First, I'd like to say that looking for accomodations in Bar Harbor is a frustrating experience. You see hotels that are grossly overpriced or so rock bottom that it scares you away. Then, looking at consumer reviews make you even more nervous when you read some of the horrible experiences others have had. When there are mutiple complaints about the same poor services, cleanliness, caters to wedding parties only, etc. at some of the premier locations it makes you want to rethink a visit to Bar Harbor all together.
That said, after looking at what was available for the time period we planned to be there, I closed my eyes, crossed my fingers, and pushed the "send" button on my reservation for the Atlantic Oceanside and immediately started apologying to my spouse about expectations. I've got to say, we would more than surprised upon arrival. No glitches at check in, helpful staff, the place was very clean and organized, the room was absolutely as promised - top floor of the new building facing out to the water. Although furnishings were slightly weary, everything was very neat and clean, and the bed was incredibly comfortable. WiFi and coffee in room and a breakfast room in the main building that would fix a hot breakfast if you wanted. The property is a bit outside of town - which was a good thing because it was extremely quiet and away from the crowds of tourists but most people would need a car to get in town or to the park. Plenty of free parking in the lot. Easy access to the Park without having to go through town.
Here's another great bonus - Bar Harbor is a stop for major cruise lines and those ships are HUGE and dwarf the entire harbor. I had seen photos of Bar Harbor online with one of them moored at the downtown dock and the last thing I would have wanted was to look out my waterfront hotel window/deck, that I've paid big bucks for, to see this horrible cruise ship blocking my view! There were two cruise ships in harbor while we were there and thankfully, not blocking my view!
We came away from Bar Harbor with no regrets about our choice of accomodations and would heartedly recommend the Atlantic Oceanside to anyone that would ask for a recommendation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on 12 beautiful acres just one mile from downtown Bar Harbor and the main entrance to Acadia National Park, the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel offers an ocean view from every room. Our brand new Atlantic View building offers everything you would expect from a modern hotel with fantastic views. Close enough to all the action of town, but just far enough away so you can relax. Our new rooms, friendly staff, and seasonal packages are the perfect combination of quality and value. Let us show you how beautiful the Maine coast can be.The AO is proud to announce the Grand Opening of its all new Bistro on Eden, a full service restaurant and bar.And with a great location comes great responsibility. The Bistro on Eden is a warm, lively restaurant and bar where people can be themselves and meet others in a friendly, comfortable setting. Overlooking Frenchman's Bay it offers smashing views and intimate outdoor seating, where every seat faces the Atlantic Ocean. We feature great tasting fresh, seasonal comfort cooking with ingredients that are primarily sourced from local, small scale vendors. Above all you can expect warm, genuine service. That is something upon which we pride ourselves.We are located inside the lobby of the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel, 119 Eden St. Bar Harbor, and Maine 04609. Open Wed. ~ Sat. 5Pm ~ 9pm ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Atlantic Oceanside Hotel Bar Harbor
- Atlantic Oakes Resort
- Atlantic Oakes Hotel
- Atlantic Oceanside Hotel And Event Center Bar Harbor, Maine