“Corporate doesn't care.....”

Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Florida
“Corporate doesn't care.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Well, I should I start.....
This hotel is at a fantastic location, amazing views of the bay.
And that is where it stops.
Three buildings with the lobby in the main building.
This is one of these classic cases where ' corporate' really doesn't care and let their staff deal with the problems.
Apart from the lobby the rest of the hotel has a very dated look.
Carpets are old and the whole thing looks like it's stuck in the '70-ies.
Rooms are outdated, AC still had the rotary dials and mechanical push buttons and was noisy.
Small refrigerator in a corner on the floor and not installed in a cabinet.
Very wishy washy WIFI.
The whole place just needs a serious overhaul.
My employer paid but otherwise I would have written a letter to 'corporate'
I know it's high season but $260/night for that room is simply excessive.

But here lies the problem with these sorts of 'corporate' owned properties at great locations.
'They' really could not care less as long as the money keeps coming in.
It's their business plan that it's cheaper to give somebody a breakfast or drink voucher then fix something or update it. No regard for customers or employees.
People of the work floor carry the brunt of the complaints.
It must be utterly frustrating working at a place like this that you know is falling apart and nobody is willing to spend the money to do something about it.

I have nothing but praise for the front desk staff and the young manager who was on duty during my stay.
When are people going to learn that it's utterly useless and extremely rude to yell at front desk staff that really have no power to change anything.
You really don't have to shout at people when your room is not as expected.
Yes, you know who you are.
It's absolutely without style.
To conclude:
Vote with your wallet and take your business elsewhere.
If you really have no other options, expect to be disappointed.
The brochure and online pictures are obviously amazing but those are professionally taken pictures and the truth looks different.

To finish on a pleasant note: breakfast room has amazing views and the breakfast is really nice.

If corporate is reading this: Fix this hotel as it has amazing potential !!!

Room Tip: Main building
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Bruce B
Eben S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
I'm sorry your stay was not perfect. I'm not sure if this was your first stay, but if you have stayed here before you surely would have noticed our recent improvements. We have recently renovated the Tiki Bar, guest bathrooms, exercise room, kids activity room, tennis courts, lobby, and installed a splash pad for the kids. We may not get it right every time, but every time we try.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Northborough, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

first of all, I can not believe this place have such a good review here, I think the reviews on yelp maybe more real to me. the lobby was not easy to find. this hotel is Bar Harbor Regency and there is no Holiday Inn sign on that building.

I booked a King room for Aug 2 2014 which is prepayed, non cancellable room at holiday Inn Offical site IHG,com, when I check in at 6pm Aug 2, the guy at front desk told me that they don't have King room available, they need to switch me to double bed room (room num 2005), it was too late to book another hotel, I have to take it. I was not happy about this, not sure why it is happening.
after I back home, I want to check my rewards point online, and there are no point added, every info about my Aug 2 stay is gone.
Room was clean, everything was working well, restroom have big fan noise, sounds like something stuck there.

I will never stay here again

Room Tip: you may not get what you booked and payed.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Yidu L
Please contact me and I will make sure your points arrive.

Travellers are raving about these Bar Harbor hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Called the hotel reservation staff direct 10 days prior to our intended 4 day stay beginning July 31 seeking additional room info and pricing. Needed two rooms for four nights so with about $2,200 in the balance, I wanted to be sure I had my questions answered. Called direct to hotel (not the generic Holiday Inn number) and spoke to Tiffany who was extremely pleasant and helpful. After getting my questions answered, I told her I would call back once I confirmed the total cost with our traveling partner ( motherinlaw). Called back within 10 minutes, and spoke with a male who was rude and made it clear I was putting him out by asking about the rate that Tiffany had just quoted me (best rate is when you agree to pay for first night in advance and is nonrefundable, which is what I wanted). He had no clue what I was talking about and after 10 seconds of silence, I thanked him for his time and hung up. I called back and got another male whose first question to me was "what's the problem?" And I simply had told him I needed help booking my rooms. We finally got through that and he lightened up, and got the rooms booked. But then I did not receive an email confirmation so I called back - no answer after 10 rings and my call rolled over to the generic 800 line. They were very nice (a little hard to understand) but after 1/2 hour on the phone, I learned the reason I didn't receive my email conflations was that the
Booking agent either never entered or deleted my email address (I gave it to him twice, once for each room).
Now the good news, after that was finally resolved we made our trip to the hotel 10 days later and we were pleased with EVERYTHING! The grounds were beautiful, location was perfect (like others have said, if you don't pay the extra for an oceanfront room you'll regret it - we paid the extra and it was great!), staff was courteous, especially the room staff who were a pleasure to speak to, and cleaned our rooms flawlessly. We ate dinner at both restaurants and were pleased. Anyway the hotel is great, I was good with the price for oceanfront, we would definitely go back here if we visit bar Harbor again. Hopefully the next time we call for reservations we'll get Tiffany!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Dave P
I'm sorry about the reservation confusion. In the future you can contact me directly and I'll make sure Tiffany is available. You made the right choice with the ocean view rooms!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Really a resort style hotel. We had a room in the proctor wing with a 3rd floor balcony. Real nice view of the water. Super quiet. Real clean. Short walk down the stairs to the clean pool/hot tub area. Pool area has chairs and a tiki bar with live music. A couple restaurant choices on property and a bus stop at the front door to take you all over the island.

Stayed August 2014
Great to hear! The Proctor wing offers the closest rooms to the ocean and pool. The live music was one of our additions to the resort and was a big hit. We are plan on continuing it next year. Thanks for the feedback.
Salem, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

This place is all about the view. Spend the extra cash and get the ocean front rooms otherwise you will be looking at the street and parking lot :-). The view from the back is amazing as well as the pool, hot tub and overall grounds. It was well kept and is totally bar harbor. Quite relaxing at night time and I loved the tiki bar (on a side note the bartender was awesome - super friendly, had lots of stories and an all around great guy).

We had a king bed room in the back overlooking the ocean. Few minor details like a small hole in the celing from an old patch and a wobbly shower faucet but it didnt really matter but if your that picky...all in all it was a great room. Comfortable bed, friendly service (early check in!) and everything is open pretty late.

My son is in love with the pool. We will be back to one of the coolest harbors around and a great hotel to stay at. Check out the "quiet side" of the island while your there. There is a nice secret fishing pier in southwest harbor. Find it :-).

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
I grew up fishing that pier! Glad you enjoyed the resort and hope to see you again.
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We had a lovely stay here. The room and view were great. The food at the hotel restaraunt was super. The grounds beautiful, and location great. Overall, we found the staff friendly, helpful and accomodating. Stewmans was a bit of a letdown, however our waiter was fantastic. The one complaint we have, is that upon checking in, we were told, as other guests were, that our reservation of a king ocean view room was not available. After complaining for some time, one magically appeared which we were very happy with. I would certainly recommend a stay here

Room Tip: Definitely choose an ocean view, and on second or third level if possible. Very clean hotel room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the positive comments. I certainly agree that the ocean view rooms are the way to go. I passed along your kudos to the staff. See you next year!
New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

I was mixed about staying here about other reviews. Decided to take a chance a book at $209 plus a night for standard room non ocean view. Upon arrival it's clear this was a different hotel from the. 80s that could use some updates, esp for the price! Front desk efficient, given our first room..2nd floor..odd room, on a bend on the building do room had odd angles..not a big deal..when we went on the balcony which we knew would over look the parking lot it was a surprise to see we were over the hotels recycling area..smelly trash cans trash, dumpsters! Gross for $200 a night..we weren't going to be in room much so had the offered us a good discount on this room we would have accepted. Also window sheers had something brown dripping on them.

Asked for new room, was given one,,,good news no trash cans but partial view of area where they put things they don't need...broken toilet, air mattresses. Guess we settled. No coffee or team in lobby on morning!!! What? $200 plus no coffee? Blast is not included in stay which we knew when we booked..not a deal breaker but again for cost coffee should be included as in most hotels. Room was clean, I will say that for good news.

I think if we stayed here off season for half price it would be a better deal and location. Pool area nice, nice tiki bar. Mikey our bartender was great! Friendly and attentive. He was the friendliest person we came across here.
Overall ok...would be able to give better review if price had been better or am coffee. I've paid less $$ fir far better hotels.

Tip..us free bus shuttle to go town town! Plenty of buses plenty of space! Best way to get around the island.

Room Tip: If u don't want to see recycling or extra toilets off your balcony purchase ocean view. Bring y...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank You for taking the time to write a review. I have passed along your comments to our F&B department. Habah Java is our coffee bar located in the lobby which offers a variety of coffee selections. The Island Explorer is a wonderful service for Bar harbor. I'm glad you left your car and found the Explorer helpful.