“Don't cancel!!”

Robbins Motel
Ranked #40 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
“Don't cancel!!”
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

I had to enter "month visited" to write the review. We haven't been there. In August, we made reservations through Booking.com to stay here. About a week later, circumstances changed and we immediately called and cancelled our reservations. The lady on the phone at Robbins Motel was extremely nice and said "Don't worry about a thing. The reservations are cancelled." We asked for a confirmation email and she replied "We don't do that but don't worry about it, they're cancelled. Now, we are being charged for "No Show." They may sound friendly and helpful on the phone but, in this instance, very unscrupulous. Booking.com tried to intervene on our behalf but Robbin's Motel refused to acknowledge our cancellation. Yes, we should have insisted on some sort of confirmation of the cancellation but we were taken in by that syrupy sweetness on the phone. Shame on us! Ughhhhh! So frustrated!!!!

Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Michael P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 October 2013

At the risk of covering much of the same ground as many previous reviewers, this is a good place to stay if you're looking for cheap, no-frills accommodations. If you go to the website, you can clearly see that the owners make no attempt to represent the motel in any other way than that. My room was small, but clean with a comfortable bed. There was a TV with cable, along with separate heating and AC units. As others have mentioned, the shower units in some rooms don't seem very well geared to taller individuals. I had to crouch a bit to get my head wet, and I'm 5'9".
I paid $49 a night, in late September. The location is convenient-5 minutes to the national park entrance, no more than 10 minutes to downtown Bar Harbor. There are also 3 restaurants plus miniature golf in walking distance. I went next door to the Bar Harbor Lobster Pound and had a good meal there.
If you want luxury, look elsewhere. If you want a cheap(even in the summer, no more than $65)place to stay that meets all your basic needs, this is a good option.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank cp64
Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The motel is exactly as described in the web page. It looks actually quite nice from the outside but inside it is very plain, small and feels like an old cabin in the woods (old wooden paneling throughout the room). The bathroom is tiny too. However, the location and price make it worthwhile staying there. You just don’t want to spend any time in the room other than night time. It was clean and the management was very helpful and friendly. If you can do with just the bare necessities you will be alright.
We liked the fact that a free shuttle bus runs between the motel and downtown Bar Harbor. There are also 2 restaurants and a lobster pound within walking distance.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Before you book a room here, you need to decide what you want in a motel. If you plan to lounge around your room and relax, look for someplace else. If you intend to use the room as a place to crash between adventures and want to save a lot of money, it's a great place.

The rate was unbeatable! The money I saved by staying here covered my kayak trip and dinner at a restaurant every night in Bar Harbor. My room was clean, and the staff was friendly. It's right on Route 3. The cable TV was good and offered a bunch of channels.

Obviously, there are some trade-offs for staying at a bargain motel. The motel is a few miles outside of downtown Bar Harbor, and it takes 10-12 minutes to drive there (although it's only about 5 minutes to drive to the Acadia visitors' center). The motel's decor was retro (to be kind): Pepto Bismol pink bathroom, dark wood paneling, and patio chairs used as indoor furniture. The room was pretty small, and the bathroom was really small. The light fixtures in the room didn't provide much light. The large windows were barely insulated and only had thin curtains covering them. The ice machine is located in the lobby, which doesn't open until 8 AM and closes fairly early in the evening so you can't get ice before/after hours. The motel advertises that it has wi-fi, but it didn't work at all in my room.

I had room #1--right on the end closest to the highway. The windows definitely didn't keep the road noise out. However, I live on a main road so I'm used to traffic at all hours, and I didn't really notice it. If you're a light sleeper, you might want to request a room toward the back.

For the cost, it was a great place, and I would definitely stay here again. I'd rather save money by staying here and spend it doing fun things in/around Acadia. After all, I didn't go all the way to Maine to look at the inside of a motel room!

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back should be quieter. My room was close to the road and got a fair bit of traffic...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank pedal29
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We booked a room for one night based upon reviews here and the price. We were pleased with our simple yet clean room. I liked the sliding door on the bathroom, and the plentiful hot water for my shower. The Wifi would not work in my room, but it was not a deal breaker for me. I liked the K-cup coffee makers available in the main office, and found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We will probably stay there again when we go back to Acadia.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not next to the road.
Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The room was small but clean. It is VERY basic; bed, cable TV, bathroom. The towels were good thick towels. The mattress was OK but could use new blankets and bedspreads. The toliet had a little trouble flushing (room 25). There is no place to get coffee on site until 8AM (the lobby is locked from 8pm to 8am). If you are going to Acadia National Park to see the sunrise you have to go to gas station to get coffee. The walls are thin, but with the fan turned on we no longer heard snoring from the next room. Oh, parking was tight, if you have a truck you're out of luck. We had a small rental car and it was all we could do to fit.

1 Thank LFB_13
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I chose this motel for my family's 3-day trip to Acadia National Park after reading the reviews by travellers on Trip Advisor. I am glad many liked it but I hate to say that I cannot recommend this motel to the people I know. One must understand that with a motel like this is always hit-or-miss. Unfortunately for us it was a miss.

First, when we arrived I went to the office and was greeted by a young woman who was one of the caretakers while we were there. The first impression was not great. There was no sense of hospitality like how are you, is there any information we can give you (one should be hospitable in the hospitality industry). When we arrived in our room, there was a strange smell, which was like urine but in actual fact probably was from the wooden wall in the room. I made a complaint to the same young lady but she was busy helping another customer. I waited and expected to go with her to look into the issue. Then, she finished helping the customer and then disappeared in the back of the office. I kept waiting and then she reappeared again and said that she went to the room, sprayed some air freshener and did not smell anything. She then said that it was just a matter of opinions instead of providing some form of plausible explanation. A very strange approach to customer service I might say.

On a different day, I went to the office to borrow a hair dryer and guess what - got the same young lady again. I asked, "Is there a hair dryer in the room because I could not find it?" She gave a straight answer - "No." That was it!

Having said the above, there were some good things with this motel. With the hair dryer, it just so happened that there was another gentleman there. He was very polite and said to me, "We'll get one and bring it to your room." Wow - hospitality finally.

Another lady who provided room service to us was very nice. We had a good time talking to her. When we left, I gave her a tip personally instead of leaving it in the room because I didn't want the other lady to get it by accident.

So that's my experience at Robbin's Motel. Oh BTW, if you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs. The road noise is very much noticeable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family