“Lovely boat trip, beautiful scenery, easy to understand photo lessons!”

Acadia Photo Safari
More attraction details
Owner description: Acadia Photo Safaris are hands-on nature photography tours conducted in Acadia National Park and led by Howie Motenko, a local, professional photographer. Every photo safari explores camera setting choices, creating compelling and engaging compositions and developing a photographic awareness enabling you to capture Acadia's natural beauty. All photographers and all skill levels (beginner and beyond) are taught in a small, intimate group (limited to 6 participants) during our 3-hour photography tour. Safaris are offered in the mornings, afternoons or evenings to suit your schedule.
MA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Lovely boat trip, beautiful scenery, easy to understand photo lessons!”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

If you’re in the Acadia area, would like to take a lovely boat trip, enjoy beautiful scenery and learn about taking better pictures, this is the outing for you.

My husband and I went out with Howie, and his wife Brenda, on a beautiful June evening. Brenda, as the boat captain, puttered us around Seal Harbor while Howie gave us the ABCs of aperture, shutter and ISO settings, in a way that was easy to understand and will surely be retained. After this lesson, we headed out to see the seals, but due to a kayaker, most seals were in the water and hard to photograph. On the way to a one of the Cranberry Islands, we learned about the rule of thirds and framing photos right-sided versus left-sided. At the island, we disembarked, strolled around the harbor, learning about depth of field, leading lines and the rule of odd numbered groupings. Back onboard, we were able to see a fabulous osprey nest and then a beautiful sunset.

After this photo safari, I feel more confident with my camera, having a much better understanding of how to use it off of the AUTO setting. Howie even gave my husband iPhone photo tips. Thank you to Howie and Brenda for a wonderful outing. I know we will be taking better pictures because of this trip.

1 Thank TripGalMA

Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Above my expectations!!”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Howie and Brenda were top notch. We learned so many things our cameras could do other than just turning on, point and shoot. He made it a fun learning experience and everyone in our group of six enjoyed the tour. Beautiful scenery to photograph and a nice touch of cheese and wine on the boat :)

1 Thank paca90
Lancaster, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Do Yourself A Favor!”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I have recently had the pleasure of taking a couple of Howie's safaris.

Although I am an advanced amateur photographer, Howie showed me certain tricks with my camera which I did not know.

My reason for joining his safaris was his knowledge of Acadia, and he did show me several great places to shoot.

The boat safari was nice because I never would have been able to shoot off shore the beautiful sunset I captured, and the seals were a bonus. Thanks to Howies wife, Brenda for contributing her driving skills and hospitality. The evening was most pleasant.

Be sure to check out his photos at the Jordan Pond House. Amateur or advanced photographer Howie is your go to man.

1 Thank Ted M
Pryor, Oklahoma
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Educational and fun”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Earlier this month, my wife and I had the pleasure of 3 different photo "safaris" with Acadia Photo Safari, in Bar Harbor, Maine. Two of the trip were in Acadia National Park, the third was a sunset boat ride in the waters surrounding Mount Desert Island.

The number allowed to attend each safari is limited, but since we were there in the "off season" the first two trips were just myself and my wife. The boat ride had one other couple. This limited number of people allows Howie (the proprietor) to give detailed and individualized instructions regarding the use of cameras, techniques, and discussions about composition. I am fairly competent with a camera, so we got to talk about more advanced issues, plus concentrate more on composition. These sessions were about 3 hours, and enabled us to go to places in the park that one might overlook without a "guide" to show us the area.

The boat ride was very enjoyable, Brenda (Howie's wife and captain) piloted us to areas around the islands, making sure to position us for best use of the setting sun.

Well worth the time, and the money. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone who enjoys taking pictures and is going to the Bar Harbor area.

Springfield, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Learned a lot in just a few hours”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Howie was very fun to get to know and learn from as well. Definitely knew what he was doing as he has a lot of experience. I was the only person for this session so it was a lot more focused and that was great! I went in knowing the very basics and came out with a much better understanding of photography and composition in general. I learned to use the environment and geography to my advantage to get the best picture possible. Next time Im in Bar Harbor I will be doing this again!

2 Thank aaronul