“Why did Barack Obama pick this place?”

Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency
Ranked #31 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Disappointed. While I have been to worse places; this place is a far cry from a luxury hotel. We arrived on an extended New England tour (private) and there was a room mix up. There was no valet or bellman. The front desk was querky --- maybe this is part of the local culture. Nice but not very efficient or well informed.
The rooms, while adequate, were old and tired.
The hotel is neither fish nor fowl --- not close to town and not rustic. If stretching I would call it average.

2  Thank FilsProdigue

Reviewed 31 August 2010

I let my guard down on this trip and let the hotel chose my room. They chose a lousy room for us (Rm 1002) in the Corfield Wing, right near the elevator, headboard against the elevator machinery room. The noise was unbearable until very late in the night. Front desk management promised to move our room and gave us a hard time when we returned and we found out our room not changed, claiming that our bags were not packed and ready. If we did not create a scene at the lobby desk, and threaten to check out, they would not have given us a room change. The light fixture switch in the 1st room was broken & the remote control in the 2nd room was inoperable. The hotel is in a great location by the sea, 1.5 mi from downtown Bar Harbor and the grounds were serene and well kept. The breakfast buffet was excellent and a good value. The hotel fit our anniversary weekend well, as it was beautiful, cozy and romantic. The fitness center was not well kept. It had a broken machine and no cups at the water cooler. The swimming pool was kept clean but some lounge furniture was broken. The staff at the front desk needs better training in customer service. In the price range we paid, this hotel would be the default choice and not the first choice, but customer service aside; we were satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank InspGadget
Reviewed 30 August 2010

Just had a 3 day great stay at the Bar Harbor Regency/Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort. Had an ocean view room looking out over the pool. At first I thought this hotel was pricey (based on it being a holiday inn) but it was well worth the cost. Pool and hot tub were great in the evening. Proximity to town is about 1 mile, there is a free bus, but we did not use, we found plenty of free parking in town.
Great meals at area restaurants, check the Chart Room, and hotel buffet was good for breakfast.
Beer lovers check out Atlantic Brewing Company, great tastings available.

Rooms are slightly dated but hotel property makes up for it (stayed in the main building).

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I will address the hotel, then some travel tips.

We stayed at the Bar Harbor Regency for 3 nights at the end of August 2010. I am a little surprised at a couple of recent negative reviews, as we had a very good experience with the hotel. We had booked an ocean view room, but the front desk upgraded us to an ocean front with a balcony. The room was very clean, well appointed and extremely quiet. All the staff members that we dealt with (front desk, housekeeping, restaurant) were pleasant, professional and helpful. We ate in 3 restaurants --- the main one, the poolside bar, and the lobster pound. The food was very good, and reasonably priced, at all three. The exercise room is small but adequate. We checked out tennis racquets and balls from the front desk and used the courts.

Now for some travel tips. We spent most of our time in Acadia National Park, driving, hiking and bicycling.

We rented bicycles from Bar Harbor Bikes, as opposed to the main competitor, Acadia Bikes, because several of the reviews indicated that Bar Harbor Bikes purchased new bicycles every year, while Acadia’s bikes were several years old. The bicycles they gave my wife and I were fine, but the one they provided to my 14 year old daughter was barely adequate. We rented them for a half-day (4 hours). When we returned them, the lady at the counter wanted to charge me for a full day, as we had returned them 5 minutes (!!!) past the 4 hours. When I mentioned that after filling out the paperwork to rent them, we had to wait on the sidewalk for 40 minutes before the busy shop crew could fit bicycles for us, she got very angry and asked what I wanted to pay. I told her I was perfectly happy to pay for the 4 hours. She tore up the paperwork, rang up a new bill, then threw my credit card at me. I later spoke with a number of people who rented from Acadia Bikes and they were extremely happy with their experience.

Restaurants --- outside of the hotel we ate at Maggie’s Restaurant (fantastic!) and Abel’s Lobster Pound (great food, fantastic setting, wonderful staff, but expensive). We tried to get into Havana and Mache Bistro, but both were booked 2-3 days in advance. We had reservations at The Burning Tree, but cancelled them to go to the theater instead. The ice cream at Ben and Bill’s is great. MDI Ice Cream offers some unusual flavors, such as chocolate-and-wasabi, and grapefruit-and-cucumber.

We went to the Acadia Repertory Theatre in Somesville for a performance of Agatha Christie’s “Death on the Nile.” Very well done for a local repertory cast and the theater is small enough that every seat is good.

Finally, we purchased a book on tide pools from the Acadia National Park visitor’s center, then went tide pooling at low tide (about an hour before sunset on that day) at the foot of the Wonderland Trail. Great experience.

4  Thank Tshark
Reviewed 23 August 2010

So, I did have a hard time finding a place to stay because I waited until the last minute to book, but the Obamas stayed here, so I thought it would be ok. And from the start, it was disappointing. We asked for two double beds, but we got a single king. We thought we could make do with an air bed. We were put in an out building with no elevator, so it was a little difficult getting our things into our room, but we made do. We called for an air bed, but our first call didn't result in actually getting another bed. A couple of phone calls later, and a very nice man showed up with a bed.

We paid for the breakfast package, but the wait at the inadequately staffed restaurant was so long that we ended up leaving and going to Jordan's for breakfast and had fabulous food and service.

We tried going to dinner at their "lobster pound" but the service and food was awful. Which leads me to my conclusion - they worked so hard, tried with all their might, to pull off excellent service for the president that they had nothing left for the rest of the season. Just a thought. Really would not recommend wasting your money here when there are other places on the island that are actually trying.

3  Thank ericacarter
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I am a seasoned traveler and never have I ever stayed at a hotel where the staff was so poorly trained to the point of being clueless. At 259/night, I would not called that cheap to justify being treated so poorly. The rooms are old, tiles are cracking, grouts are stained, my room was even missing the toilet seat cover! Even for a summer staff, they were at best inept. Some ex: I was told by reception that reservations are not necessary at their restaurant and that we could just walk right in, well, I ended up waiting for 40 mins. for a table. On top of that, when I complained to mgmt. they tell me they don't take reservations at the rest., I would have appreciated being told in advance! Ditto, for the breakfast buffet, minimum 20 mins. wait each morning, plus the mgr. is absolutely unapologetic and says that it is always busy at around this hour which was 9am, maybe I should have come at 12 but that would be called 'lunch'! The public restroom looked like a cesspool one morning when I walked in. The operator puts you on hold to find out the extension to call from room to room. There is a laundry room with 3 out of 4 machines 'out of order'. Should I go on but unfortunately, there is not enough room, just save yourself some grief and stay somewhere else. I scouted a lot of nicer places in Bar Harbor where they would probably have a better notion of what service is expected of a hotel. Thank goodness, the beauty of Bar Harbor itself saved the trip.

2  Thank skate21
Reviewed 20 August 2010

I stayed here ten years ago and returned this summer because the back grounds of the hotel are gorgeous. The swimming pool and little bar/snack shack are as close to the ocean as a hotel property can get in Maine. I know of only two other hotels with rooms that face the ocean in Bar Harbour, one is quite expensive for the view and the newest one is right smack in the middle of the busy tourist traffic. The Regency (once called Holiday Inn Sun Spree Resort) is the best choice for a room with an ocean view just be sure to request a room NOT over the restaurant because then you'll pay the expensive ocean view amount and your view will be greatly hindered by the restaurant exhaust system which is a huge obstruction. This happened to me this second visit and we had to stay there one night but the next day they moved us to a ocean view room away from the restaurant and we were happy there for five more nights. This hotel is minutes away from everything but not right smack in the middle of the hubbub; allowing for peaceful, quiet times poolside~ great for r & r. The hotel probably could use updated as the furntiture, carpeting, decor, etc. was exacly the same as ten years ago and somewhat worn and tired, however, the place is very clean and all staff is courteous. Funny thing, ten years ago during my first stay, Martha Stewart was in the roon next to us and this time, President O'Bama checked out the day before we arrived. . .that probably speaks volumes within itself.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family