“totally disappointment in human compassion”

Eden Village Motel and Cottages
Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Parma, Ohio
“totally disappointment in human compassion”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I reserved the cottages for a stay to visit local college, I reserved the cottage over bookings.com, early in the year. I could not keep the reservation because my husband was diagnosis with brain and bone cancer. After his hospital stay he wasn't well enough to come home so he went into a nursing home, after 5 months he was allowed to come home but had to go back into the hospital because he had water on the brain that needed to be drained, after this he had numerous brain bleeds so we could not travel because of his health. I informed bookings.com but they told me the cancel was with the property. So a letter was sent to the property by my husbands physician. My Wyman Tapley of Eden Village contacted me and asked for my credit card information to cancel my reservation, Well this was a lie, when I called the office to give them my credit card information he then took money out of my account. I asked Mr. Tapley to refund my money because we were going out of state to get new treatment for my husband's cancer and I could use the money for expenses. To this day I have not heard from the man.

This may be a wonderful place to stay and I am not saying that it is not. I am just reporting the poor treatment and deception we encountered with Mr. Tapley.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
19 Thank dkm55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
Berea, KY
Reviewed 22 October 2013

It has been a couple of years since we stayed here, but, it was very memorable in the positive way. I was looking online at some maps of Maine at colleges that my son is interested in playing football at. I decided to follow my trail where we vacated in Maine when my boys were younger (alas) and came back across Eden Village on Google Maps. I can't say enough about the place. We had been on the road for nearly two weeks when we got there and we took advantage of the fishing pond every chance we got. The owners, a husband and wife, were very gracious hosts and they provided my two boys with a basketball to play with at the hoop in the parking lot and even allowed them to feed the fish one day at the pond. The rooms were a little dated, but, the hospitality of the owners really trumped any negatives. We arrived with no reservations, but, got lucky that there was availability at the small hotel in the back. If you like to fish (need no license, private pond) and would rather not just sit around a room when you are relaxing on vacation, this place is great! Thanks to the owners for the nice....memorable...stay. If I ever get back up there from Kentucky...I would stop and stay again without a thought about it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank papagrit
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Travelling from Australia to explore the Maine coast we booked this motel in advance and were delighted with the secluded position and outlook and yet we were within a short drive to Bar Harbour. We were recommended an excellent place to have dinner as well as the best golf course to play at in the area. Our motel room was spacious with a very comfortable bed with outdoor deck and eating area to enjoy breakfast in the sunshine. I'm especially grateful that after a moment of forgetfulness and leaving my coat behind at the restaurant we had dinner, the staff at Eden Village arranged to retrieve it and courier it to me where we were staying in Connecticut. Thank you so much we shall definitely recommend you to all our friends!

Room Tip: We stayed in a motel room at the end of the complex, but the cottages looked very nice and would be...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank John K
Diemen, Nederland
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in Eden Village.The motel is a little off the road, so it's nice and quiet. We stayed in the motel, but there are also a few cabins, in 2 sizes. Helpful and friendly staff. The motelrooms are spacious, light and comfortable. Good beds. There is a small kitchen with fridge, coffeemaker and microwave. The room is very clean.
The rooms have a big deck on the back with picknicktables. It's great to sit here and eat your freshly boiled lobster!

Room Tip: Some of the cabins seem small (but I didn't really check)
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mona R
Epsom, UK
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at this motel which is some 10 miles from Bar Harbor on September 25th and 26th 2013. We booked a deluxe room with 2 double beds. We had room no. 22 in the single storey motel part of the complex. The room had obviously been refurbished very recently including new floor coverings of carpet, and vinyl in the kitchenette area. The motel rooms and many of the cottages are set back some distance off the main road to Bar Harbor, unlike a number of motels on the way into town. The extensive grounds contain a large lake.

Our reception was friendly and welcoming. Our very large motel room also contained a kitchenette with 2 electric rings, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, utensils, crockery, cutlery and sink. Washing up liquid and cloths were provided. There was a breakfast bar and 2 stools. The room was light and airy and the double beds had bright and cheerful bed covers. The room was spotlessly clean. At the back of our room a door led out to a patio that ran the length of the motel block, where there were picnic tables. There was also a barbecue on the lawns behind.

Being some distance from the main road we did not have any traffic noise, neither did we have any inter room noise.

Whilst this is not the most luxurious of motels the property is attractive and well maintained. Our only criticism was that the shower unit did not appear to have been replaced during the refurbishment and hence was somewhat dated and cramped, although the shower itself worked well. We would recommend this motel particularly for anyone who wished to self cater for a night or two. As it is some distance from Bar Harbor self catering for breakfast is perhaps a good practical solution, although there are a number of restaurants on the road to Bar Harbor. The extensive grounds and barbecue/picnic tables should also appeal to families with children above toddler age (I wouldn’t recommend it for very young children due to the open access lake).

Room Tip: The motel rooms are set back well off the road. If booking a cottage, ask about the location as som...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Victoria37
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My family and I stayed here in early October and it was the perfect getaway! The staff was great! Offering restaurants to eat at and best of all - where to go to get into the park. With the government shutdown, the park was closed during our visit. But the owners told us how to get into the park on foot and by bike and where the best spots were to see the sunset (with Cadillac Mtn. closed). The cottages were perfect for the 4 of us - dated but kept up very well! We will surely be back again! You can't beat the prices for what you get ! Thank you for a great stay!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank BRTB25
Richmond, VA
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Staying in a cottage sounded great and my group was excited when we first arrived. Check-in was easy and pleasant and we received very good information on restaurants. The cottages are in a picturesque setting and the exteriors look fine, however, it goes downhill. Cottage 7 needs an extensive overhaul. The linoleum floors appear to have ground-in dirt, the upholstered sofa/chairs are soiled, there is not a single decorative piece of art on the walls, save for 1 wooden ship's wheel (I know, this is minor, but it adds to the dingy atmosphere). There was no soap/shampoo in the bathroom and really no extra bar(s) to hang a towel in the bath. The bath floor is water stained/damaged. The beds are atrocious - VERY noisy even when just turning over during the night so that you are afraid to move lest you wake up someone in the next bedroom. To top it off, the Keurig did not work next morning - so on top of uncomfortable rest the night before, no coffee ... HIgh hopes dashed...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends