“Our new favorite!”

Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Oakville, Canada
“Our new favorite!”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We had long heard about the charms of Bar Harbor, and this summer we finally got there. It was raining hard, and we couldn't even see the water, but the fire in the hotel's reception area was burning brightly and it couldn't have been more welcoming. If you are a sailor, or love nautical decor, the West Street Hotel will make you feel like you've died and gone to heaven. I forget which top clothing designer did the decor design, but it is wonderful. The rooms are large, airy, perfectly coordinated and have wonderful lighting features. The rooms are "smart" with lights that come on when you enter (at least the bathroom), so you feel the hotel is on the cutting edge of design.

The next morning, after two straight weeks of rain, the sky cleared and we saw the beautiful harbor and Bar Island. If our room had been at the other end of the hotel (we were at the restaurant end), our view might have been obstructed by other hotels, but our view was lovely. Our balcony was spacious, and we were high enough not to have a problem with noise from the street below.

Food in the restaurant was quite good, and our server was fabulous. We cannot recommend the West Street Hotel too highly.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room at the restaurant end.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NancyJBrown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We arrived in Bar Harbor after an exhausting long drive from Quebec City and had a wonderful surprise:
Sometimes when you look at hotels' pictures on the web – you expect one thing and get disappointed when you find out that the pictures were deceiving.
In this particular case - it was different: the pictures on the internet didn't make justice with the West Street Hotel, and we were amazed at how beautiful it was.
Its decorators did a marvelous job using maritime motifs. Every single detail was carefully chosen and was of highest quality.
I must say that I would love to have such rooms & bathrooms in my future house: they are vast, comfortable, modern and very pretty.

I don't like when hotels charge "Resort Fee": In my opinion it's a way to charge more and make prices look cheaper and more attractive.
Here – they do charge 25$ a night, but at least they let guests use the washing machines and dryers for no extra charge (they even provide you with detergent & fabric softener).
The resort fee includes free bottles of water and the use of the floors' kitchenettes, where everyone can have fruits, snacks and various hot beverages all day long.
Parking, Wi Fi and the use of the Gym and pools are included too.

The restaurant is excellent and very popular, and there's a beautiful view of the harbor from the front rooms.

I loved the West Street Hotel very much: It's on my World Top Ten list, and I'm looking for excuses for visiting Bar Harbor soon in order to stay at the wonderful West Street Hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank GiladIsrael
Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed here in July for our one year anniversary. I had been to Bar Harbour 8 years before and really wanted to go back for my anniversary. I picked the West Street Hotel because it was a great location and it had a pool on the roof. It was a great decision. We LOVED this place. The pool was amazing and we spent our 3 days there. We met some great people who were travelling as well and also spent some great evenings in Bar Harbour. Its easy walking anywhere and I would stay here again in a heart beat!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 2 November 2013

First of all, Bar Harbor, ME is my second home away from home when I leave Europe and have the chance to visit the US. I do love BH's people, streets, houses and Acadia, too of course.
This year I had the chance to travel there the fourth time and the first time alone. So I wanted to have a room with a view, a classy place close to everything 'important' within BH. I tried the have a room in those few hotels which are close to the downtown but regarding the peak season all of them were full.

I have learnt that the locals were furiuos against the new hotel which rules the cityscape nowadays if you look at the town coming in from the ocean. Yes, indeed. Comparing to all the other buildings there, the West Street Hotel is somewhat too large, too vain, a real monster among BH's beautiful, old-fashioned, small houses.
However I felt I had to try it...

Honestly, from the very first moment I stepped in, I fell in love with the place. It has a charming, friendly, stylish atmosphere. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are huge and well maintained, the view from the balcony is breathtaking and the bathroom both in size and in amenities is more than one could expect.
On every level there is a so called 'pantry' where they offer coffee, bottled water, fruites and cookies all day long free of chare.

All in all, I found nothing to complain in this hotel. (Their fares are quite expensive though...)

I know that this hotel should not have been built in the middle of this charming town but since it has been there...I probably will use it in the future.

Room Tip: Do not book rooms without harbor or oceanview rooms!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank RS1620
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 November 2013

WOW. What a gorgeous, fabulous new hotel in the heart of Old Bar Harbor. I was supposed to stay at the Bar Harbor Inn for 5 nights. Read my review and you will find out why I checked out. (Old Lady in Need of a Facelift) I looked at a few hotels around town, but this one topped them all.

The West Hotel is sleek, sassy and modern - a boutique hotel - with Tommy Bahama colors throughout (blue,red and yellow). We looked at a deluxe king as well as a two bedroom suite. For some reason they did not have a one bedroom suite floor plan. They have a beautiful gym across the driveway and an Infinity pool on the roof (5th floor) which is the place to be on a warm night to look at the stars. They also have complimentary WiFi that is lightening fast.

The deluxe room was beautiful - with balcony facing Frenchman's Bay , but I opted for the 2 bedroom suite. Overkill for the two of us, but at $650 a night it was a steal. I was paying $575
at the Bar Harbor Inn for nothing. ( Please note that the price of the West Street deluxe room was much lower than that.) I wanted space, and this corner suite on the 3rd floor fit the bill. And yes, we did use all the rooms. Amazing how that happens. Give me space and I will fill it. You come in from the hallway and go down a short hall. On your left is the 2nd bedroom and bath with a large window. To your right is the large brightly colored living room with two balconies and the other bedroom and bath beyond with its balcony. 3 balconies all with magnificent views of Frenchman's Bay. A different vista depending on which one you wanted to sit on. And best of all we had a perfect view of the Bar Harbor Inn. it does look scrumptious from the outside.
Best to leave it that way.

On each floor of the West Street Hotel they have a galley with one of those Kurig coffee one cup machines, chilled water in the frig, and cookies/brownies at night. All free! In the lobby they have a sundry shop and computers. Everything is light and airy, fresh and clean. light woods, the bright colors, a fireplace in the lobby too, and it is right in the heart of town. They have their own parking lot behind the hotel so you never have to worry about a parking space. From the West Street hotel, you can walk anywhere and everywhere and we did!

Just a few things to be aware of. If you do not get a 2 bedroom suite, your bathroom will have only a shower, but it is gigantic shower with all sorts of bells and whistles. The bathrooms are ultra modern. Second thing to be aware of is that the West Street Hotel is on West Street which is the main drag into town. There is no set back from the street - no lawn - and there is constant noise which I found to be fun. Nothing raucous and disturbing, just the sounds of the town. I would leave the balcony door open a bit so I could hear the garbage and delivery trucks come around 6:30AM. I am a city girl, so these sounds thrill me. I love to hear a town come alive. I watched the people come in from the cruise ships and scurry around trying to find tours and shops while I just relaxed. Ha. The noise is like white noise, but the higher up you go the less it is. Hotel has really 3 stories. Street level had the lobby and gym.

Room service, yes. This is from the restaurant attached to the hotel -Paddy's Irish Pub.
We did not use it as there are so many fine restaurants in this town. I would suggest you go to the website for the hotel. They have great photos that show it all, and you can see our suite
on the corner of West and Main, the third floor - suite below us had a wraparound balcony :))
If I ever come back to Bar harbor, this is the only hotel I would stay in. Did I mention that the service was also superb and that everyone was friendly and efficient. It has it all.!!

Room Tip: Every room is excellent. Get one facing West Street though. They do have ones facing the parking lot...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jean H
Kingsport, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The West Street Hotel is located n the heart of Bar Harbor. It is an easy walk to restaurants and shops. The hotel is clean, nicely decorated, and the staff is eager to please. The rooms are luxurious and most overlook the harbor.

If you are thinking about spending time in Bar Harbor, don't miss staying here.

Room Tip: The restaurant is better than average but there are some other outstanding choices in downtown Bar H...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank NPSQuality
Buffalo NY
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We had this hotel booked a year in advance for our trip to Bar Harbor at the end of August. Although it is quite pricey, the room and the amenities totally make up for it! We had a premium king room facing the water on the fourth floor, and it was spacious and spotless. Love, love, love the beverage and goodie station on each floor! The pool on the roof was a great way to wind down after a day in Acadia or whale watching. The staff is very helpful and friendly too.

Although we ate elsewhere every day (if you truly want great lobster, drive about 15-20 miles out of town....seriously. Go where the locals go.), we would definitely stay in this hotel again, and also recommend it to anyone who travels to Bar Harbor. I would not want a room facing the parking lot though, so make sure you ask for harborview.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple