“Fantastic place to stay”

Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego, California
“Fantastic place to stay”
Reviewed 20 May 2010

We enjoyed this hotel very much. The rooms are very roomy and beds comfortable. The hotel is very quiet so you can get a very restful nights sleep. They also have a very nice breakfast that is included with your room charge. The location is within walking distance to restaurants and shops.

I would stay her for sure whenever I return to Bar Habor.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CAgirl209

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Boston area
Reviewed 19 February 2010

I've vacationed in Bar Harbor 3 different times over the past 5 years. My wife and I love the Bar Harbor Grand Hotel because the quality matches the price. Bar Harbor is expensive in the summer, and staying close to downtown to walk to the restaurants and shops is one of the highlights of vacationing there. Although rooms in the summer cost about $200 per night at the Bar Harbor Grand, you will not find any other place that is so close to downtown with the same quality rooms. In other words, there are a couple nicer places to stay that are even closer to the downtown, but the price of the rooms is hundreds of dollars more. This is your best overall deal. My wife, who is very picky, is a huge fan of the Bar Harbor Grand.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank PepperMartin
Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 14 November 2009

Stayed four nights (added a night to a three-night package) which included beautiful room w/breakfast, great location, two fantastic dinners, and a sunset cruise on a four-mast schooner. Included dinners (at the harborside Bar Harbor Inn) were a lobster bake at the Terrace Grill and lovely dinner at the Reading Room. Staff was great. Well worth the $735 for the 3-night package.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Howard4
Connecticut
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Good hotel well paced for getting the buses into Acadia park. Close to several good restaurants. Good breakfast. Only downside was the state of the pool - the filtration stopped working.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Columbus, Indiana
Reviewed 20 October 2009

I will write my impressions of the hotel itself, but first I would like to relate a tale of extraordinary hotel service.

A week before leaving home I reserved a taxi for trips between the Bar Harbor airport and the Bar Harbor Grand with At Your Service Taxi (aka Airport & Harbor Car). And, incidentally, the day before I checked out of the hotel I confirmed my reservation. The morning of my departure I waited in front of the hotel for the taxi ten minutes beyond the scheduled pick-up time. I went inside the hotel and asked the front desk clerks if they would call the taxi company, and they did. The taxi company said they had no record of a reservation under my name, and they couldn’t send a taxi in less than an hour!

I was up the river without a paddle! My plane took off in just over an hour! I immediately told the front desk clerks I would pay any one of the hotel employees fifty dollars for a ride to the airport now. The two desk clerks, Mindy and Paige, discussed the situation between themselves, and, to make a long story short, Paige agreed to give me a ride.

This woman, Paige, single-handedly saved me from nearly a thousand dollars of added expense. (I believe that is what plane tickets on short notice, plus added accommodation expenses, would have cost me.) On top of all that, Paige refused the tip! I insisted a second time, but she assured me the tip was unnecessary. This is the type of service that distinguishes the milk from the cream.

Now, as for the hotel itself, the furnishings, décor, and overall appearance were outstanding. I thought the updated Victorian appearance of the carpeting, wall covering, and furniture was lovely. The rooms, including the bathroom, were spacious, and inviting. The television, which carried numerous channels, was tastefully concealed in a centrally located armoire. The towels were spotless, with a thick pile, and soft. The only notable imperfections were rather clunky computers in the computer room and a burned-out light bulb in one of the ceiling lamps of my room.

Just one more cautionary tale about At Your Service Taxi before I conclude:

I also reserved a taxi with At Your Service to pick me up when I arrived at the Bar Harbor airport, but no taxi was waiting for me at the time of my reservation. Fortunately, I was able to share a taxi about 20 minutes later with another couple en route to Bar Harbor. Their taxi, incidentally, was from the same company with which I had reserved my ride. I mentioned the missed appointment to the driver, and he asked me for my name. I told him, and he told me that the dispatcher must have made a mistake: my name had been on his reservation list for the same hour the day before.

Trust me. The mistake was the dispatcher’s, not mine. Beware!

Moral of the story: Hotel: A; Service: A+++; At Your Service Taxi: F---------!

• Stayed October 2009
2 Thank kreigh27
Rye, New York
Reviewed 18 October 2009

Great in-town location, minutes away from all of Bar Harbor restaurants, shopping etc, extremely friendly and helpful staff, couldn't have been nicer. Room was very nice at the price. Loved having the breakfast available every morning and coffee or tea all day/night long. Didn't use the pool but saw several families with little ones cooling off every day.

Would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Midwest
Reviewed 17 October 2009

I cannot recommend this hotel enough as everything was above average. From making a phone reservation and checking in, to just walking through the doors after a day of sight-seeing, the front desk service was helpful and courteous. The room was immaculate, which is usually the first thing I check for and the only thing I am really a stickler about. The rooms were also spacious and comfortable and provided the usual ammenites - a bonus was the New England Coffee Company packets included each morning. I also liked the soap/lotion dispenser by the sink and the shampoo/body wash dispenser in the shower. A nice continental breakfast was included and offered in a large, comfortable dining room.

The location was also a huge bonus, as the Bar Harbor streets were busy and parking was difficult to find, so it was a relief to be able to park at the hotel and walk everywhere in town. I will absolutely look to stay here first when we go back to Bar Harbor!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple