“Took us by surprise!”
Review of West Street Hotel

West Street Hotel
Ranked #17 of 42 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Booked for one night only... Had we known how wonderful this place is, we would have prebooked for a longer period of time! Comfortable, spacious, just wonderful ! Needless to say that the location was fabulous! We are planning to come back to the West Street Hotel soon.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Pascale N

Reviewed 28 June 2013

The West Street Hotel is even lovelier than the photos, and the staff is helpful and kind. We were very pleased with our beautifully decorated, spacious and spotlessly clean room. The treats in the evening, complimentary water and fruit are all thoughtful touches. On our last night there, we had an excellent meal at the adjoining restaurant, and wished that we tried it sooner. Many times the advertising for a hotel oversells the facility, and the guest ends up feeling disappointed. But for us, the West Street Hotel was all that we had hoped for, and much more! We hope to return.

2  Thank Debbie L
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Each time I stepped through the doors of The West Street Hotel, I felt welcomed as a special guest. The cherry-on-the-top of my check-in experience was when I opened the door to my room and realized that I had been upgraded to a “harbor view” room. The room itself was modern, spacious, comfortable, and luxurious with a lovely nautical theme; the bathroom was modern, spacious, and very clean with a large walk-in, glassed shower. As I stepped out of the room onto the balcony and breathed in the wonderful salty breeze, a lone bagpiper played in front of one of the restaurants across the street. As comfortable as the room was, I spent most of my awake “hotel time” on that balcony watching the tide—and the fishing and tour boats—roll in and out of the harbor. The rooftop infinity pool—which was 2 floors above my room—was refreshing (not quite warm but not quite cool). Appreciated the hall’s pantry (water, coffee/tea/hot chocolate, fruit (during the day), and cookies (in the evening) as well as the business center where I printed out my boarding pass after an all-too-short stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2013

3 of us stayed in 2 rooms bayfront for 6 nights. Everything was simply amazing, from the staff, to the rooms and amenities. Centrally located within walking distance to most of downtown Bar Harbor. Cannot think of anything that has not been said in other 5 star reviews. We will be returning next year.

Room Tip: Request a bayfront room for the view
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank rudy4016
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Just spent 3 nights at this wonderful hotel. It was a return visit for us and everything was perfect once again.
The stay included use of the Bar Harbor Club and we enjoyed the pool and facilities.
Wonderful service by a young man named Taylor who had a smile that never quit.
He made our day at the club extremely pleasant and we hope he has a wonderful summer there.
The hotel management is very fortunate to someone like Taylor as an employee.
We look forward to returning to West Street Hotel again in the near future.

Room Tip: Be sure to mention you do not want a room across from the coffee pantry. One on each floor and peopl...
1  Thank gailvin
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I want to lend my voice to those saying that there isn't anything special about the hotel itself. It is new so it looks nice.

The staff are OK at their jobs, they are here for the season and know it. They are very friendly though none have gone out of their way to make it a great trip.

The fire alarm in our room went off three times in one night. Eventually we asked to be moved because we wanted to sleep at some point - they gave us a free breakfast at the Irish Pub. Who wants to eat at an Irish Pub in Bar Harbor?

The noise. Maybe it's because it is the start of the season but there is construction on the harbor so there is that noise, every 18 wheeler takes the main road into town so there's that noise and every motorcycle thinks you want to hear them rev their engine so there is that noise too. We were on a higher floor so I don't know what you would do on the 2nd floor.

It wasn't the placid vacation I was hoping for and I suppose that is my fault, had we looked at the negative reviews we would have had ample warning.

This isn't a slam of the hotel it is perfectly fine. The people are perfectly fine. It is noisy, it isn't restful and there are no quiet places to go to in the hotel. Keep that in mind when booking. If you're looking for silence and peace this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a clean place to lay your weary head before hitting the trails - then this place is fine.

Room Tip: Get a view of the harbor, the rooms in the back see parking lot only.
3  Thank Apollonius P
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a few days last week. It is a lovely hotel overlooking the harbour. We were upgraded to an ocean front room by the very pleasant and efficient receptionist ( I think her name was Callie?). The room was huge, extremely comfortable and the view was amazing. We had a very enjoyable stay in this hotel and would return.