“Great views” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Painesville, Ohio
“Great views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed on the top floor of the Maine building. Gorgeous views. Staff was pleasant and helpful. I had a phone charger die on me so I threw it away. The maid pulled it out and left me an "are you sure" note. I was impressed by that. Restaurant was good with good views. Only problem was the thin walls. We could hear our neighbor's TV. Would go back in aheartbeat.

Room Tip: Get a upper floor room. Views are spectacular
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Glenn F
Tony B, General Manager at Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Glenn F,

Thank you for staying with us and the nice review on TA. I see that you are from Ohio, I just moved from Ohio so I hope when you come back we get a chance to chat. Go Bucks!

Tony

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
South Brunswick, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel has a beautiful location, with ocean front rooms.

We stayed in their new building, which was very spacious . The rooms have large balconies with a fantastic view.

The breakfast room is a bit tattered , but clean. Pools are fantastic, offering an indoor and outdoor. This is especially helpful if you have kids as it provides an activity for rainy or cooler days.
Our only issue they staff and owners have a difficult time enforcing a no smoking policy . We had rude neighbors who smoked on the balcony non stop. We couldn't use ours when they were present, or leave our sliding doors opened. They should enforce a penalty
Other than that an excellent choice

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Tony B, General Manager at Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Hello Vbriody,

I am so glad that you enjoyed staying with us this past week and for your nice comments on our hotel amenities. I apologize for the inconvenience that was caused to you because of another guest smoking on their balcony, especially when we clearly have a no smoking policy. We will be doing an upgrade to our breakfast room very soon.

I hope that you will choose to return to Bar Harbor in the future and stay with us again.

Leesburg, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We decided to stop in Bar Harbor on our way home from a two week vacation farther north. We were very limited on where we could stay due to having our dog with us, as well as the fact that we called the day before to make the reservation.

The room was $219 with a $35 pet fee. We arrived at 1:30 and were told our room was not ready and we couldn't check in until 3. We decided to change our whale watch tour to the 4:30 trip because we had nowhere to leave our dog.

We returned at 3 and the room was ready. The lobby, room, and breakfast area were very outdated. The complimentary breakfast and the area it is served in needs to be updated and expanded upon. I wouldn't have a problem paying for a breakfast had I any idea.

In looking at the other reviews, I would venture to say that the room we had, which was pet-friendly, is much different than the rest of the hotel. We felt punished for being in a pet friendly room.

Check out time was inflexible as well, 11 or bust. The good news is that Bar Harbor is very dog friendly so you can take them into all the stores and outdoor eating areas.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank James N
Dear James N,

Thanks for your review on TripAdvisor, we sincerely appreciate all the feedback both positive and negative as that is how we know where we can improve.

Unfortunately we only have 6 pet friendly rooms that are all located in our Oceanside building. The Oceanside building is a bit older however it is right next to the water and these rooms tend to be our best vales especially during the peak season. We do charge a pet fee because of the extra cleaning required. Unfortunately many days we are not able to accommodate late check out requests because we really try hard to have all of our rooms ready for arrivals by 3pm which is earlier that most hotels these days.

if you have any other comments or suggestions please feel free to contact me directly.

Bonita Springs, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Hospitality, location ,service, all superb. Our stay there was made spectacular by the service and view from our room. Staff was attentive to all our needs and very informative about the area. Can't say enough about how great it was.

Room Tip: Room with a balcony water side, high up.
Green Features: Water conservation. Maintenance of the shore area. Green area around the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
Dear John P,

I cant tell you how much I appreciate your wonderful review of the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel. I am the new GM here and I love working and living in this beautiful town. My staff works very hard and I am trying to make sure that everyone here understands that guest service is our number one priority. again thank you for staying with us!

I hope you return again to Bar Harbor and choose to stay with us.

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

While I loved the ocean view from our room-- the property is tired and needing some TLC. The rooms are clean and comfortable-- but the tiny bathroom was annoying for 4 people to share over our 3 night stay. Breakfast was convenient-- basic and pleased my kids. Pool was clean and nice-- but had to hunt for towels. Great location near park entrance and clise to town. Did not realize the set up was more motel than hotel with doors opening directly to outside. Don't look for high service- but functional for family travel.

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
Dear Kzc27,

Thanks for taking the time to wright a review on TA. I started here about 6 weeks ago and wanted to let you know that I have been working very hard with the staff to make guest service our number one priority and i'm sorry if that was not visible to you.

Both of our pools and hot tubs are very popular and occasionally we have run out of towels and i am sorry that this has happened. We did just receive a new shipment and I have asked all of our staff to make sure to keep them stocked.

I'm glad that you liked our location and views and hope you will return again.

Sterling Heights, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Check-in was effortless. Staff was friendly. Rooms were very nice, updated bathrooms, clean room tastefully decorated. View was awesome looking out onto the harbor. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms have an excellent view of the harbor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank legalcarol
Hello LegalCarol,

What can I say other that thank you for staying with us and for your very kind review. I hope you come back to stay at the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and please say hi as my office is right in the lobby.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We decided to extend our trip an extra day. Got this one at a decent price. Was expecting more given the reviews. The room was large but the walls were paper thin. The smoke detector kept chirping around 11 pm. Just a few times. We called down to have someone come up and check it out. Nobody showed and someone called back after about 5 minutes to check on it explaining that the maintenance people had gone home. Thank goodness it had stopped!

The air conditioner was very loud and the room felt clammy. Breakfast is the standard continental fare but very busy with people everywhere.

The staff was very friendly. Don't think we would return given the other options available.

Stayed July 2014