“Classic and comfortable”

Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Minneapolis
“Classic and comfortable”
Reviewed 29 September 2008

We stayed at the Inn as part of a bike tour and added a day before and after. Wonderful staff and service. Very good continental breakfast but breakfast in the dining room is worth the splurge. Don't miss the blueberry pancakes! Quiet bar with a good cocktail. The rooms overlooking the bay are great fun for sunrises and when the cruise ships pass in and out. The gardens add great color to the grounds.

• Liked — Staff and location
  • Stayed September 2008
1 Thank UpnorthMN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
Fitchburg, MA
Reviewed 28 September 2008

This was our second stay at The Bar Harbor Inn. The first time was 3 years ago at the same time of year. (end of September) The hotel is beautiful, almost magical. You are near the hustle and bustle, but a world away. The grounds are picturesque and the rooms are very nice. We again rented the ocean view room and truly enjoyed watching the 5 cruise ships come into port and depart. Watching this made it hard to imagine the economy is in the shape it is. We loved sitting out on our private balcony listening to the tide splash against the rocks. Yes, people do walk by as another person posted, but not everyone feels the need to talk to you and the rocky path is not as noisy as the other poster would lead you to believe. Walking and talking are normal noises you experience on vacation. The rooms are noise proof and we appreciated that we could not hear talking next to us or above us.
The staff is attentive and eager to please. You do get what you pay for and this is worth every penny. I think the only negative I could add is the $8.95 charge for wireless internet. I think for the price of the room it could be a freebie thrown in. That petty matter would never stop me from booking again.
The free continental breakfast was deluxe. The presentation was great and the variety expansive. If you needed anything more than they offered you could always go to the restaurant.
Treat yourself and book a nice, peaceful hotel, we certainly will do so again.

• Liked — The View
1 Thank MASSDEREKJETERGIRLY
Dayton, Ohio USA
Reviewed 28 September 2008

Our stay was average, nothing terrible, but nothing to set it apart for the price either. My husband & I stayed over a long weekend Friday-Monday in the Oceanview rooms. There is nothing that sets the rooms apart from any moderate hotel, standard bath/beds, dresser TV, coffee in the room etc; so what you are paying for is the view.

A local paper had an article about an added cruise line stop - and the additional tourists it was bringing to the area. The entire time we were there, there were always two large cruise
ships anchored in each bay- one in Frenchmans bay and one on oceanside (your view), except at sunrise and usually departing after sunset.

When we booked our room the only option was a garden level.
The shore path that runs along in front of your room is roughly
20-30 feet from your 'private" balcony and is made of gravel, so everyone walking by tends to wave/ talk to you, stare at you and if you are sleeping and its 6am, the crunch of the gravel will wake you up. (yes that is with the doors closed) sound travels over water...perhaps the second story rooms do not have this issue.

The continental breakfast was fairly typical, not crowded - again, if you lodge in the oceanside rooms, the lobby here is where this
is held, so if your room is anywhere near here, it is noisy & you will be up & awake as they begin set up and then as it fills with people talking and eating, inside and out on the balcony area.

The two restaurants we did not have an opportunity to dine in -
The Terrace Grill - is right where one of the cruise ships Ferry's in people, so it is always packed. The main dining room we opted not to try.

The main lobby area is very nice, they have cookies and coffee
in early afternoon if you happen to be in the building at that time.
The staff is very polite when you speak to them, and very reserved, so they will not approach you - it was collectively sort of
a hold you at arms length experience...

We did walk around other areas of the property, the gardens are beautiful and well maintained. The fitness area is rather tired and could use a facelift and new carpet - it smelled very musty.

Overall we enjoyed the proximity to the water, the gardens on the property and being close to town without being on Main street.

• Liked — The garden areas
  • Disliked — A little pricey for value
Alabama
Reviewed 21 September 2008

I can't say enough good things about our stay at this hotel. The Bar Harbor Inn is a first class Inn. We had a double queen with a water view in the main inn. The views from the balcony were heavenly. We did not move our car for two days. We walked everywhere. We ate at the Reading Room Restaurant. The meal was excellent as was the service, and again, the wonderful view. I wish we could have stayed longer.

• Liked — View, close to shops, restaurants, activities
1 Thank travelhappyAlabama
Manchester,NH
Reviewed 19 September 2008

My parents have been going to the Bar Harbor Inn every year since 1991 and have always raved about it, so this year I decided to join them. From the moment I arrived, I fell in love with the charm of this beautiful historic inn. The service is fantastic and the staff is extremely welcoming. They have various levels of accomodations, so there is truly something for everyone. I also loved the 80 minute hot stone massage that I had in the inn's relaxing spa.
The ocean front rooms provide a gorgeous view of the harbor but all of the guests that stay can take full advantage of the picturesque harbor views as there are plenty of nooks and seating along the lawns that stretch out to the ocean front. The grounds were very nice and there is also a very nice ocean walk path that stretches along the inn. There is a very good complimentary continental breakfast available to all guests in the morning- so we found that we never wanted to go out to breakfast while we were there. However, they do offer full breakfasts for those who may want heartier meals in the morning.
We did enjoy absolutely fantastic dining in the inn's Reading Room Restaurant. From the soft piano music to the breathtaking view of the harbor, to the delicious meals that we enjoyed- I can't say enough about the quality of the food and the lovely ambiance there.
Our server and the dining room manager were wonderful and went above and beyond to ensure that we were happy with everything. We were delighted!
Though we were sad to leave, we will be booking again for next year and cannot wait to go back. I believe our annual visit to The Bar Harbor Inn will become one of our favorite yearly traditions.

• Liked — Loved the location, the service and the historic charm of the inn
  • Disliked — Nothing- I really loved everything about it
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank StarNurse08
Maine
Reviewed 17 September 2008

I recently had a delicious dinner at the Bar Harbor Inn's Reading Room Restaurant and remembered that years ago my daughter had given me and my Mom a surprise stay at the Inn.

I had just lost my job and was having a difficult time of it. She knew that her Grandmother's Birthday was coming up and thought it would be a great idea to send me up to Maine to visit my Mom and then the two of us stay at the Bar Harbor Inn.

What a treat! Mom & Dad actually live pretty close to Mount Desert Island, but had never stayed at the Inn.

Everything was so nice, the people were great, room and view were spectacular. The stay was so relaxing it helped me to get over my blues and spend time with Mom. To this day she will say "Joanne, remember when we stayed at the Inn...."

In my opinion, this is the only place to stay on the island.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — Not enough time
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank MaineBasketweaver
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed 14 September 2008

I loved the Bar Harbor Inn, truly, it' s the best place to stay if you want to visit Acadia. The location is perfect in the center of Bar Harbor. Great breakfast and don't miss the (heated!) pool.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple