“Some Disapointment”

and 1 more site!
West Street Hotel
Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I booked an ocean view room which cost more than the harbor view. It is the same view. We are on the 4th floor so that is good but you still see traffic and hear noise on the street. Room is up to standards for luxury hotels. Location is excellent. Bar Harbor is at your door step.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
chris torrey t, General Manager at West Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Dave H,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay in Bar Harbor, our guests feedback is much appreciated . At the West Street Hotel we strive for 100% guest satisfaction, I am very sorry that your experience did not meet expectations for the value. We have some stunning views on our property, being right across the street from the water.

I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy the location of our property as well as our luxurious accommodations.

There are newer reviews for West Street Hotel

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Its a nice hotel. No doubt. Is it worth the price? No. However, I guess with high in-season occupancy rates, management is not yet incentivized to fix the silly little things that could make this a great hotel.

The rooms are nice - period. Linens, bathroom clean, just everything you would expect in a luxury hotel. We had a 'harbor view' room #215 that looked out at a tourist gift shop and a tree. If you leaned out on the balcony you could see water :-) We were pleased with the A/C.

Our pet peeves: There was only one bellman/valet. When we arrived there was no one outside to greet us, so we unpacked our own luggage. When the bellman returned, he avoided eye contact and never greeted us or offered to help. I did not bother saying anything, because at that point he was getting no tip. The front desk was great. We were bummed about the roof top pool being limited to those 18 and over. It was why we booked ... and not a fun conversation with my 11 and 14 year old girls. Maybe they could relax that age limit a bit? Or do a better job of communicating BEFORE a reservation is made? The Bar Harbor Club pool and tennis courts were awesome - far better than the rooftop pool. So, we got over the rooftop pool issue quickly. Parking was limited, but manageable. One night we came in at about 7 pm and there was no parking - but we were able to valet - so that was a good save. So, really, as nitpicky as we are, we had a good time and enjoyed ourselves - which is really a rave review. The location was awesome. However, at Sevan Hundrad per naght (sic ... so the auto filters will not remove), we were expecting more. Hence, the 4 star review rather than something higher.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KenSMartin

Dear KenSMartin,

Guest feedback such as yours is greatly appreciated, for our continuous success here at the West Street Hotel, you have provided great constructive comments that management will certainly be addressing.

Thank you for bringing up a few alarming concerns regarding the service provided by our bellman and reservations department, this is not a service that our guests have come to expect from our luxurious property and I certainly apologize that you were effected by this oversight.
I am very pleased to read about your positive expereience and am so grateful that you were able to enjoy our property and all the amenities that we have to offer. I am very sorry that the value was not quite to expectations during your stay.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide great constructive thoughts for our management team, we continuously strive for all of our guests 100% satisfaction and we hope that if you return to the Bar Harbor area, you will give us the opportunity to provide yet another enjoyable vacation.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at West Street Hotel for four nights. It was the first trip to Bar Harbor for both of us. The location of this hotel is perfect - across the street from the harbor (most rooms have harbor views) - and within walking distance to everything that you need - restaurants, shops, whale watching and the free Island Explorer bus to Acadia National Park. The rooms are expensive, but you know this when booking the room - if it's too high for you, then don't book a room here. One reviewer used the word "oasis" to describe this hotel, and I would agree - it was great to come back to a new, clean room when you're tired and sweaty after a day of hiking at Acadia. The views from the rooftop pool are phenomenal, although the weather was a little too chilly for us to go into the pool. I'd recommend getting a room with a harbor or ocean view - otherwise, you will have a view of a parking lot. We didn't have any issues getting fruit, cookies, or bottled water as other reviewers have mentioned. One added benefit is that the hotel has free guest laundry - just ask for soap and dryer sheets at the front desk - but note that the guest laundry is only in one location on the third floor - we did two loads of laundry while there, which allowed us to avoid bringing home smelly sweaty clothes. I'd recommend West Street Hotel for anyone on their first trip to Bar Harbor - parking is included, and everything is so close by - you don't have to worry about anything. Once you've gotten your bearings of Bar Harbor, then you can decide (for your next trip) if the high cost of this hotel is worth it for your needs.

Room Tip: Harbor or Ocean View room - preferably on a higher floor (however, there are only rooms on the secon...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sara W

Dear Sara W,

I was pleased to read about your first experience in Bar Harbor, and that our property was able to provide great accommodations for this experience. Our roof top pool provides some of the best views in the downtown area, I like to think of our property as an “oasis” as mentioned in your review- we continuously strive to provide a luxurious experience for all of our guests- I am happy to hear that we were able to deliver this during your stay.

On property we offer many exclusive amenities such as our guest pantry area and guest laundry and we are pleased that you were able to utilize these amenities during your stay.
We hope that if you return to the Bar Harbor area, we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

we reserved a room on the 4th floor for 3 reasons. 1-unobstructed view 2-noise from street
3-very strong fried seafood smells permeate the room. we reserved 2 notes. it is an expensive room. the room is on the 2nd floor. the view is a touristy outdoor 2 level seafood restaurant. the room is overwhelmed with the smell. you can clearly hear the noise and screaming kids. when we tried to check in, they told us we only a room for one night. after seeing the printed confirmation they begrudgingly admitted we had 2 nights. they said they no available rooms on the 4th floor for us, but that our room is at the end and has unobstructed ocean views. a flat out lie. the hotel is new and has a good location, but the room is small for the price and the smell is a killer.

Room Tip: try another hotel!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hjlawdoc

Dear hjlawdoc,

I would like to apologize that your experience at the West Street Hotel was not up to expectations, we strive to provide 100% guest satisfaction. I would like to personally apologize that we fell short in our execution during your stay. Our oceanfront rooms are located on the second, third and fourth floors- we try to accommodate all of our guest requests to the best of our inventory availability, I certainly apologize that we were not able to deliver this during your stay.

If you choose to return to the Bar Harbor area, I hope that you will contact me directly to ensure that you receive the service and accommodations that our guests have come to expect from our luxurious downtown properties.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is a very nice hotel, with friendly staff. A very nice roof top pool with drink service. The pool has an excellent view of the ocean. The rooms were very clean and the room we chose had a balcony. Just a short walk through downtown Bar Harbor for breakfast in the morning. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear GracieF2009,

I would like thank you for taking the time to provide such a great review regarding your recent stay at the West Street Hotel. Your review is direct and to the point, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations, the location, and the view.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the West Street Hotel!

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful and comfortable I could live there. I didn't think the price was bad for a harbor view room compared to what you pay at other hotels. It is the center of all activity. The rooms are beautiful with nice furniture, spacious and you can enjoy your balcony. The 25 dollar resort fee isn't that bad. You get free valet parking ,free internet ,free use of a pool club , free laundry, and all the free water ,coffee ,tea ,hot chocolate ,cookies and fruit. I had no trouble with the availability of any of these items during my stay. After seeing the other hotels and the sheer number of people trolling for parking spots every day I was glad I stayed here.
One thing I have to scold them on is my son left his wireless mouse in the room...well need I say it's gone even though I called right if way to report it being left. Very disappointing. I still gave 5 stars because quality of one person shouldn't taint the entire review.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank aweiss00

Dear aweiss00,

Thank you for your very kind words regarding your recent stay in Bar Harbor. We have a beautiful property and I am always happy to hear all of the guest feedback regarding the view and the accommodations. The title of your review says it all!

I am pleased to hear that our guests, such as yourself, are able to take advantage of all the different amenities and services that we offer for all of our guests.

I certainly apologize that we were not able to retrieve the lost item, but I am happy that this did not deviate your great review of our property.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is a beautifully appointed hotel with amazing rooftop pool and large well appointed rooms, and there is no doubt the best location in Bar Harbor ... HOWEVER, beware when it comes to your credit card. We booked online on a book and save rate with prepayment. Payment however was NOT taken and they looked for another CC on check in even though the details of the original card were on their system. They then took a further pre authorisation from the additional card and even though we checked out 7 days ago, we are still waiting for this money back into our card... A disgrace. As we currently stand, this room has been charged for twice.
We also had poor experiences with the front desk - keys not working and having to wait 10-15 mins to have reset on a number of occasions... You would expect a far superior level of service when paying these prices.
A pantry is offered on each floor, however, again for these prices you would be expecting more. More often that not, there were no cookies and very little else!
This could be a fantastic hotel but there are a good few issues that need to be addressed and improvements made in service.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Chopper24,

You have provided great constructive comments, feed back such as yours gives us the opportunity to correct these service errors that you encountered during your stay. This is not the level of service that our guests have come to expect and I would like to personally apologize that the service was not up to our high standards.

I trust that the credit card charges have been sorted out, if not I hope that you will contact me directly to ensure you are not double charged.

We have a beautiful property and I am pleased that you are able to see our potential- I hope that if you return to the Bar Harbor area that we are given the opportunity to show you the level of service our guests have come to expect and receive.