We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bar Harbor
Black Friar Inn and Pub
Ranked #23 of 30 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 August 2006

I booked three days at the Black Friar based on reviews here and other sources. I was not disappointed. Sharon and Perry were gracious and knowledgeable hosts. The location was excellent, close to downtown yet on a quiet sidestreet. The room was nicely appointed and clean. Breakfast was always delicious. Come on, what more do you want!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled solo
1  Thank VernL

Reviewed 7 August 2006

My wife and I have just returned from a very pleasant 6 night stay at the Black Friar Inn. I will make this very easy for anyone planning a stay in Bar Harbour - stay at the Black Friar Inn! "Why", you ask:

1. The Innkeeper (Sharon) is a superb hostess
2. The rooms were spotlessly clean and perfectly appointed
3. The location could not be any better (5min walk to Main St.)
4. The breakfast was utterly amazing
5. Sharon's knowledge of Mount Desert Island is second to none
6. More than ample off-street parking
7. Coffee and cookies in the afternoon, every afternoon
8. .....need I say anymore!

From 2 very happy Brooklyn based travellers.

Reviewed 6 August 2006

This was my fifth visit to the Black Friar Inn in as many years. A visit to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park is always an adventure and Perry and Sharon always help me make the most of it with their knowledge of the area and advise on trails, side trips, attractions, and resturants. The in is charming, the breakfasts are always delicious - in five years, I don't think I've had exactly the same meal twice. This summer, with Sharon running the inn alone, she was busier than ever, but always found time for a few words about the adventures of the day.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2006

My visit at Black Friar Inn last week (July 24-28) was wonderful.
I was there with my sister who is a return visitor several times over. The inn was positively charming, the food was delicious, the company was enjoyable, and our room was very comfortable and clean. In spite of the fact that she was very! busy, Sharon was a most gracious and helpful host. There were guests of all ages visiting during the week, from several different states as well as Germany - all were made welcome and treated with friendly consideration and respect. I'd like to think that guests in my own home would come away feeling as welcome and well-treated!

• Stayed: July 2006
Reviewed 31 July 2006

My fiance and I just returned from a wonderful 3 day stay at the Black Friar Inn. This was our first B&B experience, and after the thoughtful, warm, and personal attention we recieved there, we may never stay in a hotel again!

The rooms were very comfortable and well-appointed. We had the opportunity to stay in 2 different rooms during our stay, and felt very spoiled with the luxurious bedding and thoughfully chosen decor in each room. The architecture in the Inn is simply stunning. Gorgeous hardwood floors, a replica of a classic English pub, and even a doorway that was once a part of the island's hospital!

The breakfasts each morning were incredibly delicious, it was like getting a gourment Sunday morning breakfast every day! During our stay, we enjoyed cream cheese blueberry bread pudding with a fresh blueberry-strawberry sauce, a lighter-than-air quiche with cheese and fresh vegetables, and on the final morning (my favorite one!) delectable thick slices of sweet french toast griddled to perfection covered with spiced brandied apples and served with real maple syrup. The homemade cookies in the afternoon were a wonderful treat, too. Sharon's cooking alone is worth the visit!

I must admit, we were a bit apprehensive when we read some of the earlier negative comments here regarding younger couples (we're 24, and not used to recieving such great service!), but we booked anyway. I'm so glad we did! Sharon treated us like family, and was genuinely interested in making sure we made the most of our short time on the island. She was always happy to see us when we returned from our activties for the day and always had an interesting tidbit of info to share. She was a wealth of information on Acadia National Park, sights to see around town, and great restaurant recommendations. She even called to set up a reservation for us! The Inn also has a wonderful collection of restaurant menus and even guest comments to help you choose! There are also several different books and guides you can borrow on trails and attractions in the area. (The high speed wireless internet was a huge plus for us, too!)

We had a wonderful stay here and can't wait to go back! Don't feel discouraged by some of the negative reviews posted here. Our experience at the Black Friar Inn was absolutely amazing and we highly recommend it!

1  Thank krangrape64
Reviewed 29 July 2006

My wife and I recently stayed at the Black Fiar and had a great experience once again. Our first visit to the Black Friar was in May 2002 and before then, I had stayed at many Bar Harbor B&Bs - some good while some not-so-good. The Black Friar is by far our favorite Bar Harbor B&B. It's in a great location within town so you can park your car at the inn and easily walk to dinner, the shops, a quick hike to Bar Island, or just to grab a brew at Geddy's or Lompoc. The house is very well kept (with great architecture) and the rooms are clean and comfortable.

On our first visit to the Black Friar, Sharon and Perry updated us on the local restaurants as well as some little-known places to see within Acadia National Park that you can't find in any guidebook of the area. These places are now some of our favorits spots in Acadia and we visited them again this time as well.

On this latest visit, Sharon updated us on the restauraunt scene as well as tide tables to figure out the best times to hike out to Bar Island. Sharon also did a great job with breakfast and introduced some unique combinations such as fresh pineapple with basil - excellent and refreshing ! We also have recommended this B&B to many friends. To sum up, we definitely recommend the Black Friar as your home-away-from home for any Bar Harbor Vacation.

1  Thank Tom&Jayne
Reviewed 27 July 2006

My husband & I had a great time at this bed & breakfast. We enjoy occasionally splurging on an inn of this type and being able to "pick the brains" of the inn keepers and visiting with the other visiters.

The property was everything the pictures show - beautiful rooms, a comfortable sitting area to visit with others. Breakfast was very yummy, with special orders accomodated and seconds offered. it included coffee, tea, and juice; fruit, and a main course (waffles, etc. with bacon).

Sharon was very helpful with recommendations and was very familiar with the area and local activities. In response to a couple of the negative comments I read, I found Sharon helpful and friendly, and not difficult to stay with, dispite our being part of the 25 - 35 year old crowd. The few rules that there are (smelly, dirty things kept outside, etc. ) are resonable and what you would expect from someone having a business in their home.

2  Thank MLGMItchell