“Not sure about the Thai food....but I'll tell you about the sushi”
Review of SIAM Orchid

SIAM Orchid
Ranked #73 of 151 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Very surprised at the overall rating by other for this restaurant! Granted, we didn't try the Thai food, but the sushi was not good....grocery store sushi would have been better.

To start, upon entering, the employees (4 of them) were sitting at a table in the restaurant eating their lunch. One of the workers finally got up and we told him we would sushi. He led us to the "sushi bar" which was more of a glorified storage area. There were three chairs.....one of them had the workers coat on it, the middle one was fine, and the third had a pile of magazines and papers in front of it. We chose to eat at a table instead.

I went upstairs to the restrooms. I had to manuever through racks of 6-packs of beer to find it. The soap dispenser was empty, but a very cheap, very weak, very large (industrial size) bottle of hand soap was on the sink, and almost empty. The whole restaurant, in general, was dark and uninviting.

As far as the food was concerned, I had the Boston Roll and the Tempura Shrimp. The Tempura Shrimp was just ok. Not much flavor and was warm. The Boston Roll was terrible! The salmon in it was apparently cooked in the tempura batter and grease. It was over-cooked at that.....I have never had such tough, dry salmon. Even I will eat sushi that is just ok when I have a craving for it, but this was so bad, I couldn't even make myself eat it.

Very disappointed and will not go back here again.

1  Thank Susan C

Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

This place is great! My boyfriend loves authentic Thai food and can order his food how he wants it. They always do a great job and service is great!

Reviewed 16 August 2013

This is a small place with a patio. It was nice sitting outside. The service was attentive and the food was very good. We both had curry dishes that were well prepared.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Siam orchid is tucked down a side street just off main st, it was a roasting hot evening so me and my sister decided to sit outside and people watch. The service was prompt without feeling rushed, and they were full inside with only one free table outside. The food was lovely, veggie spring rolls were crisp with a great taste and there was a nice choice for my vegetarian sister and myself ( I love my meat). Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Love the Thai hot soups and sushi! Love the Punang as well! Just wish the food was a little more consistent. Will love it one day, then its just ok the next. Staff is always friendly and they do to go orders often.