“The Perfect Splurge!”
Review of West Street Hotel

West Street Hotel
Ranked #17 of 42 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I decided to splurge for the last night of our honeymoon and stay at this incredible hotel. The service was on point. Soon after our arrival a complimentary bottle of champagne was delivered to our room in celebration of our recent marriage. The complimentary bottles of water and laundry were very much appreciated. The room was exactly as it appeared online. We had a king size room with a view of the ocean, which was just remarkable. We enjoyed sitting out on the balcony and watching the sunset and sunrise over the water. The bed was comfortable and the shower was amazing. The affinity pool on the roof is perfect and a truly unique experience; I didn't want to leave. The location couldn't be better, with lots to do within walking distance. We hope to be back during our next trip to Maine.

Room Tip: Rooms with an ocean view are worth it!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We had been to Bar Harbor once before, so we kinda new the lay of the city and where the good locations where to stay at. This was our last stop on our 3 city vacation tour, so we knew that we wanted to stay somewhere pretty nice. We opted for the West Street Hotel...it was AMAZING in nearly every possible way. Rooms were equipped with high end fixtures, furniture, decor, even the bath room was custom.

If I had ANY complaints, it would be that the roof top pool should NOT be for adults only ALL THE TIME (we were REALLY bummed out that we could not let our 9 and 12 year old boys experience the pool deck.) I would suggest that they at least allow kids to use the pool, if even for a limited time (12-4pm?). We partially used that roof top pool to "sell" our kids on this hotel.

That being said, we DID get to use the property across the street (a country club of sorts) that had a large pool, tennis courts and some grassy area (my boys couldn't go a week without running around and throwing the baseball).

The staff was REALLY friendly and besides my gripe about the top deck pool, we had a GREAT stay. This is one of the few hotels that I could actually LIVE in full time! Loved it!

Room Tip: Gotta look out at the sea! On Friday's and Saturday's, there is a live band down at Paddy...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jcsmith007
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Having stayed at high end B&B's in town on all our past trips, we decided to try West Street Hotel based upon the various recommendations online. The hotel, however, is not the upscale "boutique hotel" it wants to market itself to be. Yes, there are food pantry areas on each floor with coffee/tea, water and fruit or cookies each day. Yes there was a pool on the roof, but the front desk informed us on check-in that the heater was broken and would be cold water the entire 5 days we were there. Yes, the lobby is pretty with a nice coastal decor. However, what you are paying for is a room and the ocean view room we booked (reserved months in advance, requesting high floor) was a routine hotel room. Not particularly spacious, nothing special about the furniture, and no real character to the room. It could be a Holiday Inn or any other chain hotel for the feel you get from the place. On check in, staff also wanted to slot us into a 2nd floor room (despite our request), and took some stubbornness on our part to make them move us up a bit higher. We also had to complain about the noise as one of the restaurants downstairs (which the hotel parent corporation also owns) blasted its music throughout the entire night -- hours after it closed for the evening. And there is a $25 daily resort fee, which covers activities most guests will never use. Tip: stay at one of the nice B&Bs in town for the same price as these expensive, overpriced hotel rooms (and, when you stay at a B&B, breakfast is included). I don't mind paying a lot (!!) for nice hotel rooms, but this would not be what I would describe as a luxury hotel room.

Room Tip: The higher the better, to avoid the street noise and loud music from the restaurants below.
1  Thank Ron G
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Great location, beautiful room overlooking the harbor. Clean, new surroundings. Convenient coffee bar in each hall. One draw back: very expensive and the staff we met were not particularly helpful or welcoming. Specifically, room not ready on time and no air conditioning the first night.

Room Tip: Definitely harbor view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Suzyr147
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My family and I stayed for three nights in July. The hotel is in the best location and overlooks the harbor. It is a new hotel. The rooms are very clean, and the design and finishes are world class. The staff is courteous and hard working.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Mwittil
Reviewed 1 August 2014

TIP: Get a Harbor View Room. No breakfast. Guest laundry-ask for detergent and fabric softener sheets at front desk. Reserve an Aero air mattress before arriving if you need one. Get your $20 Acadia Park Pass and map at the Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce (2 Cottage Street-just a short walk from the hotel).

West Street is the street to stay on. I was not disappointed with my choice of the West Street Hotel. It is close to everything: shops, restaurants, the famous Sand Bar, boat trips, etc. We had a harbor view room with a deck overlooking the marina. It was great to sit outside with your morning coffee from the Coffee Hound and people watch or later in the evening to listen to Irish music from Paddy’s. Pay the extra money for a harbor view. The nonview rooms overlook the parking lot. Who would want to sit out on these decks in the full sun looking at a parking lot? I did not experience the parking issues that others had. The valet parked my car in the back lot. I did use my car to go out, and never had an issue parking. Breakfast is not included, but that was part of getting to know Bar Harbor: eating at different places for breakfast and dinner. My personal favorite for breakfast was Jordans Restaurant. Most of the mornings I stopped at the Coffee Hound for a fantastic cup of joe followed by a muffin at the new Pink Pastry Shop. The daily resort fee includes the use of a pantry on each floor with water, ice, dog biscuits, morning fruit and evening cookies that has a commercial sized Keurig, but take my recommendation and walk around the corner to the Coffee Hound. You can sit in the park across the street or along the water on a bench and enjoy the view and your coffee. The resort fee also includes the use of the guest laundry on the third floor, parking, and The Bar Harbor Club fitness facilities and Kids Camp. I would use the small gym at the hotel which overlooks West Street. The one in The Bar Harbor Club is dark and without a view. Had they designed it differently, it would have been more appealing. Not so cave like. The pool is a heated lap pool right on the water. This is a lap pool. No lane dividers but it does have the painted pool lanes to help guide you. A hot tub is right by the pool. Pool towels are available. Another way to get to know Bar Harbor is to walk The Museum in the Streets. You can pick up the map at the Chamber of Commerce or in the downstairs lobby of the hotel. This is a historic walking tour with 29 plaques. You can start right outside the hotel and follow the walking tour along Shore Path. It includes Abbe Museum which is a great rainy day activity. Other rainy day activities include: Mount Desert Oceanarium (outside of town) and Dive In Theater with Diver Ed (close by-great for kids).

Room Tip: Harbor view room well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank LifeWithNoRegrets
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Very push place in the heart of Bar Harbor. Having been to MDI and stayed in Bar Harbor numerous times before this was a pleasant surprise, but unfortunately, I think the height of the season may have caught up with the staff. I have read previous reviews, and saw the signs that say there would be silver and stem ware at the guest pantry as well as evening sweeties (not that I need any), but none were to be found. Also, no milk or creamer for the coffee at the pantry. Now, it didn't ruin my stay, but in a customer service-based business, don't over-promise and under-delivery. Also, I asked for early check-in, understood it might not be available, but gave the woman at the desk my mobile number. Check-in was at 4:00 pm, at 4:05 when I walked up to the desk, I had yet to receive a call. Again, minor, but if you are charging premium prices and want to be thought of as a premier hotel, you need to act like it.

Room Tip: The harbor-view rooms over look West Street which can be a bit noisy.
2  Thank Timothy W