“Wonderful October Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Black Friar Inn and Pub
Ranked #24 of 30 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Trussville, Alabama
“Wonderful October Stay”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here during a short get away to Maine to see Acadia and the fall colors. The inn was great, the staff was all very friendly and helpful, the breakfasts were great and the room was just what we needed. I would have to say one of the perks was having a pub in the bottom of the inn. We grabbed an evening pint (the Maine Gritty's beers were great) on our way back to our room each day after exploring and enjoyed it on our balcony or in front of our small fire place. The inn was conveniently located off the main drag, but close enough to walk down town for shopping and restaurants. There was also a grocery store conveniently located across the street. I hope we are back to visit again in the future.

Room Tip: If there is going to be entertainment in the pub on a night you are going to be there, you may want...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Bay City, Michigan
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Was very disappointed. Some may call it old world charm, but I say the place needs a ton of updating! For what they charge, you would think they could put a little money back into the place. Very dingy feel. May be clean on the surface, but look more closely. The woodworking, around the bedroom and bathroom, the tile in the bathroom, etc., needs sgnificant deep cleaning efforts. Put in a new shower...replace the tile...add a t.v. and a clock to the room!! Maybe even a better storage chest to unpack clothes. Could an iron be made available, along with better hangers to hang clothes up?? Then there's the odor from the pub down below - seemed to linger rather annoyingly all night. Old locks that took some good effort to ensure they were working in the room. The wi-fi barely worked - simply gave up after a while. Was on the second floor, but still had a lot of noise from the streets below. Tells me poor insulation with the windows.

Was booked for 2 nights and willing to take the hit on losing deposit by checking out after the first night. If I could have found another place to stay, would have not even stayed the one night. Then when I did leave the next morning, got a big kick out of the owner peeking his head around the corner of the window to watch me - have no idea his rationale for that, but pretty creepy. Had sat there in my car for a few minutes to get my GPS running and several times caught him trying to sneak looks that he obviously didn't think I was noticing. Not only did I, but I let him know it by waving back at him. Was traveling by myself for 10 days, this was the only stop that I felt wierded out by.

At twice in the pub downstairs. Service was excellent and food was delicious. Gourmet food, just a limited selection.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
FriarTom, Owner at Black Friar Inn and Pub, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
First, I'am terribly sorry that this traveler was not satisfied with our level of accommodations. We take pride in how our inn is maintained and I can only disagree with the reviewer about the up keep. When she expressed her intention of not staying another night, I treated her with respect for her choice.Our nightly rates are vary competive for staying here in the village, and it is offensive of this reviewer to assume that we do not re-invest our enormous profits back into the business. And finally, this reviewer not only offends our business but also takes a swipe at me labeling me as creepy. Really. Not sure what I did or said to offend her so, but I'am certainly not going to wave to her out the window when she just walked out of the inn without giving me the time of day.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I try to provide useful information instead of the usual… the inn was nice (which it was) and the staff were great (which they were). I like to rate a place on what I’m looking for – overall facility setting, proximity to attractions, how safe am I walking around the area at night & would I return.

Facility setting – This is an older home converted into a B&B so the rooms are somewhat small however my wife and I didn’t find this to be a problem. The bed and bedding were great! After walking around and hiking all day, it was a pleasure to climb into bed. Each room has a bathroom which includes a small shower stall. The shower stall worked for my wife and I but if you a large person (>250) it may be a problem. TVs are not provided in each room; again this was not a problem for us. We stayed on the 3 third floor and the inn doesn’t have an elevator. I didn’t have a problem carrying the bags but you may want to consider if you are capable of carrying bags up 2 or 3 flights of stairs. Honestly, after meeting the staff there is no doubt in my mind that someone would carry your bags up if you were unable to. If I were you I wouldn’t let carrying my bags phase me from staying at the inn. The rooms do not a have refrigerator or microwave but this wasn’t a problem for us.

The inn provides free wi-fi and parking. I found the wi-fi signal to vary over the course of the day but this wasn’t a problem for me. Parking is limited however there is a grocery store across the street where you can park; we parked there one night.

The inn has a restaurant / bar which is a big plus!!! You eat breakfast in the restaurant so it doesn’t feel like you’re staying in a B&B. We ate breakfast and diner at the inn and loved both – great food that is prepared fresh. I can’t emphasize the quality of the food and drink at the inn enough.

