“Fantastic getaway - can't wait to return!”
Review of The Elmhurst Inn

The Elmhurst Inn
Ranked #21 of 30 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fantastic getaway - can't wait to return!”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

For our first trip to Bar Harbor / Acadia, my fiance and I chose Graycote Inn largely by the positive reviews on sites like this, and we were certainly happy with our choice! The innkeepers, Pat and Roger, were incredibly friendly and helpful, eager to share their knowledge of the best "lobster pounds" in the area or offer suggestions for things to do. We were especially impressed by all of the little "extras" of our stay - coffee served outside our room in the morning before breakfast, firelogs (replaced daily) for the fireplace in our room, and the collection of restaurant menus/guidebooks/etc. located in the living room, to name a few. The breakfast served each morning was absolutely delicious. (I still think about the oat-blueberry pancakes served with real maple syrup!) Our room was VERY comfortable and served as a nice relaxing space after a day of hiking in Acadia. We were very sad to leave, and on our drive home we decided that we'll be coming back for our honeymoon this fall. We highly recommend Graycote to couples looking for a relaxing and romantic atmosphere for their trip!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We don't usually spend an entire week at a B&B but we have always wanted to see Acadia National Park and we needed several days. We took advantage of the offer of a free night if you stay 6 nights. We loved the house and property. The porch was great to sit out in late afternoon with cider and homemade cookies. Roger and Pat were very helpful about things to do, excursions to go on, places to eat, etc. The rooms were lovely and clean and the staff was diligent in tidying up your room while you were gone. Breakfast was always delicious and enjoyable on the lovely porch overlooking the garden. We enjoyed the hammock and croquet game as well in the afternoon. Overall, a lovely week.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Frenchmen's Bay room with the king-size canopy bed and soft chair and ottoman. I...
Milford, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My family just spent a week at the Graycote Inn, including my two seven year-old daughters. Everything was excellent - breakfast, accommodations, and service. Although this bed and breakfast mostly caters to grown-ups, the innkeepers made every effort to accommodate our children, who were both very happy staying there. The facility's location is very convenient to town restaurants, grocery store, laundry, and National Park entrance, but is still reasonably quiet and private. We have stayed at this place several times before and always enjoyed a satisfying vacation.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Munger
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I don't really have anything bad to say but I don't have anything great either. Make sure to read the fine print about breakfast because all they serve vegatarian dishes, no sausage and bacon here. The room was ok but really loud from the supermarket.

The inn keepers are alright but not the friendliest people I have met. Told us what area information we needed and away we went. Overall the place was just ok.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Pros: Very clean, charming rooms, great location, healthy breakfasts, wi-fi, good conversations with other guests.

Cons: Greeted with slight annoyance I had arrived early, I was given a tour of downstairs and informed of rules. Just 5 minutes after settling into my room, there was a knock on my door to make sure I understood I was to take no more than one cup of coffee from the pot left in the hallway in the mornings. Lots of up to date information was supplied but somehow it felt as if this was also an effort to make communication with guests unnecessary. Although I didn't experience the bark of the owners, others during my stay did - made to feel as if they were intruding and lectured like children. There seemed to be no flexibility in the schedule and little joy in serving guests. In the owner's defense, I believe their behavior is not mean spirited--just not relaxed and comfortable with others. Not the welcoming and social B& B experience I was expecting.

Room Tip: Loved my room (Cranberry Isles ) with the exception of the tiny tub with hand held showerhead making...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank J502
York, Maine
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Great location, plenty of privacy, scrumptious breakfasts. Went out of their way to make me a delicious gluten free breakfast.
A bit noisy from Hannafords trucks nearby. If sensitive to noise you can request the quiet side of the Inn. We will return next year.

Wheaton, Illinois
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Being unfamiliar with B&B's, we took a chance on the Graycote Inn and were not disappointed. We stayed three nights in the upper floor of the Carriage House. It is a lovely suite of rooms - nicely decorated and furnished. We slept like babies. The beds were so comfortable and noise was not an issue. Breakfast was delicious and a very pleasant experience where we chatted with our hosts and other guests. In other reviews I've seen complaints about the demeanor of the proprietors, particularly Roger. I have to say that Roger can be a bit gruff at first, but he really is a nice guy. He was particularly attentive to a problem we had with our TV. He also gave us some great advice about visiting the fjord, Southwest Harbor, and the lighthouse. We had a beautiful morning that day thanks to Roger! Pat also helped us by giving us a recommendation for dinner at Galyn's (yum) and by showing us the back alley shortcut to the grocery store. You just can't beat the location of this place. We could abandon our car at the Graycote and explore the town on foot. No worry about parking. I would definitely visit Bar Harbor and stay at the Graycote again!

Room Tip: The carriage house suites would be perfect for families. They include a sitting room with a TV and...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family