“Wonderful resort”

Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Barrie, Canada
“Wonderful resort”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We had a lovely stay here. The room and view were great. The food at the hotel restaraunt was super. The grounds beautiful, and location great. Overall, we found the staff friendly, helpful and accomodating. Stewmans was a bit of a letdown, however our waiter was fantastic. The one complaint we have, is that upon checking in, we were told, as other guests were, that our reservation of a king ocean view room was not available. After complaining for some time, one magically appeared which we were very happy with. I would certainly recommend a stay here

Room Tip: Definitely choose an ocean view, and on second or third level if possible. Very clean hotel room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Eben S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Thanks for the positive comments. I certainly agree that the ocean view rooms are the way to go. I passed along your kudos to the staff. See you next year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Hampshire
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I was mixed about staying here about other reviews. Decided to take a chance a book at $209 plus a night for standard room non ocean view. Upon arrival it's clear this was a different hotel from the. 80s that could use some updates, esp for the price! Front desk efficient, given our first room..2nd floor..odd room, on a bend on the building do room had odd angles..not a big deal..when we went on the balcony which we knew would over look the parking lot it was a surprise to see we were over the hotels recycling area..smelly trash cans trash, dumpsters! Gross for $200 a night..we weren't going to be in room much so had the offered us a good discount on this room we would have accepted. Also window sheers had something brown dripping on them.

Asked for new room, was given one,,,good news no trash cans but partial view of area where they put things they don't need...broken toilet, air mattresses. Guess we settled. No coffee or team in lobby on morning!!! What? $200 plus no coffee? Blast is not included in stay which we knew when we booked..not a deal breaker but again for cost coffee should be included as in most hotels. Room was clean, I will say that for good news.

I think if we stayed here off season for half price it would be a better deal and location. Pool area nice, nice tiki bar. Mikey our bartender was great! Friendly and attentive. He was the friendliest person we came across here.
Overall ok...would be able to give better review if price had been better or am coffee. I've paid less $$ fir far better hotels.

Tip..us free bus shuttle to go town town! Plenty of buses plenty of space! Best way to get around the island.

Room Tip: If u don't want to see recycling or extra toilets off your balcony purchase ocean view. Bring y...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank You for taking the time to write a review. I have passed along your comments to our F&B department. Habah Java is our coffee bar located in the lobby which offers a variety of coffee selections. The Island Explorer is a wonderful service for Bar harbor. I'm glad you left your car and found the Explorer helpful.
Winnebago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Be sure to read prior posts before even considering this property. Our first room assigned was in an adjacent building that didn't even have an elevator. Property has long since seen its better days. Far and away the worst Sun Spree property we have ever visited. There are far better values in Frenchman's Bay to consider at this rate. On site management appeared to have numerous conflicts with unhappy guests during our visit, including one unbelievable exchange we observed between manager and a Crowne Plaza employee over a room rate. Move on fellow travelers, better properties want and appreciate your patronage in this region.

Room Tip: If you must, insist on a room in main property on third floor w oceanside view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kelly J
The property is made up of several buildings which allow us to offer a variety of room types at different rates. Many of our guests enjoy this flexibility when choosing a room type. I apologize if your initial room assignment was not to your liking and hope our staff resolved the issue to your satisfaction.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We are in the third floor in the main building. The room is very quiet and the beds are very comfortable. Because our room faces the road, there is not much views to talk about.

However during the stay, the manager on duty is always arguing with customers. It is kind of stranger with my holiday inn experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
I'm glad your room was comfortable and clean. If you do return I always recommend the ocean view rooms. Thanks for your feedback.
bbell968
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We only stayed one night at this hotel and wish we had more time to enjoy the amazing views and outdoor space including the pool area and pool bar. Both onsite restaurants are fantastic. Parking is easy and the staff is friendly. The lobby area is inviting and comfortable with a great coffee shop.

The hotel is close to downtown Bar Harbor and easy to get to by car or public transit, there is a bus that picks up in front of the hotel and drops off downtown. The hotel is not walking distance to downtown Bar Harbor but it is a good location with easy access to Acadia.

We stayed in the main building. I wasn't aware there were separate buildings when I booked the room but the other building was just across a small parking lot and looked newer. The main building has indoor corridors and each room has a balcony or patio with an exterior door. The corridors are worn and need updated.

The sleeping rooms seem to have been updated more recently, or at least the bedding, bathroom, tv and furniture. The room could use an overall refresh but it was clean and comfortable. Our shower did not work and there was no water pressure from the sink.

Overall, this hotel is a good option especially if you are looking for a place to relax and enjoy some down time by the pool.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bbell968
Thanks for the positive review. As you noted we have been updating the resort, and we have more projects planned for the fall. Next time stay longer ! :)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Couldn't get room with ocean view, reasonably good accommodation, clean, free standard internet, about 2 miles drive to Acadia National Park, about 6 mikes drive to Cadillac Mountain top for the amazing Sun rise view, plenty of parking, one may not consider it a great family hotel.

Room Tip: Book rooms with ocean view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our resort. You can't go wrong with a Cadillac sunrise!
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I am a platinum elite member and I travel a great deal so I always stay in an ihg property. We have been in an 18 day east coast road trip so this was our last stop before flying home. I booked this room 2 months ahead of time for this trip. When we checked in a rude person checked us in and we did not get the room we requested. We had stayed here several years ago and so I knew to ask for an ocean view room. She told me they were completely sold out which was a lie. Because I checked my app on my phone and they were not. And they had rooms available all 3 nights we were here. I have never had any problems like this in all my travels. So I took the room she gave us just to keep from causing a scene in the lobby. When I got to the room I called the manager (Andrew). And he told me he would upgrade me to an ocean view room as soon as they had one cleaned that day. So we just went out to the pool area and enjoyed the peacefulness and the beautiful scenes. Andrew had the bell man move out stuff to the ocean view room and in about an hour our room was available. So thankful that Andrew saved the day. I will stay here again if we come back to this area. It is in a good location but it is not walkable to down town unless you want to walk 2 miles in one direction. But as far as the room it was always clean and the beds are comfortable. Housekeeping does a good job. I just hope you don't have the lady that first checked us in. I failed to get her name.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Terri W
I'm sorry the beginning of your stay was not perfect, and I'm glad to hear Andrew sorted out your room issue. Hopefully you were able to enjoy the rest of your visit. Thanks for the review.