Proximity to attractions – You are a few blocks from the main street in Bar Harbor. The inn is close enough that walking is not a problem but far enough away that you don’t get the noise associated with the downtown area. The aforementioned is a big deal since cruise ship people pack the center of town each day (sigh). Having a grocery store across the street was another big plus. For us, the location was perfect.

How safe am I walking around the area at night – The surrounding area was very safe. We walked around after mid-night and I never felt unsafe. There were a few nights I forgot to the lock the car and I never gave it a second thought.

Would I return – A resounding yes! The issues I raised with room size etc were not complaints they were descriptions to help others decide if this place is right for you. As I stated in the title, we are not B&B people and the inn didn’t feel like a B&B. I have no complaints to list. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Read the room descriptions on the website. Some of the rooms have limited head room.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GeoGiantPa
Ankeny
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We had the good fortune to choose the Black Friar Inn for our Maine vacation. We initially selected the inn due to its location and previous reviews. First, the pictures do not do justice to this beautiful inn. It is a well maintained, older bed and breakfast. Beautiful hardwood floors and accents throughout. Friar Tom and his staff will do whatever they can to make your stay more enjoyable.

We stayed in Room #3, very comfortable bed, lighted stained glass window and a beautiful bathroom. The room was very clean on arrival and well maintained throughout our 5 day stay. The "breakfast" is unlike your normal B&B offerings as you can choose from a full menu. Chef Don is a wizard with breakfast with excellent omelet's, blueberry and banana/granola pancakes which feature his homemade granola. In addition, each plate is garnished with fresh fruit and some of the best 7 Grain bread I have had in awhile. Dinner is exquisite at this inn. The pub could easily pass for a fine dining restaurant both in ambiance and food. The Chef is amazing and I recommend you trust each and everyone of his recommendations and specials. While we were there we enjoyed the lobster, scallops with risotto, a drunken burger (you have to try it) and the best New York Strip I have ever enjoyed. This is definitely the difference between using choice beef and prime! And do not pass on dessert, all homemade and includes Chef don's homemade whip cream! You can get blueberry pie anywhere, but this was the best we had!

The pub in and of itself is a relaxing place to end the day, Michelle was one of the most friendly bartenders we have met in our travels, and she makes excellent cocktails! I truly think what we enjoyed most about this inn was the staff, Friar Tom is a hands on owner who checks in with you every day to see if you need anything. Chef Don and Michelle seemed more like old friends by the time we checked out and Nadine is an excellent server and housekeeper!

We hope to return to the Black Friar and recommend you consider it as well!

Room Tip: Room 3 was beautiful, but in talking with other guests I think any room would be nice in this inn!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frank P
Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed 12 September 2013

An older property located in downtown Bar Harbor, within easy walking distance to restaurants and stores. Although advertised as a hotel, you should be prepared for a bed and breakfast type experience, and I would suggest best suited for couples or a single traveler. The rooms are certainly unique, but really a little bit outdated for the cost per night - even at Bar harbor's prices. Housekeeping is very efficient, and you can choose from a menu for breakfast, which was a nice touch. We ate in the restaurant the first night of our stay - the meal was average, and there many better options in town. On the whole, if you are looking for something quaint then this may be a good option for you.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amanda34680
Marble Falls, Texas
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This is a small hotel (6 rooms) that is run more like a B&B. Old, quaint, with eclectic design and furnishing. Great breakfast with multiple choices. It has a bar and serves food and drink in the evenings except Sunday. We didn't partake so can't comment. The host is very affable and raised in the area. Someone you would want to know. Anything you want to know about the area he could help you with. His passion is snow skiing. His staff is equally nice. Rooms are neat, clean and odor free. Location is perfect for walking around town. We would definitely stay there again. Note* Take the Lulu Lobster Boat Cruise with Capt. John while in Bar Harbor. Worth every penny "because of John".

Room Tip: We had room #5. It is on the third (top) floor corner. Roomy and bright. Good ventilation if desi...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank striplic2016
Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The Black Friar Inn was a great location for us to spend a few days in Bar Harbor. Although it is above the Pub, it was not noisy or disturbing. Our room was cozy with lots of windows, just know that this is an older building so you can expect a room air conditioner and paneling in the bathroom. Breakfast was great, as you were able to order off the menu. The spinach, bacon and goat cheese omlette was terrific. We also spent one night in the Pub. The bartender poured a tasty chocolate martini and you could see the chef making each plate individually. You could tell that other chefs and waitresses visited the Black Friar, it was a very inviting atmosphere. It's not large, but it's got character and well-worth visiting.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple