“Went for honeymoon & loved our stay”
Review of Bar Harbor Inn

Bar Harbor Inn
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Warwick, Rhode Island
“Went for honeymoon & loved our stay”
Reviewed 26 March 2011

My husband and I are from RI and when we got married & bought a house last August we decided to do a low-key honeymoon. We didn't want to pay for plane tickets, so we drove 6 hours to Bar Harbor and stayed at the Bar Harbor Inn & Spa. It was lovely! Our room was on the first floor facing the harbor and we had a small balcony complete with two Adirondack chairs so we could sit and watch the boats come in and out. Our room wasn't enormous, but we didn't mind. We had a fireplace, a TV, a wardrobe (with two plush robes that we used the whole time we were there!), a small dresser, and a table. Our bathroom was a typical hotel size and very clean. Actually the whole place was very well-kept. We met our housekeeper, Karen, on our first full day and she gave us some suggestions for places to see while we were on the island. We had gotten one of the summer packages for our stay so it included breakfast every morning at their awesome restaurant (so much more than a continental breakfast!), one dinner in the restaurant, one down east lobster bake on the terrace, a harbor cruise, and a spa credit, which we used towards a couples massage. The spa is in a separate building on the hotel grounds and it's so serene in there. We didn't want to leave! The hotel offered tea and coffee in the lobby and in the afternoons when we'd come in from exploring the town, there would be cookies and juice or lemonade out on a table. The older part of the hotel has a really interesting history which we learned about while we were there. There's also a cute little gift shop next to the lobby, although I think it was a bit overpriced.

Overall our low-key Bar Harbor honeymoon was great and the Bar Harbor Inn made it that much better. The view from our room was very nice, the hotel was well kept and clean, and everyone we met was friendly. The food was a lot better than we anticipated, and we are considering going back for our one year anniversary this summer!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank antaram310

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
St. Charles, MO
Reviewed 23 January 2011

I was told this hotel was the best of the best. It wasn't. I was disappointed. The service was not good. The front desk people checked us in with no sign of caring whether we were there or not. We reserved one of the best of the rooms and the staff didn't seem to care whether we were there or not. I have my own business and know how to treat clients and this hotel didn't really care. The management needs to pay attention to detail. If a business wants to be the best, then act like the best. It wasn't cheap. I wanted the best in Bar Harbor, but wished we would have stayed at a different place. Maybe this was a good place to stay years ago, but the management has let down their guards. Too bad. I wouldn't even go back to Bar Harbor again because of our experiences at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank teethers
BHI, Innkeeper at Bar Harbor Inn, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
I am very sorry to hear that this guest did not find our service to be up to his expectations. Our goal is to treat every guest as a valued individual. We truly want all our guests to not only enjoy their stay at the Inn but also enjoy Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park.

It is unfortunate that we failed this guest. I hope that he will reconsider and come back to Bar Harbor. We would be honored if he would give us a second chance. At the very least I hope he will give Bar Harbor a second chance.

I believe that what this guest experienced is not the norm for our service. I invite other potential guests to read the many other reviews that comment on our staff being friendly and welcoming.
Deal, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 December 2010

loved this hotel..fireplace in our room...great balcony overlooking water

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Boston
Reviewed 19 November 2010

I look forward to going back to Bar Harbor and will always stay at this inn. They upgraded us for free without our asking to an oceanview room. Requesting a late checkout on our third day was "No problem." the room and bath were beautiful and spotless. The breakfast buffet was complete. Zero complaints and a ton of praise.

• Stayed November 2010
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 November 2010

My recent two night stay at the Bar Harbor Inn was wonderful. You might expect that a late autumn stay in northern Maine might be chilling, but the view from our room, the welcoming staff, the convenience of the breakfast service, and the cleanliness over all was greatly appreciated.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 November 2010

This is a large, extremely expensive hotel in a prime location. Housekeeping staff very pleasant. The room was small, worn out and tired, furnishings cheap, amenities mediocre, breakfast buffet crummy, coffee terrible. The "disabled access" was not accessible; elevator was broken when I needed it. I wrote to the manager a week later to express my concerns. Several weeks afterwards he responded by essentially brushing me off. Very disappointing experience all around.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
BHI, Innkeeper at Bar Harbor Inn, responded to this review, 18 November 2010
I am very sorry about this guest’s disappoint with his stay. I did receive a letter from the guest and we tried to call so that we could have a deeper understanding of his concerns. After a couple of calls and a message left asking for a return call, I decided to respond instead with a letter not wanting to delay any more than the 2 weeks that had already passed.

The guest did say in their letter that on the whole their stay was very pleasant and they found our grounds beautifully kept, our location ideal and our staff friendly and helpful. It seemed his primary disappoint was with the fact that the elevator was unavailable at the time he wanted to visit his family that were staying on the second floor of the Main Inn. In my letter I apologized and explained to him that the elevator was temporarily out of service while we were having a mandatory state inspection.

The guest did also make several suggestions on how we could improve our handicap accessible room as well as commented that he felt the room could use renovation and mentioned some other concerns. I thanked him for his comments and let him know that the room he stayed in is scheduled for renovation this winter.

I am sorry that the guest did not find my letter a satisfactory response. It sincerely was not my intention to be dismissive about his concerns. It would have been better if we were able to come to a more complete understanding in a phone call.
Wilmington, Delaware, Usa
Reviewed 5 November 2010

When the leaves form and when they fall we visit the Bar Harbor Inn to beat the crowds. We love the relaxing atmosphere and views from the oceanfront lodge where you can sip wine and watch fishing boats come and go or watch a cruise ship tender its passengers to shore.
The term location, location, location, was created for this inn, it is within a quick walk to the village shops and restaurants and a short drive to Acadia Park but yet very quiet. The inn sits on a well manicured corner lot over looking Frenchman's Bay.
The staff in the Reading Room dining area and the front desk personal are polite and attentive. We notice the same staff year after year which means the management most be doing their best to retain good motivated people. This says volumes considering the inn that isn't open during the winter.
We just love this place and always tell others about our visits but be clear it is not a 10 story hotel it is a quiet motor inn with fabulous views and a little old fashion. The drive is part of the fun getting there but we have used US Air @ BHB which is 20 minutes from the inn. We do go other places on vacation but we go to the Bar Harbor Inn twice a year during off peak times. They have some good package deals which staff will help you find what fits your stay. We could go on but this gives a good idea of what the BH Inn is about.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple