“Second stay confirms it for me: good but not great”
Review of West Street Hotel

West Street Hotel
Ranked #13 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Columbus, Ohio
“Second stay confirms it for me: good but not great”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

There are a few problems holding back West Street from being a great hotel.

First, I've stayed at West Street on two separate occasions and parking was a problem both times. The "private" lot fills up and according to the front desk, the only answer is to park down the street at their sister hotel. When I told the front desk that that the lot was full and many of the cars had no West Street parking passes, I was told it's actually a public lot and I'd have to find a spot down the street. Curiously, West Street's lot is marked with many threatening signs indicating that you'll be towed if you're not a West Street guest. If the back lot is a public lot, why is it posted with threatening signs from West Street indicating that it's a private lot? It's all very frustrating and makes me angry when I can't find a spot. If that's true, West Street needs to level with their guests at check-in and tell them that the parking is inadequate, provide a valet, or some other solution. It's really a shame and it needs to be fixed immediately.

Second, Paddy's restaurant is nice looking (as is the whole hotel) with good food but the staff is overly concerned with accomplishing their assigned tasks rather than the customers. Every time I visited, I felt like I was eating/drinking in a work zone while the servers and bartenders washed dishes, rolled silverware, swept around me, counted their drawer, etc., etc. It's great that they try to stay busy but they really need to balance that with an understanding that people are trying to relax. I always felt like I was in the way.

And last, as mentioned by other reviewers, West Street provides a "pantry" in each floor's hallway where guests go to get coffee, water, fresh fruit, etc. It's an interesting concept and works well ONLY if the pantry is always stocked. To their credit, in my two stays at West Street they never ran out of coffee or cups. But other supplies do sometimes run out. In my visit last week, the coffee milk was empty on my floor's pantry for my entire three night stay.
Other than the parking, I consider these last two items minor issues. If West Street fixes these problems, they will have a great hotel. Right now, it's just good.

Room Tip: Harbor view is essentially the same as ocean view. Don't pay more.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
chris torrey t, General Manager at West Street Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Badmoth,

Thank you for letting us know about your stay, your feedback is essential for our improvement. At this point we have placed a parking attendant at the parking lot to better orchestrate parking for our guests, your frustration is understood. We are working diligently to best correct as there is adequate parking for our guests.
We have discussed the other issues with the proper managers of departments, these will be addressed and serve as benchmarks for our upcoming season.
We hope you will afford us another opportunity in the future, please contact myself beforehand as I would personally like to make sure your stay is great, not just good.

Chris Torrey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We just spent the last 4 nights at the West Street Hotel and loved it! It has the perfect location with wonderful views of the harbor. Each evening we would sit in the balcony and watch the beautiful sunsets. The location was also very near all the shops/restaurants in Downtown.

Our room was quite nice with a king bed and a sitting area with a sofa and 2 chairs. The bathroom was quite nice as well with a huge shower with a rain-head type shower. Our room was kept very clean throughout our stay.

The common areas were quite nice as well with an appropriate nautical theme, but not it a cheesy sort of way. Breakfast was included in our room rate and we ate at Paddy's each morning. They had typical breakfast offerings as well as Irish breakfast specialties. Both service and food were great each time.

The only area of improvement I could see that was needed was in regard to the snack bar areas they have on each floor. Our floor's was not replenished as frequently as it should have been, as early in the mornings the coffee creamer would be out, or late night offerings would be gone when we returned from dinner.

Overall our stay was great, and I will definitely return and will recommend to anyone going to Bar Harbor!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank William C
Dear, William C,

Thank you for your kind review letting us know about your nice getaway with us. Enjoying the ocean views from our rooms is part of what makes our location very unique. We are glad the nautical theme worked well for you in the rooms, and we shall make sure that you room cleanliness comments are passed along to our housekeeping department!

We appreciate your feedback concerning the pantries. Your comments have been shared with our entire staff and we are working to improve this.

New Bedford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 May 2014

First off, THIS PLACE WAS GREAT! STOP READING AND BOOK BEFORE THEY SELL OUT!!

Staff:
The staff was super friendly! Easy check in/check out. Happy to help me get a toothbrush after forgetting mine at home, and even made sure the fireplace in the lobby was always lit (yes a real fireplace). All of the housekeepers were very polite and would say hello as you walked past them in the hall.

Property/Location:
Great! Right on the water and near many shops and restaurants. Also near where the cruises come in. There is a HEATED roof top infinity pool with amazing views. This pool is 18+ which is great! there is a family pool across the street that is just as nice! (only hotel guests can use the pools) The property itself was very nautical and most importantly CLEAN. Since it's only about 3 years old, this is expected. Hopefully they can keep up the cleanliness. The rooms have a balcony with chairs and a glass door shower.

Restaurant:
There is an Irish pub right below it, but I never went. Looked like it would be a great place to have dinner. Unfortunately when I was there it rained everyday so I didn't get to experience too much.

Tip: There is a $25/night "resort" fee for wifi, parking, pool, etc. We didn't get charged since not everything was accessible I guess. Pretty cool, but be prepared to pay that on top of room fees.

Overall, we loved this hotel. We loved it so much that we looked how much it would be in the summer and found out it was more than double what we paid in May. If you have the extra money, GO! Or try and sneak in during the off-season like us. You won't regret it! Everything about this hotel was GREAT! No cons at all!!

Room Tip: you must insert your room key in a slot to the side of the door for the power to work in the room!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert P
Dear Robert P,

It was with great pleasure that I read your “One of the BEST” review of the West Street Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am glad you were able to enjoy much of what our resort offers with your visit and guest service is consistently meeting your expectations. Most importantly, we are proud to be a part of fond memories, nothing means more to us!!

I will be sure to share your review with our associates. We hope to see you again in 2014!!

Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We loved our stay at West Street Hotel! Super clean, excellent service, beautifully and tastefully decorated. Right downtown perfect location to walk to everything. We wish our stay was longer so we could have taken advantage of all the hotel has to offer.

Room Tip: pay a little extra for a harbor view room, well worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nowaythisisridiculus
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This review is long overdue . . . My husband and I visited the West Street Hotel for our one year anniversary in June of 2013, and we can't say enough good things about it. Being our one year anniversary, we had really high expectations and West Street Hotel exceeded them all.

We booked the corner harbor view room - a bit of a splurge that was 100% worth the extra cost. The room was HUGE, with an extra large bathroom and two porches (both with a view). I really enjoyed the nautical design and the little touches of antiques throughout. I'd read comments about lighting in the bathroom not being bright enough ... there may have been updates between when those reviews were written and when I visited, but I didn't find it to be a problem at all.

The hotel had lots of nice touches that made it feel very different than our visits to other hotels. We loved the snack stations which always had fresh fruit or cookies, ice and unlimited coffee or tea. The lobby was very cozy too.

Our favorite part of our visit was the adult only rooftop pool. We love children, but on our anniversary getaway appreciated the quiet afternoons. There was plenty of seating - though go early to grab one of the best spots in a "clam shell." During our visit to Bar Harbor, we meant to get out and go hiking but found our afternoons at the pool to be so enjoyable that we didn't wander too far beyond. We ordered lunch from here daily as well as cocktails and found everything we ordered to be delicious.

Finally, I can't say enough about how great the service was at the West Street Hotel. We were married at the West Street's sister hotel, The Samoset, so are very familiar with the top-notch service this family of hotels provide ... but it was still very appreciated. Whenever we needed suggestions from the front desk, they remembered us and greeted us by name. The manager was very friendly and sent us a bottle of champagne for our anniversary. Really, from arrival to departure everyone made sure to make our trip unforgettable.

We loved it here, and plan to make a trip every June!

Room Tip: The Executive King Corner Suite was so roomy with two balconies, a HUGE bathroom and lots of sun. Lo...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EOllis
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed at the West Street Hotel as the last stop of a new England vacation we took with our family this last summer. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. the amenities were fabulous. We got a two room suite for us and our two boys. It was lovely wonderful views of the sound we enjoyed every evening with coctails. the restaurants and location are perfect for anyone vacationing in bar harbor. the pool club available for the kids is wonderful as well. If we visit again we will surely stay there again!

Room Tip: eat at the lobster pot across the street its great
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank themikecinva
York, Maine
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Beautiful place. Lovely view and our room was comfortable with a nautical theme that wasn't tacky. I loved that they had a snack station on each floor and they were very pet friendly.had a roof top pool as well!

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple