“Learned a lot in just a few hours”

Acadia Photo Safari
More attraction details
Owner description: Acadia Photo Safaris are hands-on nature photography tours conducted in Acadia National Park and led by Howie Motenko, a local, professional photographer. Every photo safari explores camera setting choices, creating compelling and engaging compositions and developing a photographic awareness enabling you to capture Acadia's natural beauty. All photographers and all skill levels (beginner and beyond) are taught in a small, intimate group (limited to 6 participants) during our 3-hour photography tour. Safaris are offered in the mornings, afternoons or evenings to suit your schedule.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Howie was very fun to get to know and learn from as well. Definitely knew what he was doing as he has a lot of experience. I was the only person for this session so it was a lot more focused and that was great! I went in knowing the very basics and came out with a much better understanding of photography and composition in general. I learned to use the environment and geography to my advantage to get the best picture possible. Next time Im in Bar Harbor I will be doing this again!

2  Thank aaronul
There are newer reviews for Acadia Photo Safari

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Howie and Brenda where wonderful hosts on their boat. Howie taught me new things about my slr camera- functions that I didn't even know about! And got great pointers on how to figure out settings to use in the various lighting conditions we experienced. We saw seals, an osprey nest, a lighthouse, a gorgeous sunset,...
I greatly enjoyed being out on the beautiful coast of Maine! Thank you so much Brenda and Howie!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have to admit that I am a point and shoot camera girl. I booked the safari because Gary is a budding photographer. I hoped to find someone that would be interested in discussing F stops and shutter speeds. Boy am I glad that I went! We took the Ocean trip and spent a lovely evening photographing seals, eagles, osprey, harbor boats, cranberry island, and the sunset. Brenda (Captain Brenda) works well with Howie. She can predict what he wants before he can even say it and clearly is enjoying this adventure. They get along terrifically which makes for a wonderful outing. Howie is fun and quirky plus a great teacher. He walks you thru your camera and the settings before heading out to sea. Then Howie explains how and why he sets up the shots as he does. You practice his lessons (composition/focusing/etc.) and he reviews your photos to drive home his point. We had great weather but please keep in mind that Howie can't order up the weather and sometimes clouds can make for more dramatic photos. Either way, It is a trip well worth taking. Enjoy!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I went on a Sunset Cruise Safari with photographer Howie Motenko on a 28-foot 'lobster yacht' piloted by his sweet wife Brenda. Howie gave me some great tips for shooting on the water and Brenda placed the boat in optimal locations for getting the best shots. At just $75 per person for a three-hour trip, this is a great deal that I highly recommend for photographers at all levels. Whether you are a novice or a pro, Howie's number one goal is to help you improve your photography and have fun doing it. He and Brenda are two of the nicest people I've ever met and just spending an afternoon with them is reason enough to book a safari, but if you love photography, this is a unique way to get some fantastic pictures, improve your skills, and get out on the ocean.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I accompanied my wife, the dedicated photographer, on the photo safari recently. What great fun. Howie and Brenda have put together a trip to photograph all the iconic Maine scenes but with an "eye" to getting the best shot, in the best light possible. You'll see MDI like you've never seen it before, even if you've been here many times. They've carefully planned the tour with several stops to photograph seals, bald eagles, sea birds, osprey nests, a working harbor with lobster boats (how DO they get the boats all arranged in the same direction <grin>), sailboats underway, and a fantastic view of MDI with the sunsetting over the mountains. Photographers will swoon. Even if you're accompanying your photographer friend/spouse, you'll thoroughly enjoy the trip, learning to see the world differently.