“Absolutley loved it, planning on returning next year”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bar Harbor Inn

Bar Harbor Inn
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
New Haven, Connecticut
“Absolutley loved it, planning on returning next year”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

The view and amenities of this hotel were phenominal. The food at the restaurant was wonderful. As to the service, our wait staff was excellent. Provided attentive service at a good pace without rushing you. Thank you to Tammy, Dee Dee and all the others. The bar staff were always quick with a smile and helpful conversation (Alan?/or Alex). Service was always pleasant without being haughty.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank beebopandhop

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
Bernardston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

We've been to Bar Harbor many times, but this was our first time staying at the Bar Harbor Inn. We will never stay anywhere else! It was wonderful. We have 2 little boys, and I was so impressed with how clean everything was! We stayed in the Newport Building, and the rooms were great with a private balcony. It was very quiet too. And the free continental breakfast was wonderful! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. There is even a heated pool right on the ocean, and a playstructure my boys loved! The only part we didn't like were that the beds were really hard.

Room Tip: Even the cheapest rooms in the Newport building are great!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Duxbury, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

We changed to the Inn after a bad experience at the sister hotel the Bar Harbor Grand Hotel. I called early Sunday morning and they had one room left with water views. I took it and was thrilled. It was a mix of the charm of yester year with the conveniences we have all learned to expect. The staff was OUTSTANDING and so willing to help you. We received a beautiful bucket of ice with a lovely bottle of sparkiling cider from France and two champagne glasses with a card welcoming us. We will definitely stay at the Inn on a return visit. Thankfully there are still some hotels and staff who know what customer service is about.

Room Tip: Lovely rooms with beautiful water view. Terrace dining was fun and delicious.
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

Admittedly, my first encounter with the front desk might have helped me form an overall negative opinion. My husband waited outside while I went to check in. There were 2 young ladies manning the front desk, one taking care of a gentleman and the other on the phone. I waited behind the man. The one young lady hung up the phone, then proceeded to do some paperwork. I assumed it was something she had to take care of, so I waited patiently. When another man walked up, she immediately got up and said "May I help you, Sir?" I then said "Oh, I believe I'm next". With that, she gave me a funny look and apologized to the man. The other girl was finished checking the first man in and said "Oh Sir, I can take care of you. Sorry for that", and laughed. I guess they didn't think I needed the apology for waiting so long.
The grounds are very nice and pretty well maintained. Our room was in the oceanfront lodge and had a beautiful view. The only upgrades are new bedspreads, drapes and a flat screen TV. The bathrooms have old mauve fixtures, with fiberglass tub enclosures. The sheets were nubby and the "luxurious" bathrobes were all frayed on the ends. We had two drinking glasses to use and they were never replaced in two days, the same bird doo on the balcony that was never wiped up. The pool is old with plastic chairs. There was no service to speak of and the only staff member I saw was the one who threw bags of laundry down the steps as I was walking up. I know he's only doing his job and did not see me (seemed to be a recurring theme there...I am short, but not invisible) He did apologize, so it was no big deal.
Breakfast was a continental buffet, cafeteria style. The first day the fresh fruit in the big bowl had a foamy appearance and rancid taste to it. It was better the second day. The rest of the buffet was much like any motel, with big canisters of cereal, bowls of yogurt and self-service toaster. It's a bit crowded at peak times and everyone returns their tray to the bin when they're finished.
All in all, I was disappointed and told them so upon checkout. They did say that people do remark about the appearance of the bathrooms. The hotel is in a perfect location, but I feel that it is very overpriced. At $350+ per night, I expected a lot more than a glorified motel. I'm not a stuffy person, and I don't expect to be catered to all of the time, but there should be a little more attention to detail at those prices. Perhaps the Newport rooms are a better value. The Harborside hotel nearby has just as great of a location, looks newer and was less pricey. I might give that a try next time.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank dailema
Chadds Ford, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

This motel is perfect for families and quite convenient to the sights in Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. Our room had a bathroom between two bedrooms, each with their own tv so our college age children could stay up as late as they wanted and watch their own tv programs while my husband and I could enjoy our own tranquility in this comfortable motel. The fridge was convenient for snacks and cool beverages, and the morning complimentary tea, coffee and orange juice in the lobby area was nice, too. Reasonably priced, a fairly quiet setting (get a room at the top of the hill as this area is extra private), a nice pool, all combine for a nice getaway in a beautiful part of the country.

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Stayed for 5 nights. Centrally located. Complimentary continental breakfast with fresh fruit, yummy baked goods. Right on the ocean with beautiful ocean path directy in front of inn. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Pool with view of ocean. Cookies and hot drinks in the afternoon. Had a garden room, where you could sit on the patio and just relax. Close to Acadia, whale watching, Margaret Todd, and Sunday farmer's market. Loved it!!!

1 Thank mmichelle07
York Beach, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Upon arrival on one of the hottest days ever,we were welcomed with the warmest greeting ever,we experienced the graciousness of a time past,the warmth of everyone at the Bar Harbor Inn was exceptional,their staff is outstanding,the front desk,is there to see you are happy,the view is breathtaking the rooms cozy and inviting,they even went so far to build a small ramp so my friend could go with her motorized wheelchair on the deck,it meant so much to her,so yes the food was excellent the view exceptional,but the kindness was what we will remember,thank you each and everyone of you,we will be back as many times as we can

1 Thank crabbyjan