“Lovely and cosy”

Ranked #28 of 31 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Kent
“Lovely and cosy”
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I loved this place. The rooms were really cosy, very clean and lovely. The breakfast was to die for and our host was so helpful. She made us feel very welcome and advised us on restaurants and what to do.
Downstairs in the parlour there are a range of hot drinks available as well as cookies and home made cake . In our room there were candies which I felt was a really nice touch. Breakfast was heavenly and all the guests commented on how tasty it was. There is ample parking at the property and the property is situated about a 7 minute drive out of Bar Harbor. This suited us as it meant that we were equally close to everything. Book it, you won't be disappointed and if there are any bad reviews on here then ignore them as, they probably say more about the person writing them than they do about the Inn. If I am ever back that way, I would definately stay again. Thank you for being so welcoming.
Louise & Bruno from England

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 September 2009

The home was clean, breakfast good, and host was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Calais, Maine
Reviewed 5 September 2009

The Heathwood Inn is clean, clean, clean and comfortable, comfortable, comfortable. This was our second stay and it was just as good the second time as it was the first. Our room was nicely decorated and both the bed and bedding were new. No sagging mattresses here. We particularly love the steam showers after hiking. Although we don't watch TV, we did notice that she had put in TVs since our last visit. We are frequent visitors to Acadia National Park and think we know the island quite well, but Karen always has a great suggestion for a place we haven't yet explored. She also knows the restaurants well and pointed us in the right direction for dinner twice. The best part, however, was waking up to her breakfast. We enjoyed her muffins and coffee cake and the Heathwood Eggs are a must have. On our last day, we needed to leave early, and guess what, she prepared a to go breaksfast bag complete with coffee to go cups and we didn't even ask; she volunteered. We enjoyed the Inn very much and we'll be back, Karen! Thank you.

Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed 4 September 2009

My husband & I had a great time at the Heathwood Inn. We stayed 5 nights, the first 3 in the Hunters Brook nice room upstairs, and then the Eden Room for the last 2 nights, a bit pricier but way worth it! The beds in both were so comfortable. The Eden has a king bed and a beautiful bathroom with a big jacuzzi tub, for 2 of course, and stunning stained glass windows. Karen went out of her way each day to give us pointers on things to do and the best hikes, and of course the best lobster places. My husband loved the breakfast as each day there was something new to indulge in. I'm not a morning person or a cook for that matter, so he usually gets his box of cereal at home. We were surprised how Karen managed to run the Inn so well all by herself. You heard of wonder women? She is always there with the exception of grocery runs. Every time we had a question or other needs, she was always there to help. Thank you Karen for making our stay a wonderful one. We"ll be back. Hopefully the end of Sept. we hope to be able to come for the fall colors.

1 Thank gailallenartworks
NYC
Reviewed 30 August 2009

The hostesses are not what the reviews say they are. My friend and I had a terrible time at the Inn because of Karen and her spouse ( I heard they are actually separated ). When we made the reservation we were greeted by a obnoxous person on the phone. We figured it was some young operator which was not indicative of the actual place because of te reviews. Later we found out that it was one of the owners. They maintain a pretty place and Maine is wonderful, but we encountered a situation with the hostesses which showed us that they were not what they are cracked up to be. It turned us off to the place and when we left we tried to make sure not to say goodbye because of the anger we felt towards the hostesses because of their treatment. I was hoping that a bed and breakfast would provide top notch service because you are being catered to by the actual owners. I learned that owners can have difficult lives and experiences which they pass on to their customers. Bed and Breakfast's can feel a little dangerous as my friend mentioned to me. I would give a second thought about going to another one again because of that. If you want to visit Maine, please do, it is wonderful. If you want top notch service and cannot deal with bad or stiff attitudes or the dangerous feelings a bed a breakfast can give then please don't visit this or other Bed and Breakfast;s Go to a decent hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank tripreviewerNyc
MDI1287, Owner at Heathwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 4 September 2009
I am so deeply sorry that you did not have a good experience at my inn. I try very hard to provide a beautiful and comfortable place for all of my guests, and I am sorry I did not meet your expectations. I also regret that you did not let me know you were dissatisfied. I would have done everything I could to make your experience more enjoyable.

I do not have a spouse, and there are no other hostesses on the property. I am a solo innkeeper, so I take full responsibility for the satisfaction of my guests and their experience in my inn. The only way I can know if something is wrong is if you let me know. If I had known, I would have done everything I could to improve your experience.

I sincerely apologize for your unhappiness with your visit.

Karen
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 7 August 2009

This was my husband's and my first solo vacation in 13+ years. The Heathwood Inn is set back from the road, and is convenient to Bar Harbor, Acadia NP, and SW Harbor. Karen (innkeeper) has created lovely gardens around the inn, which attract hummingbirds, butterflies, and exotic moths. There's a lovely porch with comfy chairs and tables, perfect for cribbage. We stayed in Hunters Brook room, a very large, simply furnished room which was just perfect for the two of us. The steam shower in the bathroom was amazing. Karen is a great cook - every breakfast had two different kind of homemade bake goods, a main dish (usually egg based), fruit, and strong smooth coffee. Karen was very accomodating, as we checked in late; we also had an early whale/puffin cruise and she made us a take along goodie bag well before breakfast time. She had other amenities, like candy, cookies, coffee/tea, and hot chocolate available round the clock. I loved it here and look forward to coming back.

farmington Hills MI
Reviewed 18 June 2009

This bed and breakfast offered everything we wanted during our visit to Acadia/Bar Harbor. We were immediately greeted by Karen the innkeeper, who provided a nice welcome, and friendly personal touch. This gave us a positive feeling right away. We stayed in the lovely and comfortable Eden Room for two nights, which included a large bathroom with a double jacuzzi, and beautiful stained glass windows. The king sized bed also was very comfortable and for me, it felt like home!
Once we got settled in, Karen was very helpful and knowledgeable about area attractions and provided suggestions on what to do. The inn is about a ten minute drive from downtown Bar Harbor which was fine with us, because we preferred a quieter location. It was even closer to Acadia.
The breakfasts were delicious-my husband found the problem was that they were TOO
good and therefore he was tempted to eat more. Make sure that you wake up hungry if you want to enjoy Karen's home baked hot entrees, baked goodies, fruit and more. Karen was very accomodating and flexible with dietary requirements, so I was able to eat everything!
We had a very positive experience at the Heathwood. I have stayed at many bed and breakfasts, and this is definitely one of the best I've stayed at. I would highly recommend staying here to anyone who visits this area and prefers a personal touch.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple