“Very disapointed”

Bar Harbor Whale Watch Company
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Bar Harbor Whale Watch Company offers a variety of boat tours for all ages that show different sights and wildlife in the area around Mount Desert Island, Maine. The tours that we offer include a Puffin and Whale Watching trip, and Whale Watching tour, a Historical Lighthouse tour, a Nature Cruise, a Lobster Fishing and Seal Watching Tour, and a tour to Baker Island. We also have a gift shop in our ticket office, where you can purchase souvenirs during your time in town. We hope to see you on one (or more!) of our boat tours so we can show you why Bar Harbor, Maine is such a special place!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

My hubby and I went out on this famous whale watch and puffin tour. It was 118 am a Erica which converted to canadian was 137 and change. We were so excited because as there ad says... it's a guarantee for whales. We were sadly disapointed. We travelled all this way for the whales which was the highlight or suppose to be of our trip. We board the boat and are told that we are the first tour of the year (but there website says it started May 5th). We head out on the water for 5 hours and see nothing. When we returned I asked for my money back and was told that I can either rebook with another tour with them (which are all under 30 dollar and the whale watch was 118) or I can use my pass on any whale watch tour for up to three years. Well that's great for people who can afford to return within 3 years but as my hubby and I are on a very tight budget, we do t have the luxury of doing so. The company would not comprise at all. We ended up booking the lobster tour for the following day which we were not able to attend. Now we are out all that money and the company wouldn't comp anything. The highlight of our trip and why we chose Bar Harbour was due to the whale watch and the guarantee. We will not be returning and I do not recommend this to anyone unless you have lots of days that you can keep going out on the boat day after day if no Whales are seen.

8  Thank Travelbug2013_28
There are newer reviews for Bar Harbor Whale Watch Company

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Had a great time on the Nature Tour. There were 2 tour guides on the boat. If one was on the microphone talking the other was walking the boat answering questions or helping travelers see the wildlife. The tour also included the history of the numerous mansions around the area. Great tour with lots of views and history!

1  Thank SarahA-1983
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We were in Bar Harbor in early October, and had been warned that the whales had started migrating south and the previous day's tour had not seen any. In fact, some people on our boat had been out the previous day and were given free passes to try again. Well, we all got our money's worth on this tour! The weather was chilly and we were bundled up, but we had an amazing encounter with 2 humpback whales - a mother and calf. The whales breached, flapped, 'spyhopped' over and over again, and the calf came alongside the boat and seemed to be as curious about us as we were about him(or her). We got fantastic photos! The marine biologist/tour narrators even said we were getting quite a show. They gave all kinds of information about the whales, seals, sea birds. I had always wanted to go on a whale watch, and this experience far exceeded my expectations. Wish I had gone years ago!

3  Thank LLB56
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I am 10 years old, and I did not like this tour, which we did in July. It was a big boat and was crowded. It was hard at times to understand where the whales were located around the ship. It was not very informative. We did see 3 types of whales and passed an island populated by puffins. Also the ride was rough and long so many people, including me, got seasick. I don’t think many kids would like this because it was 3 hours of riding in a loud boat and only 30 minutes of watching whales.

8  Thank Phillip A
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We were in Bar Harbor during the government shut-down in October (2013). Because of the shut-down many tourists coming from the large cruise ships did not have the option of walking into Acadia National Park. Instead this company went into overdrive to take care of those of us staying in Bar Harbor and those just coming in for the day. Our late morning cruise to view the lighthouses around Bar Harbor was totally filled. Even though it was a clear, sunny day, it was very cold. Our tour guide was wonderful! His name was Gene and he gave us so much more than a reading-a-pamphlet type tour. He added interesting facts that you would probably not get anywhere else and took the time to answer every question asked of him. If it wasn't of interest to the general population of the tour, Gene took the time to come over to my husband and answer his question individually, which went way beyond any tour we've ever been on. I highly recommend this company for a very positive experience. Just a note though, everything seems to close down at the end of October and doesn't reopen until early June.