“Lovely views and facilities”

Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center
Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed for a week in June while running a meeting at the nearby college. The room was nicely appointed with a generous sink, nice tub with an adjustable shower head and extra hooks on the door AND wall (Thanks!). Everything was clean and neat. Microwave, safe and large fridge were useful. Wish I had known there was a DVD player. Wireless worked well and the desk chair was EXCELLENT. We were on the first floor and had a nice walk-out patio with chairs and table. Breakfast was generous and the coffee was great (always a plus!). We did not swim in the pools but other guests said they were nice although cold (June!). Small beach to wade in. Beautiful piers and a boat tour dock right at the hotel. The desk staff varied widely from very good to flaky...if you don't get the answer you want, call back. Negatives: my room door was left ajar by housekeeping so my key did not work when I came back. Front desk sent someone over with my key and they helped me check my room. My colleagues had trouble with their safes (locked on arrival...didn't work right). My only negative...the restaurant (which I think is leased to a different management group) had terrible service and the food was not up to Bar Harbor standards. Go somewhere else for dinner. Otherwise I loved this place and will try to come back!

Room Tip: I liked the walk out on the first floor in the northern building...but higher up would be a better v...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I would highly recommend the Atlantic Oceanside Resort and Conference Center as the perfect wedding location. For my daughter we chose to rent the Willows for the family and wedding party and it was completely charming and mystical. I fell in love with this 1913 mansion the moment I saw it. We spent 2 glorious days enjoying the beautiful mansion on the ocean. It has 13 rooms and could easily accommodate the wedding party. The rooms were large and spacious and many of them had balconies facing the ocean. Lauren the wedding coordinator could not have been more helpful and on her game with every detail. She made the planning part easy. We all enjoyed a perfect outside lobster bake on the lawn overlooking the ocean and enjoyed the sunset for the rehearsal dinner. The ceremony took place on the lawn with the gazebo and the backdrop of Frenchmans Bay. Afterwards the reception was held in the conference center which could easily accommodate our guests for the festivities. Sangeeva the chef worked his magic and helped my daughter pick a menu for her budget and still offer a tantalizing and unique menu which included a pasta station. Each guest was able to choose their ingredients and have their pasta prepared for them in seconds. There are many more things I could add that went along with making this wedding into a fairytale at this property. The day of the wedding many guests enjoyed the beautiful outside pool and hot tub. If you are looking for a captivating wedding location in Bar Harbor that is affordable this should be your number one choice.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
tony b, General Manager at Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for choosing to host your daughters wedding at the Atlantic Oceanside Resort and Events Center. This is truly a unique property in Bar Harbor and we are proud to be a part of so many major events in the lives of our guests. The Willows has so much history and is perfect for weddings and family events.

We are always grateful to our guests that take the time to wright a review and tell others how special this place is. Our wedding planner Lauren, is passionate about what she does and I believe that it showed with the success of your event.

All my best,
Tony Beckerley
GM
tony@barharbormainehotel.com

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I booked the hotel last minute cos we needed a place to stay for the night at Bar Harbor (yep, we like to travel by the seat of our pants!). The price was good & the ratings were favorable to us.. We were pleasantly surprise by the hotel & the beautiful surroundings (ocean view & garden). My son actually played at the playground for a bit! Our room was in the main building (2nd fl) & it was great!. Loved the ocean view! Everything was clean & we slept comfortably. Was worried we would be disturbed by people above us but we didn't hear any sound! 30 mins after settling in our room, the front desk called to see how everything was! Free breakfast was great but I ordered their blueberry pancakes for my son. It was delicious! The staff was very friendly. The hotel has a new building which looked fancier & next time we'll be sure to ask to stay there! Wonderful stay. Wish we stayed longer! Will def be back..

Room Tip: 2nd floor and above gets the best views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ani L
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

When we arrived, we were put in room 7111, a first floor room in the old building. I noticed that there were notes on the message pad in the room and messages on the phone. I didn't think anything about it. I'm allergic to everything that smells good (sunscreen, lotion, soaps). The next morning, I woke up covered in a bumpy red rash. I told the girls at the desk to have housekeeping change everything in my bed. I was in the hotel while my family did the park. I was sick all morning. I don't know if they never changed the sheets from when Gail (her name was on the messages) was in the room, and I had a reaction to her soap or perfume or lotion. I do know that I didn't have a problem with the room after the first night. I hate to think that I slept on some else's sheets!

The room has two queen size beds and a comfy overstuffed chair with foot stool. It also has a sink in the bathroom and a sink in the room. That made it easier for the four if us to get ready. I called a few days before we left and asked if the room had a microwave and fridge. I was told that it did. The room had a nice size fridge but no microwave. So much for the popcorn I brought. The rim also has a DVD player. If I had known, I would have brought some DVD's. I gave up on the free wifi that kept going in and out and just used my data plan.

The best thing about the room was being able to see the ocean. The view from the higher rooms is better, but we didn't reserve the room far enough in advance. I also like not being in town but being close enough to get to town quickly.

We enjoyed the hotel breakfast. It starts at 6:30, which means we can eat before we leave tomorrow. They have coffees, teas, three types of juices and water. I was impressed at the selection of decaffeinated teas. There are bagels, blueberry muffins, and a variety of other pastries. They also offer two types of yogurt and a selection of fruits. There is a cereal rack and even a small table with gluten-free bread, muffins, and cereals. I ate hot oatmeal with granola, raisins, and brown sugar every morning. We never left hungry.

It was a nice hotel, but I am still bothered by the sheets.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank jojustjo
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The location of this hotel could not be better. It is right on the water overlooking the ferry terminal that usually runs between Bar Harbor and Nova Scotia. The rooms were good sized and all had a deck overlooking the water. There are several buildings on this property. We were in the building with the main office and restaurant. Included in the price is a breakfast bar with pastries, oat meal and fresh fruit. Heavier breakfasts were available. Many folks walked down town but we drove and had no problems parking.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are the easiest but no problems with the upper floor. Buildings down close to the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The view was wonderful - we got to stay in the new building and on the bottom floor so we could walk right out to the water or sit and enjoy the view while reading a book. We arrived the day after the Car show but the place was still clean as a whistle. Just minutes from downtown so you're not right in all the tourist hustle, but the front desk was helpful with guiding you to activities. We went Whale watching and were lucky enough to follow a pod of 7 or 8 Fin Whales that surfaced 10 times for us while there. We went Kayaking which was peaceful and enjoyable. My wife's first time and she was nervous as heck, but the guides at National Park Kayaking were great. And I also highly recommend the bus tour of Acadia Park. (very educational) So all in all, although Bar Harbor is a tourist trap area, the Hotel was great, the vacation was great and the food was great (even though very expensive). Don't think lobster is cheaper in Bar Harbor because it's not. But still worth the experience. Oh, and the food at the Hotel was as good as any restaurant we went to in Bar Harbor. (I would also recommend Testa's in downtown)

Room Tip: Stay in the New Building if possible - even though you have to walk to the free breakfast in the rai...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Scott T
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We recently enjoyed a few days here as part of an old car tour. We had used this facility before and it has changed hands and been extensively redone since 2004. We stayed in the new building and the room was great! It was very large and had a nice water view from the balcony. I especially enjoyed that someone finally put the shower head at 7' or so, no more limbo dance in the shower!

The staff was great and the room was very well kept every day. With fifty antique cars the parking was important and worked well. If there is a complaint it is that they split our group up among the buildings rather than have us all together- a minor complaint at best.

Room Tip: The new Atlantic building is very nice!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends