“Definitely Wouldn't Recommend” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
New York City, New York
“Definitely Wouldn't Recommend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency consists of two buildings, a main building with the reception desk and a separate building that has only guest rooms. We stayed in the separate building so I can't really speak for the rooms in the main building but I would recommend trying to get a room in the main building. It is more expensive but probably more convenient since you won't have to walk across a parking lot to get to the front desk and you're closer to the pool and other amenities of the hotel (the restaurant, etc).

The front desk was staffed by young receptionists who were friendly and helpful. There was a manager, Ryan if I'm not mistaken, who was NOT helpful NOR friendly. So depending on who you get at the front desk, service can be okay or rude and inept.

Our rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. The mini-fridge was tiny and old, which was surprising since most Holiday Inns I've stayed in have relatively new appliances. Housekeeping is rather careless, as the mouthwash that's provided in the bathrooms had a broken seal (so it was never replaced when the room was cleaned, which leads me to wonder what else was overlooked or not changed in the room) and our room was left OPEN when we arrived.

Outside of the guest rooms, a lot of things appeared to be in need of an update. The pool and the grounds looking out onto the water were quite nice. But again, they were located by the main building, so you would have to walk over from the second detached building (the detached building looks out mainly onto the parking lot).

I rarely find a hotel that I don't like but overall, this hotel just left a bad taste in my mouth. There are plenty of hotels in Bar Harbor so I would not be returning nor would I recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank J L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear J L,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency is in a great location. It may be "within walking distance" from downtown Bar Harbor, but it's not on a road you'd want to walk. That is to address the other reviews I see below.

The Hotel is just a minute down the road from the entrance to Acadia National Park which was our major reason for visiting. The park is just BEAUTIFUL and worth the visit.

The hotel perks, it is right on the water, there is a beautiful heated pool and hot-tub, and you can walk right down to the boat dock to enjoy the water. The restaurant was DELICIOUS, and provides great views of the scenery. The staff was all very friendly as well.

The downfalls: the staff were ALL summer workers who were young and clearly just learning the ropes for the summer. They were all very kind, but for example, I booked my room with my credit card, and then gave my debit for incidentals... to which they charged the room. My mistake on giving it to them, but I then had a $300 hold on my debit card for nearly a week before it was let go, even after correcting the charge before checking out and actually putting it on my credit card. I called accounting on the next open business day (Tuesday after the holiday) and never got a returned call, BUT, the money did get returned.

Also, the WiFi was terrible, and you're in an area that doesn't have very good cell reception (AT&T and Verizon phones were both hit or miss). So, while we were on vacation, we still needed to access work stuff in the evenings and had a hard time connecting. Again, not a big deal, but it was frustrating.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the water if possible! Some rooms face the parking lot.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Laura F
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Location is fantastic... The rooms were clean and spacious. The heated pool was an added bonus.
The staff was great and I would like to add that the manager on duty, Andrea was so pleasant and very courteous.
The breakfast was delicious with plenty of healthy choices so overall the long weekend at the holiday inn, bar harbor was totally relaxing and enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank R T
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I love the stay on memorial day weekend with my hubby. We had a wonderful time. Rooms were clean, and the staff was very friendly. Rooms were modern and the bed (OMG!) so comfortable we didn't want to get out of bed. The only complain I have, was the Fitness room, it looked neglected and not to the level of the rest of the resort but in over all everything was great, I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stay on the 3rd floor room 302 . great location , nice and quiet
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stef r
South River, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

The reception staff are very friendly and check-in was quick. I booked the Eden room and they upgraded me to the main building as the Eden room building is still closed for the season. The hotel is already old and it seems like they just renovated it. The room is huge! It was about 1.5 the size of a standard room in other hotels. I was pleasantly surprised by the size and cleanliness of it. It has a small refrigerator too. The pool is nice and heated and there is also a hot jacuzzi overlooking the ocean. Too bad it was still a bit chilly and we didn't have time to enjoy the pool. There is also a restaurant with a view but we did not try it. Location is nice as it is just close to town. You can perhaps walk to downtown Bar Harbor as there is ample parking in town. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone going to Bar Harbor! We hope to be back soon!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Kiko9411
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights and really have no complaints except there was poor internet service. Which, you are in the middle of so many beautiful parts of nature-get over it!! :) The front desk staff is incredibly helpful- ready to give recommendations for dinner or what to do for the day. They seemed sincere and genuinely concerned with how your stay was. The location is close to downtown, but not within walking distance. The hotel itself sits right on the water, so you have a beautiful view should you be lucky enough to get a waterfront room. Although there was some noise in the hallways during the evening hours, it really quieted down before bedtime and I was never woken up by other guests, traffic or the elevator. I would stay here again if I am in Bar Harbor.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Trumpditty1
Burlington, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We've been staying here for the past 5 years around the 4th of July. This is our first time here over Memorial Day. We love the location, the hotel & the views but are noticing the service is not what it used to be. The people at the front desk are not helpful or knowledgable. For example this weekend we have no Internet or cell service from our room. We can connect in the lobby but not in our room. When asked they told me the hotel is full and too many people are on the Internet. Makes no sense if I can connect in the lobby and in the parking lot! We can always depend on the Holiday Inn for Internet. This is a small ammenity but difficult to be without. Would appreciate if the hotel would acknowledge that they have a problem and not ask me to contact their tech support line which is unavailable during the holiday weekend.

Room Tip: Choose ocean view in the main building.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Coriana2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Coriana2014,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate issues with the WiFi prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J