“Enjoyable”
Review of Bar Harbor Inn

Bar Harbor Inn
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Staying here was like going back in time; a time when hotels provided their guest with extra amenities and enjoyable visits. The rooms at this hotel are clean and well taken care of. The breakfast buffet offers many choices or breakfast is served in the main dining room if you prefer to order from a menu. There is an easy walk around the hotel which gives a great view of the bay. The hotel has a nice bar and restaurant with excellent, well dressed staff. If you prefer, it’s an easy walk to the town of Bar Harbor where you’ll find shopping and restaurants. We hope to have another opportunity to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Traveler2708
BHI-GM, General Manager at Bar Harbor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to be our guest at the Bar Harbor Inn & Spa. We appreciate that you took the time to give us a review on Tripadvisor. It is fantastic to read that you had an enjoyable visit with us. It is very pleasing to us that you mention our rooms are clean and well taken care of. I will pass this on to our Housekeeping and Maintenance Departments.

I would like to thank you for mentioning that our hotel has a nice bar and restaurant with well dressed staff and our breakfast buffet offers many choices. I agree that we have one of the best locations for enjoying a great view of the ocean or harbor and it is an easy walk into town. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Without the amazing location and views, this hotel is very average. The room was small with an armoire as the closet and a not so large bathroom. Our balcony was enough to seat 2 comfortably. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The towels were your average hotel towel as were the complimentary soaps and such. I actually expected a body wash in addition to the lotion since it was a spa...

The pool was average and there was a hot tub that was almost too hot to get into. I like hot hot tubs...but I almost could not get in...must have been 104ish? My husband and I each had a massage. Mine was actually terrific! My husband's was horrible.....more like a rub.

Now for the great part. The view from our room was amazing! Right out to the harbor with the boats coming and going and the sunset views from our balcony! We sat on our balcony for the perfect view of the fireworks...which worked out well since it was pouring....

I would really give this Inn and Average rating if not for the views.

Room Tip: Must request a harbor view......
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
BHI-GM, General Manager at Bar Harbor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. I appreciate your very kind comments regarding your view, that your room was very clean and your bed was comfortable. I am disheartened to hear about some of the things that you were unhappy with. Thank you for mentioning these items because it helps me with managing our property. Your input is very important to us.

We hope that you decide to return as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband, an amputee in a wheelchair, and I made reservations for an accessible room at BHI. When we checked in, we found the room to have a two+ inch lip for entry. This would have made it impossible for my husband to enter and exit the room on his scooter. Returning to the front desk, they apologized to us and changed our room to an accessible room. The rest of our stay there was absolutely delightful. The 'continental' breakfast included in the room charge was beyond any I had seen anywhere. Every imaginable type of bread, fruit, cereal (hot & cold) - even a sweet bread to be consumed at tables (indoors & out) overlooking the waterfront.
Only a short walk, or scooter ride, to all the shops & restaurants in downtown Bar Harbor,
The rooms were well maintained, outfitted with everything we could possibly need, and our room had a balcony where we could sit and just enjoy the sea view and ocean air.

Room Tip: Most rooms are ocean front. Rooms at the Oceanfront Lodge also have a private balcony; and are hand...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to be our guest at the Bar Harbor Inn & Spa during your recent trip to Bar Harbor. I appreciate your patience with us finding a different room for you upon your check in. I am so pleased to hear the rest of your stay was absolutely delightful. Thank you for your great comments regarding our Continental Breakfast in the Oceanfront Lodge Building. I agree we have almost everything you can think of for a Continental Breakfast. It is fantastic to read that you found our rooms well maintained and had everything you could possibly need. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We've been coming to Maine for 35 years and make a stop in BH every 5-7 years. I've seen the town during good times and bad times. Although there are newer properties to choose from, nothing can compare to the "Grand Dame" of Bar Harbor. She sits on a quiet bluff over looking Frenchman's Bay where you can choose a room in the Main Inn with spectacular bay views or pool/garden views or the ocean front lodge which is an annex built to accommodate increasing demand over the decades. The Newport lodge is for the cost conscience travel, sitting on the other side of the parking lot while allowing you all the amenities of this wonderful location and property, so why stay outside of town to save a few bucks? I've staying in all 3 buildings at different stages of my traveling life. I must also add I am a travel agent who books this property with great confidence.
For families looking for a great location and value, stay 4 to a room in the Newport and walk to everything in town. For families traveling to BH for a once in a lifetime time trip, pay more for the oceanfront lodge and seal those views in your brain. For couples splurge for the main lodge. I book my clients who will only go to BH once in the bay view rooms ($$$) and for me, I love the pool garden view rooms with easy access to the pool/spa. There are also rooms to accommodate larger families in the Main Lodge for those who have a larger budget. Cookies and lemonade are served in the lobby in the afternoon and an ample cold b'fast is included in your rate. The new properties which look spectacular online are noisy and without character. Stay at the BH Inn and don't expect a large pool like in the Caribbean....this is MAINE after all!
For those of you looking to dine for a special occasion, try the Reading Room which is the most elegant restaurant in BH. Unfortunately I have only enjoyed a great martini there with spectacular views. We prefer the more casual dining on the patio.

1  Thank NCluvs2travel77

Dear Guest,

I really appreciate your outstanding review of the Bar Harbor Inn & Spa. Thank you for describing our property so well and for sending your clients to stay with us. I truly feel fortunate to work at such a beautiful property with great staff that return each year and fantastic guests that always seem to come back to visit us. I welcome everyone to give us a try and be our guest when they visit Bar Harbor. We can’t wait to welcome you back.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Bar Harbor Inn and would recommend it to anyone. We stayed in a family suite that comes with 2 bedrooms and one bath which worked out well with our two children staying in the second bedroom.
The hotel has a beautiful view of the water and is perfectly situated and within walking distance of all of The shops and restaurants in Bar Harbor.

It is a 3-4 minute drive to the entrance of Acadia National Park from the hotel. Breakfast is good as a free continental breakfast. We never ate at the hotel as there are dozens of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.

Stayed: June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us a review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us. I am very happy to here our 2 bedroom suite worked well for you and your family. I hope you enjoyed Acadia National Park with all it has to offer. We are very lucky to have the park right next store to us. Have a great summer and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed here for the week of 4th of July. We wanted a spot from which we could explore the village, access Acadia National Park and easily meet up with family who were staying in a nearby town. The Bar Harbor Inn fit the bill perfectly! Our first floor room in the Ocean Front Lodge was spacious with a balcony that overlooked Frenchman's Bay and the shore path. Free guest parking was right outside of our room door. Our room was nice, clean and quiet - not sure why another reviewer said the Ocean Front Lodge rooms smelled like mildew and smoke, ours was perfectly fine. The staff was friendly and accommodating throughout our stay. We can't wait to return!

Dear Guest,

It is great to read that the Bar Harbor Inn fit the bill perfectly for your stay in Bar Harbor. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your first floor Ocean Front Lodge room and that it was spacious with a balcony that overlooked Frenchman’s Bay and the shore path. Thank you for mentioning that our staff was friendly and accommodating throughout your stay. We can’t wait to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

the room was on the first floor and smelled like mildew and tobacco. it opens on a nice balcony but also on a public path that is any any time packed with tourists. you have no privacy on the balcony or in the room. if you come to relax, this is definitely not the place.
the pool is small.
the restaurant surprisingly is elegant.
but the hotel rooms look like a cheap motel, but they are not cheap!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank dodiloo

Dear Guest,

I appreciate that you took the time to give us a review. I am disheartened that you didn’t enjoy your room during your stay with us. I wish you would have mentioned you were unhappy with your room to our Front Desk, when you checked in, because we would have addressed this immediately. Our guests are very important to us and we will do everything in our power to make sure they are satisfied with their room. I hope that you will give us another try in the future.