“No whales but....”

Bar Harbor Whale Watch Company
More attraction details
Owner description: The Bar Harbor Whale Watch Company offers a variety of boat tours for all ages that show different sights and wildlife in the area around Mount Desert Island, Maine. The tours that we offer include a Puffin and Whale Watching trip, and Whale Watching tour, a Historical Lighthouse tour, a Nature Cruise, a Lobster Fishing and Seal Watching Tour, and a tour to Baker Island. We also have a gift shop in our ticket office, where you can purchase souvenirs during your time in town. We hope to see you on one (or more!) of our boat tours so we can show you why Bar Harbor, Maine is such a special place!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Onset, Massachusetts
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“No whales but....”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Went on the whale and puffin tour. We saw puffins and a lot of seals but sadly no whales. This was not for lack of trying on the crews part. We stayed out almost 5 hours. Though we saw no whales I feel it was money well spent and we will return to take them up on their offer to take us back out for free.

1 Thank Rachelle S

Jefferson, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great way to see Bar Harbor”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Took the lighthouse tour. Saw seals and cottages along the way. Narrator was knowedgable and the captain and his team did a great job.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank kim p
Peterborough, Canada
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Very disapointed”
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

My hubby and I went out on this famous whale watch and puffin tour. It was 118 am a Erica which converted to canadian was 137 and change. We were so excited because as there ad says... it's a guarantee for whales. We were sadly disapointed. We travelled all this way for the whales which was the highlight or suppose to be of our trip. We board the boat and are told that we are the first tour of the year (but there website says it started May 5th). We head out on the water for 5 hours and see nothing. When we returned I asked for my money back and was told that I can either rebook with another tour with them (which are all under 30 dollar and the whale watch was 118) or I can use my pass on any whale watch tour for up to three years. Well that's great for people who can afford to return within 3 years but as my hubby and I are on a very tight budget, we do t have the luxury of doing so. The company would not comprise at all. We ended up booking the lobster tour for the following day which we were not able to attend. Now we are out all that money and the company wouldn't comp anything. The highlight of our trip and why we chose Bar Harbour was due to the whale watch and the guarantee. We will not be returning and I do not recommend this to anyone unless you have lots of days that you can keep going out on the boat day after day if no Whales are seen.

8 Thank Travelbug2013_28
Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Tour”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Had a great time on the Nature Tour. There were 2 tour guides on the boat. If one was on the microphone talking the other was walking the boat answering questions or helping travelers see the wildlife. The tour also included the history of the numerous mansions around the area. Great tour with lots of views and history!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank SarahA-1983
Clarkston, Michigan
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“An incredible experience”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We were in Bar Harbor in early October, and had been warned that the whales had started migrating south and the previous day's tour had not seen any. In fact, some people on our boat had been out the previous day and were given free passes to try again. Well, we all got our money's worth on this tour! The weather was chilly and we were bundled up, but we had an amazing encounter with 2 humpback whales - a mother and calf. The whales breached, flapped, 'spyhopped' over and over again, and the calf came alongside the boat and seemed to be as curious about us as we were about him(or her). We got fantastic photos! The marine biologist/tour narrators even said we were getting quite a show. They gave all kinds of information about the whales, seals, sea birds. I had always wanted to go on a whale watch, and this experience far exceeded my expectations. Wish I had gone years ago!

Visited October 2013