“Nice enough”

Ranked #13 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Cary, North Carolina
“Nice enough”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We receintly stayed in Bar Harbor for a two night stay at the Atlantic Oceanside Inn. The room was lovely. It was clean and the views of the water are beautiful. The balcony is a great place to start the morning with a cup of coffee. The guest in the next room was on their phone in a heated conversation which took away from the ambience but after a few loud throat clearings, they got the message and moved their conversation inside.The property was a little further from town that I had anticipated but we never had a problem finding parking and Acadia was right around the corner.

The reason I am giving three stars is the service needs a bit of a tune up. The arrival process was fine but service was lacking everywhere else. No one went out of their way to be welcoming or warm. I had a bizarre experience with breakfast one morning. They stop service at 10am. I left the breakfast room to use the restroom and when I came back the door was locked. There were three employees standing outside the door and I asked to be let in and they said "I think breakfast is over". I stated that I knew that but my family was still inside and I needed to get back in. They looked at me like I had two heads, shrugged and went on their merry way. As a result, I walked through the kitchen. As I was maknig my way through the kitchen, everyone just looked at me. Um, was no one alarmed a guest was walking through a commercial kitchen?!! Not safe and alarming that no one would ask if I needed anyting!!! Instead of locking the door, why not put a banquet post outside the door announcing breakfast is over or post an employee for ten minutes? A guest should NEVER walk through your kitchen! I manage a luxury hotel and was aghast that this took place!

The propoerty is lovely and well kept. With a few service trainings, they could be much better.

1 Thank misskay6367
Tony B, General Manager at Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Greetings Misskay, Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on TA.

I am sorry that you were locked out of our breakfast room and had to go back through the kitchen. Obviously this should never happen and I will speak with our F&B manager to address this issue.

My primary goal is to provide excellent guest service in a beautiful relaxed setting. again I apologize for this inconvenience and hope that you will return for another visit.

If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me. 207-288-5801x1311

All my best,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
Kensington, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

The hotel is right on the beach, and we had a spectacular view of the harbor from our 4th floor room. The continental breakfast is good, and all of the staff were very helpful. We had a package and got to take a nature cruise from the pier right behind the hotel. The boat staff were great too, and overall, it was a fantastic vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the harbor!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Tony B, General Manager at Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post this review on Tripadvisor.

Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

On the good side: the front desk staff were superb. really great. And the views were very nice, the ocean was right there, our patio overlooked it, they do have a little stony pebble beach.
On the so/so side, for what I paid I would have expected the room to be more spotless: it wasn't, when I went around under the edge of the bed before leaving I found some things there that I knew we didn't bring, a playing card, a grape, a few other things--and we were there 4 nights so who knows how long that stuff was there, although at first glance the room always appeared clean, they tidied it up each day. Also kind of odd, they had no dish soap in the room (it was a kitchenette room), and we used a few dishes and left them in the sink, and they were still there when we came back, unwashed. We ended up using shampoo to wash them. (I didn't like the shampoo much for my hair anyway)
The mattress on the bed was not great either, maybe I noticed it more because I have a memory foam mattress at home, and the previous nights we were at an embassy suites which had a great mattress also.
I also would have expected more timely upkeep of the hot tub, it was "out of commission" purely for cleaning on our first night. We didn't die without it, but for what we paid...it would be one thing if it was broken.
The free breakfast was ok, only the oatmeal was warm (continental)--you can pay more for hot, but it was pretty stocked, and you can eat it outside overlooking the harbor if the weather's nice.
The other good thing about staying here was the bus stop connection right in the parking lot. We used that every day, and I strongly recommend the bus, parking in Bar Harbor would be horrible, but we never exposed ourselves to it. The Eden bus goes to a number of hotels right around ours.
As far as what is on the internet, I don't envy anyone trying to figure out where to stay in Bar Harbor with families. (if you are a couple--stay at a B&B/Inn!) I spend a lot of time mulling over where to stay, trying to have a reasonable budget, and had I known we were going to have superb weather (we DID, it was wonderful), I would not have paid more for this hotel, I really stayed here for the pool, almost no other hotels have indoor pools. If the weather had been worse we would have used the pool more (we only went 2/4 days). I would say, if you can afford to stay in town and hope for good weather then do it--those hotels mostly don't have pools, and outdoor pools would not be useful most days, the weather seldom goes over 75 here. Don't stay somewhere outside of town that doesn't place you really close to one of the bus routes, whatever you do...and from reading the reviews I am not sure that this is a bad hotel either, which is why I called it "average".

2 Thank Stutzman
Greetings Stutzman, Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

I do apologize for the housekeeping issues you experienced and I wanted to let you know that I have addressed all of these issues with our management team.

As the new GM here I assure you that guest comfort, room cleanliness and excellent guest service are my main items of focus.

I do hope you will return some day and please feel free to reach out to me directly if you would like to discuss this further. 207-288-5801x1311

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is just outside Bar Harbor which is a good thing because it is a very quiet location. The property is quite large with several buildings. We had a water view which was really nice because we watched the sunrise. The rooms are roomy with a small refrigerator and a nice comfy chair. The breakfast is included in the room rate which makes this a very reasonable place to stay. The best part is that there is lots of parking which is at a premium in Bar Harbor. The restaurant was good for dinner, and the service very good.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Pat,

I truly appreciate you taking the time to post this review on Tripadvisor and I hope that you will return again to enjoy this truly magical island.

Haverhill, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Tony and his staff at the Atlantic Oceanside do a great job and are totally committed to providing total customer satisfaction. This is one of the nicest cleanest hotels my Wife and I have ever stayed in and we can't wait to come back again. Our room had a great view and was spotless.

Room Tip: The Willows rooms are fantastic and have great views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind review. As the new GM here at the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel I am working my hardest to make sure everyone has a fantastic stay and that they will want to come back to beautiful Bar Harbor.

Tony
Avondale Estates, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

This was a very reasonably priced seaside hotel with great views of the harbor. Rooms were clean and had all the basics. While it is about a mile from the downtown area, there is a free shuttle bus that stops about every 15 minutes and runs to the downtown area. Was perfect for our needs.

Stayed July 2014
Tony B, Manager at Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel. I always enjoy hearing from our guests, especially about the beautiful views from our rooms.

all my best,
BETHEL PARK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed in the new building, very nice, the beds and pillows are so comfortable, the rooms are a nice size, and the bathroom very nice and clean. All the staff was very nice. When we checked in it was quick and easy, checkout was the same. We enjoyed the pool everyday, and had nice clean towels that were provided by the hotel. there is plenty of parking. The breakfast were nice, good fresh fruit, my only complaint, my husband ordered pancakes off the menu one morning and was told for extra syrup it would be $2.00. (odd)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lenorebp
Tony B, General Manager at Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review. I am sorry for the confusion with the extra charge for the maple syrup. We normally do include it with our pancakes. After all this is Maine, home to the best maple syrup.

Again I am sorry and thank you for staying with us!

Tony