“Clean and functional”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Sunnyside Motel & Cottages
Ranked #27 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
“Clean and functional”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed in a cottage with three other people and had a great time. The cottage was meticulously cleaned daily by the wonderful maids, enough to please my OCD tendencies. The kitchen is small but functional. We cooked most of our own meals and it was a little challenging with only two burners and no oven but it was manageable. The owners were very nice and informed us of everything we needed to see and do and were right! Would stay there again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Caitlin J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Baraboo, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We truly enjoyed the cottage, reminded us of our first little apartment when we were first married.
It has a little kitchen and bathroom which are a bit dated (and cozy), but this is exactly what you get with this type of rental.
We wish the mosquitoes weren't so bad so that we could have sat outside and enjoyed the night.
The only drawbacks were the pillows (hard) and no air conditioner but the night was cool enough that with the fan they provided it was a comfortable night!
We did not have time to use the pool, but it looked nice, just your average motel pool.
The owners were very helpful and friendly...would stay again!
And by the way...LOVED the yellow color of the cottages!

Room Tip: Cottage #3 was very nice
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Clinton, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed one night, 4th of July, 2014! It was a bit old fashioned, but the bathroom was fully updated and all new. The room was very clean, and while dated, the appliances were well cared for and fully functional. We were there through the last gasps of Hurricane Arthur, and slept like babies. The only suggestion I would make to the lovely proprietors is to move the AC units in the rooms up off of the walls down by the floors. Locating them so low makes it hard for oldsters like us to see the controls, and it doesn't cool as efficiently since cold air falls and heat rises. We got innovative and put the luggage holder in front of the unit with my briefcase propped up at an angle in front of the vents. This channeled the cold air up and through the room for a comfortable night; important since the driving rain kept the windows closed! The owners are adorable and lively, and very conscientious about their little property. I stayed in one of the cabins over 20 years ago, and its still the same couple! Clean room and great value!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara L
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Room was clean and staff was very helpful. All their advise about what to see and best deals was 'right on'. Wish we had time to try out the pool... owners very pleasant and helpful. Made the trip to Bar Harbor worth every minute. Thanks.

Room Tip: Call ahead and get your reservations in!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jan384
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We traveled from Florida and spent 3 nights in the 2 bedroom cottage and had a wonderful stay. We arrived after 11 pm and Richard and Helen most graciously left the cottage unlocked with the porch light on and the heat on for us, all without us having left them a credit card. Who else would be that thoughtful? The cottage was extra clean and clearly well cared for. Having coffee every morning on our private screened porch smelling the fresh ocean breeze was heavenly. The kitchen was supplied with plenty of pots, pans, dishes, etc. and we used them well. And by paying cash for our room we saved $30. What a great place! We will surely return and more than recommend this gem.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike M
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

We booked the two bedroom cottage on a long weekend. When I was talking on the phone with them I spoke it so clear that I would love to book it for "2 nights" and they said "ok" so when we arrived there, the story change. They charged my credit card for "3 nights". I complained about that and they said well, they only do 3 nights for a long weekend and if we don't want to stay, they are ok with that but will charge me for a night (costs almost $200). And of course, I know how long we will stay because we have to go back and work too. I can't be wrong with that. Be careful, if you want to stay at this place, make sure to ask them a confirmation. For my case, I asked them and they said it's ok. I already booked you a place. Don't worry, bla bla bla....! But again just ask, please!
For a cottage, bedroom is small for the master bedroom. Kitchen and bathroom are also way too small. The main entrance door need to be fixed. Only one car can park in front otherwise if you have another car, you have to park on the motel side. No camp fire. If you need to get food, you have to drive to somewhere.
For the service, maybe because we argued with each other when we just arrived there so they said they will give us a tour, show us a map but yes he did that. Just with us not with my friends because we went there like a big group and came seperate times. My friends talked to me and said how come they didn't say anything about the information, even though they were say they will be helpful. On the next day, we went to get coffee at lobby and asked them for some sugar. So he said oh don't know you guys drink coffee with sugar because I'm not. And he tried to find some but unfortunately they ran out. I can't believe that will happen with this place because people usually drink cooffee with sugar, maybe some don't. But still, I think you better should have some. I travel a lot and went to Bar Harbor so many times, I always got a good treat except this cottage.
One more thing, there are so many signs inside the cottage and say after you use thing, you have to clean it otherwise they will charge you later. So we didn't even touch anything and so uncomfortable because we pay for staying there and use the amenities but end up we have to clean all things. That kinda sucks, right? Why do I pay for my vacation and I have to do the things by myself. So ridiculous! I won't never ever stay again and better do camping or sleep in car instead if i have no place to stay.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Ailey C
sunbh, Owner at Sunnyside Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, and more importantly for staying with us during the Columbus Day weekend. While we appreciate our guest's comments, your review seems to provide conflicting information and inaccuracies. Yes, you did inquire for a two night accommodation, however prior to making your reservation we informed you that we had a three night minimum for the holiday weekend. You acknowledged this and agreed in making the reservation as evidenced in your confirmation which was emailed to you on October 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM. We can gladly provide either a screen shot or duplicate email to reconfirm. Furthermore, you signed the charge slip in agreement when we spoke on the topic during check-in.
Our cottages are "housekeeping cottages". As the title implies, you are responsible for general upkeep of your unit, despite our daily provided housekeeping services. Our policy regarding cleaning refers primarily to our kitchen supplies and appliances, as you may have noticed the placards were placed in the kitchen area with language specifically referencing the kitchen. We simply ask that guests leave the kitchen (utensils, pots, pans, etc) in the same cleaned condition they were provided. This is a fairly standard practice among condo/cottage/cabin rentals. We sincerely apologize if that seemed confusing.
Once again, thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide every guest with the very best accommodations and service that we can.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 October 2013

WE stayed 2 nights in the motel. Very comfortable like in a mountain cabin.
the room especially the bathroom was immaculate. Nice to have small refrigerator. microwave and moring coffee available in the office. The owner Richard spent quite a bit of time outlining thing to see, do and where to eat. Price very reasonable. As with other reviews highly reccomend it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
#28 of 41 in Bar Harbor
Acadia Sunrise Motel
Acadia Sunrise Motel
#1 of 3 in Trenton

Been to Sunnyside Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!