“Beautiful B&B...with lots of rules and regulations!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Graycote Inn
Ranked #21 of 31 Bar Harbor B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Beautiful B&B...with lots of rules and regulations!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Graycote Inn for 2 nights. We stayed in the carriage house portion, in the Eagle Lake Suite. Upon arrival we received a fairly long tutorial on the rules and procedures of the Inn. It was a little off-putting, but, as the Inn is so beautiful, we were able to overlook the somewhat austere personalities of the owners. The suite was clean, spacious and beautifully appointed. Breakfast is served only between 9am - 10am...so, you need to be punctual. The meals were delicate and delicious. My only issue with the Graycote are the owners.
It is hard not to get the feeling that they would rather not have any guests in their Inn. I was actually chastised for not following the correct procedure, when I went into the dining room and called, "Hello"...instead of ringing the bell. On the day we had checked out, they were kind enough to let us park the car in their lot, until returned from our bike ride. Upon returning from the ride though, the owner would not even let me use a washroom or the kitchen sink to wash my hands.
I was shocked. As lovely as the Graycote property is, I would definitely think twice before returning.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Bubbletown420

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Second time a charm!! Was here many years(15) ago from Philadelphia suburb and returned with family from Italy this week. Pat & Rodger are wonderful and ready to help and assist in all your needs. The Bed & Breakfast is the perfect retreat in Bar Harbor. Clean, relaxing and a wonderful breakfast prepared with attention to details. The yard is plenty and a place to enjoy a late afternoon cocktail or game. When I get back to Bar Harbor, the Graycote Inn will again be my choice.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, just depends on the size of party. We had two rooms: one in the main house and...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Westerville, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My family spent six days at Graycote Inn this past June. We had an excellent team of husband and wife innkeepers. They were gracious and gave us all kinds of tips and suggestions on what to do. They even had a guide for activities in case it rained. The rooms were very clean and we loved the fact that ours was in the Carriage house tucked away from the main house. We highly recommend this inn in case your plans take you to Bar Harbor, Maine.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Owners showed high level of interest in making your stay work. Very flexible on meals - they offered to provide a brown-bag lunch for the next morning once they heard of our early-morning cruise.

If you want to check in quickly, you may want to say something - both owners have a long "schpeel" about the town, the restaurants, etc. They don't seem to read their audience to see if the group wants a a full "schpeel" - ya just get it all.

Rooms were nice without trying to be overcute (i.e., over b-n-b'd), and were larger than expected (some bnb rooms can be quite "cozy").

Piano in common room was even In tune (well, close anyway :) ). Wished we could have partaken of the croquet pitch.

Sit-down breakfast was uncommonly good (how do they make those waffles so fluffy and crisp yet substantial?).

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Luquillo, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed 4 nights at the Graycote end of July. The breakfasts were super and they were very accommodating for dietary restrictions. The owners gave good tips on things to do that would not be in guidebooks, The room was very comfortable. And the locations a few blocks from town was a nice way to see more than if we were right in the Center.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Palm Bay, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed for 3 days last week at the Graycote Inn, and it was a fabulous experience. Roger was very thorough in explaining how their inn operates and provided ideas for things to do. He loaned us a CD to drive through Acadia National Park for a self-guided tour. (A must do!) We looked forward to every delicious breakfast every morning. I loved them so much, I purchased the cookbook so I could continue the bed and breakfast experience when I returned home. The room and bathroom was very clean and nicely decorated. I had never been to Maine before; and if I ever return, I would love to stay at the Graycote Inn again. Thank you Roger and Pat for our favorite stay in the northeast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank Cindy0015
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

For our first trip to Bar Harbor / Acadia, my fiance and I chose Graycote Inn largely by the positive reviews on sites like this, and we were certainly happy with our choice! The innkeepers, Pat and Roger, were incredibly friendly and helpful, eager to share their knowledge of the best "lobster pounds" in the area or offer suggestions for things to do. We were especially impressed by all of the little "extras" of our stay - coffee served outside our room in the morning before breakfast, firelogs (replaced daily) for the fireplace in our room, and the collection of restaurant menus/guidebooks/etc. located in the living room, to name a few. The breakfast served each morning was absolutely delicious. (I still think about the oat-blueberry pancakes served with real maple syrup!) Our room was VERY comfortable and served as a nice relaxing space after a day of hiking in Acadia. We were very sad to leave, and on our drive home we decided that we'll be coming back for our honeymoon this fall. We highly recommend Graycote to couples looking for a relaxing and romantic atmosphere for their trip!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple