated pool was not heated (and we found out at CHECK OUT had not been since early in the season though it was touted all over the web site) when we addressed this first with the front desk, and then with manager Jim Ash, our complaint was very poorly received. We were finally told to "just go to the other pool" at their sister property just across the way.

Again, we weren't looking for the taj mahal, but the "inn" was a dated motel at best, our room was damp and our balcony in one of the courtyard rooms not only viewed the grounds but each and every balcony of the other rooms, some directly attached to ours- not private at all! The free wifi was so slow I would have rather had the option to pay for wired in room internet for faster speed.

The location was great, very close to town, acadia and the road to head back home. The area is beautiful, dog friendly and an amazing place to go for vacation (especially with a dog- they can go just about everywhere with you!!) but next year we will either look into a less expensive property (where a small motel room with dated amenities and poor customer service would be expected based on the price tag), or perhaps we will splurge for a true inn on this beautiful island.

Room Tip: courtyard rooms that overlook the grounds and massive stonewalls are also directly attached, facing...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
hospitality04609, General Manager at Wonder View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear that you were not happy with some of your experiences with us at the Wonder View.

I apologize for the confusion about your dog and also about the heater in the pool. The heater was out for a few days while waiting for parts for repair and our best option was to invite you to use the pool at the Bluenose Inn. I hope you were able to do that and again apologize for the inconvenience.

Should you decide to stay with us again in the future I do invite you to express to the booking agent at our property the specific desires you have for your room and view. We have multiple buildings with a wide variety of options and genuinely seek to match you to your needs and wants.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

My dog and I recently stayed at this inn (we usually come to Acadia every fall to hike and rent a cottage) this year no cottages were available so I chose Wonder View. This is a absolutely lovely place to stay with your dog. We received a welcome package when we checked in that had a dog bowel, dog cookie, list of restaurant's that one can take your dog to. The staff were wonderful and very dog friendly. It is easy to get to the park and downtown from this inn. The grounds are lovely and a good place to walk your dog (the welcome package includes doggie poop bags!) I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
hospitality04609, General Manager at Wonder View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

It sounds like you and your dog had a terrific vacation with us. I am very happy to hear how much you appreciated all of the special touches such as the bowl, cookies, and doggie bags that we provide to make you and your "best friend" feel at home here.

I hope that you do have the opportunity to come back and stay with us again. Be sure to say hello in person when you do.

GM

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Well the rooms are dated, but very clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. However, the name matched the accommodations, it's wonder-ful.
Overlooking the islands and water to the east, nestled 400 feet above Bar Harbor...just delightful.
Also, they only charged $20.00 for our dog, which is reasonable compared to most.

Room Tip: Our room number was 43, again nothing to look at from the outside, but sitting on the porch you can...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your very positive review of Wonder View. We sit on the site of the Mary Roberts Rinehart estate that was named Far Veiw. Needless to say this view has been appreciated and admired for a very long time. We feel priveledged to be here and are always thrilled to share.

I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed staying here with your dog. We welcome people travelling with pets and so does much of Bar Harbor.

I hope that you will think of us next time you are in Bar Harbor and wish you happy travels wherever you may go.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

This inn is quite aged. It is not a place we would normally stay, but it served it's purpose for one night and we are no less weary because of it. It was very clean except where the tubs' top meets the tubs' bottom, there is a under ledge, only seen if you are taking a bath rather than a shower. There was lots of mildew on this hidden area. I went to the office to explain to them that the shower head was missing. (The reason I took a bath rather than a shower) My bad. Shower head is there, just a tube coming out of the wall. They could spend a couple more bucks and get real shower heads. The good things about this hotel are many. The view is beautiful, the mattresses and pillows are nice. The rooms have air conditioners. The staff was very accommodating, location was perfect and it was priced at $119 rather than $250+ the other "quaint" hotels were asking. I'll probably never make it to Bar Harbor again (We are from Texas) but if I do, I would not have a problem staying there again.

Room Tip: I don't know of any rooms that have an advantage over any others.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and also for taking the time to write this review. We are an older property and spend a great deal of time making sure that we maintain the quality standards deserved by our many customers who have been visiting here, in some cases, for a lifetime of vacations.

I am pleased that you appreciated our fine staff and that you found our price point to be good for you.

I hope that you will be able to return to our beautiful area again some day even though you travelled from so far away, and also hope that you will look us up if you do.