“Some to Love, some to hate”
Review of Bar Harbor Inn

Bar Harbor Inn
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Austin, Texas
“Some to Love, some to hate”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We stayed at the Bar Harbor Inn to celebrate my mothers 80th birthday. I am over 50 and my parents paid for the trip, for me and my family, and all my siblings and their children. It cost me nothing, so I had no expectations. First,
THE GOOD ; Bar Harbor is a wonderful summer destination to beat the heat. Its clean and fun and caters to the summer tourist. The Bar Harbor Inn has the best location in Bar Harbor, controlling a vast area. The main building and lobby just ooze charm and imagination of life at the turn of the last century. The staff is well trained in customer service and always greet you with a smile and greeting. The landscaping is simply magnificent. They give so much effort to keeping the huge beds of flowers everywhere in top shape, its just breathtaking. The pool was older and broken on arrival, but after 24 hours it was back in service and enjoyable.
THE BAD. - I stayed with my nephew in room 615, and it stank. I could not put my finger on it. At first I thought it had once been a smoking room. Then I thought it had mold and mildew in the AC split, so I actually went to the local grocery and bought a gallon of Hydrogen Peroxide and a dish brush, and cleaned the return air filter and fins on the AC evaporator. No difference. The room just stank, it smelled like a high school boys locker room, and it was really noticeable. I really thought it was pathetic that no one seemed to catch this problem in such a nice hotel. My brothers room was the same, not quite as pronounced as mine, but that same smell was there. I never complained until check out. I just did not want to be a sour puss, or a wet blanket on everyone else's vacation, I wish I had now. I would never stay in this hotel again, unless it was published that they had a major remodel. The rest of the room decor was very dated. The bathrooms have had an update in the past ten years, but he rest of the room looks like it was stuck in the 1970's. Sure wish they have as much attention to the cleanliness of the rooms as they do the landscaping.

2 Thank ChickenRanch2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
Dieppe, Canada
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Terrific and complete resort in the higher price range but worth every penny. Everything is within walking distance: the docks for cruises (the Inn has its own dock and sailing cruise), many splendid restaurants serving delicious food, including the two at the inn, a one-mile walking path along the shoreline, a beautifully landscaped property, a SPA, swimming pool, and many benches from which to view Frenchman's Bay. Acadia Park is minutes away by car. The staff is knowledgeable, courteous and always ready to help.

Room Tip: The Newport Building offers the best value. One can easily walk to everything else.
1 Thank mimi11142
Colorado
Reviewed 18 July 2011

A perfect stay - great views from room, breakfast included; close to Acadia National park and all of the shops and restaurants of Bar Harbor. Highly recommend for families. Beautiful, comfortable and relaxing!

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 13 July 2011

As others stated you are paying more for location and view versus super nice rooms. They are decent, but clean - definitely not fancy. The beds are comfortable, the view from the ocean front rooms is incredible and it is nice you can walk right off the property and be in downtown Bar Harbor.

I would stay here again, but don't expect a St. Regis, 4-Seasons or even W type luxury. Kind of old school Holiday Inn / Marriott room from the 80's, but does have a good TV and comfortable bed. The staff is also friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Stay in the ocean view rooms - top floor is the best.
2 Thank AtlantanITP
mentor,ohio
Reviewed 13 July 2011

We stayed in the Main building...beautiful spacious, well appointed rooms with small decks overlooking Frenchman Bay. Although close to the lobby on the first floor, amazingly quiet.

Although the rooms are a bit pricy, the desire of the staff to assure your comfort and happiness simply outweighs the cost. The wonderful people were helpful and engaged in giving you the best experience possible. Many thanks to them all!

Room Tip: Go for the Main Building, overlooking the harbor. Best views in my estimation..
1 Thank christinelakus
NY
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I was very concerned about staying here. Many people rate the view, but don't talk about the hotel itself. We stayed in an oceanfront lodge king room. The room itself is fine. It's an older place, but has had updating. Not luxurious, but updated enough to be acceptable. Bathroom in king rooms have deep tubs with granite surrounds, and the sink is a granite top also. This was my major concern, I'm a cookie cutter type, I like new and modern, but this was very acceptable. View was amazing.. The free internet provided is fine for checking email and the web. No need to pay for their upgraded internet. The hotel provides a generous continental breakfast, located in the lodge building. Bagels, toast , muffins,cake, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, and a lot of fresh fruit, and cereal. It did the trick. If you want a full breakfast and want to pay, you can go in the Reading room restaurant, in the main building. The grounds of the hotel are lovely. Staff is numerous and friendly. The rooms cost a fortune in the summer, after tax, it is just under 400 per night. However, you are in Bar Harbor in the summer, and you are paying for location,, location, location. I wanted to write this detailed review, so others know what they are getting. As I said, I kept reading about the views, but I wanted to know about the rooms and bathrooms. The bar harbor inn, is not a new place and I was very concerned, but alas, no worries here.

2 Thank mittmott
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 July 2011

This Inn gives an old world feel with modern luxury. My husband and I came here on our Honeymoon and stayed over Fourth of July. The hotel amenities were excellent. We chose to go with the package that included 2 dinners at the Reading Room, Downeast Lobster Bake at the Terrace Grill and a full breakfast Daily. Besides the food this package also included a boat ride on the Margaret Todd and $20 to spend in the gift shop.

The location of the Inn is perfect! It is right on the bay and sits along the Shore Path, which is an amazing walk. It's also right next to main street where you can find anything from food, gift shops and pharmacies.

The food in the Reading Room was just magnificent. Our package included soup or salad, main course and dessert. The meals were so hearty that we ended up taking dessert back to the room with us. We also chose to get breakfast in the room some mornings which we could use our voucher for and it was so romantic! A newspaper is delivered each morning to your room and coffee and tea are always available in the lobby. Often there were cookies or a fruit platter put out by the tea and coffee which were always yummy!

Our room was spacious and very very clean. The mattress was quite comfy as well! We have both decided we would never stay any other place in Bar Harbor! The Summer Delight package was definitely the best choice for us!