“Week with Grandson”

Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Bar Harbor
Oakland, Maine
“Week with Grandson”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed in the Mizzentop Building. Room was very spacious, nice view from the deck. Large TV with nice variety to pick from. Water for showers was nice and hot. Coffee maker easy to use. Small refrigerator kept things nice and cold. Liked the bathroom, sinks seperate from the toilet/shower area so two people can be doing different things. Free Wi-Fi which worked great. Supplies in the bathroom were good quality such as shampoo and body wash. Soaps also nice. A couple small things I was disappointed in the first which might me just preference, was the towels/washcloths were way to thick for my liking. Second, when I went to do my laundry in the coin operated, there was no laundry detergent in the machine and it took two cycles to dry my clothes and the load was not large. The only other thing was the womens bathroom toilet in the pool room was awful for flushing down. Took me 3 times.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
hospitality04609, General Manager at Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is so nice to know that so many of the special touches in your room were noticed and appreciated. We want our guests to feel comfortable and even pampered whild staying with us.

My apologies for the trouble you encountered with the laundry area, I have looked in to it and made sure that we are fully stocked and functional.

I do hope you will think about coming back to Bar Harbor and staying with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We grabbed a room here at the last minute for an impromptu weekend in Bar Harbor. Though we wanted to stay in town, all rooms were booked so we went with the Bluenose. I read some of the not so great reviews, but I am really glad we ignored them and took the chance to come here. First I guess I should say, I review places based on how good they are within their own type of property within their own geography. What I mean is that I don't think it is fair to compare a property smack in the middle of a high traffic resort town, to a local hotel on the side of a road somewhere. There is a certain amount you know you will pay in high season in a tourist area. For what is offered and compared to similar properties in the area, we found the rates to be fair. This is a property that has 3 different buildings, and I suspect each building has it's own set of prices and character. If you want a GREAT time in a lovely room, you have to stay in the main building. We had a 3rd floor king suite, with a private balcony, fire place, small living room area, king size bed, keurig, small fridge and a microwave. Big double sinks exterior to wash room and a nice shower. The bed was comfortable, the robes were soft and everything was spotlessly clean. I get that some folks think the décor is dated, but if you spend anytime in historic New England, you will know that chintz and stripes is a classic choice. The pools are small, but they are spotless. Outdoor pool is heated which was fantastic. The on site restaurant is up a small path in one of the back buildings with a great view and good reviews. The bar serves light fare at night, while a really sweet and personable man plays classic tunes on a piano, right next to a fire place. Nate at the front desk was fantastic upon check in, what a great asset to this company. As for location, yes it's on the road, but it sits way high up OFF the road, no sounds could be heard and you don't feel like you are sitting on a main street. It is at least a half mile to the edge of town, so if you are into walking you can walk to town, but this is not an IN town property. Still, we had a car and were happy to drive the 1/2 mile, no big deal. Parking can be found. I can't review the other buildings, the back buildings looked a bit older, not as renovated. But for where we stayed, it was a great property.
The only thing worth mentioning from a negative perspective that may actually drive us away from coming back here is that we had a very negative experience checking out. We booked through Expedia and my receipt showed that we had been charged for 2 nights and owed nothing to the hotel. Upon check out I was told that was not true and that Expedia had only taken a deposit, rather than the entire amount. I asked to speak to a manager and showed a young woman who claimed to the be the manager my receipt from Expedia. She handled the situation VERY poorly. In the long run, it turned out Expedia was incorrect, my credit card had only been charged for a deposit, but the explanation from the "manager" was that this is how they set it up and they cannot change it, she lacked any kind of sympathy, was not at all helpful and left us feeling so disappointed that we likely will not return, BUT, don't let that make you feel like this isn't a very pretty property with a lot to offer. Yes, it's a 3 building resort, yes you have to walk between buildings and yes, it's just as expensive as the other resorts in the area, but it's very much worth it.

Room Tip: Stay in the main lodge, get a room with a view, third floor suites with a fireplace and balcony are...
1 Thank Addileesa
Thank you for your very thourough review of your recent stay with us. It seems that every now and then a negative review can hurt your standing on review sights so it really is important to dig a little deeper. Overall, we feel we have many more happy and even thrilled customers than disappointed ones so thank you for getting to know us. Nothing is more important to us than customer service and the comfort of our guests. We want for you to feel a little bit of "home" while you are on your vacation and so we treasure the relationships we can build with our visitors because many become visitors year after year.

I am sorry that you had a disappointing experience as you checked out and hope that you will seriously consider staying with us again if you have the opportunity to return to Bar Harbor. Overall, it sounds as if you enjoyed your stay with us and we would welcome the opportunity to do it again.

Marlboro, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Easy access to Acadia National Park and town of Bar Harbor. Stay in the Mizzentop where you get a great view of Frenchmen's Bay. Our room was lovely and very clean. One bad point, the airconditioning unit was very noisy and when it was off you could hear road noise.
Beautiful indoor pool, plenty of parking and overall quiet. During a recent power outage we were supplied with flashlights and bottled water. No a/c in the hallways but had open windows. After looking at many places to stay, we would absolutely recommend you give the Bluenose a try!

Room Tip: Top floor of Mizzentop for view!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. This has been an unusual July with the power outage situtation in Bar Harbor and we thank you very much for your ability to "weather the storm" with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our facility and apologize that you had some issues with noise from your air conditioner. I hope you will join us again when you return to our beautiful community, and you are right that the view from the top of the Mizzentop cannot be beat!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This was a very nice hotel with a very friendly staff! My wife and I had no problems finding the location and the room was outstanding. We had a suite with a balcony overlooking Bar Harbor. The view was spectacular and the room was very clean and spacious. I have no complaints about this hotel and will come back here when we come to visit again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony for sure!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the "high marks". We are thrilled to know that you had such a wonderful stay with us and sincerely hope to be able to host you again.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Located just a few miles from the entrance to Acadia National Park, the Bluenose Inn is a wonderful hotel. The views from our balcony of Bar Harbor, the bay, and many islands is spectacular. The rooms are large, well furnished, and immaculate. Ours even has a fireplace.
The great room just off the lobby is a wonderful place to have a drink, read a book, meet friends, or listen to some fine piano playing. Coupled with the beauty of Acadia National Park, this is a great place to stay.

I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Top floor, two room suites are incredible - fireplaces, views, furnishings, etc.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. We feel that we are the perfect "fit" for Acadia National Park and love it when our guests take full advantage of our beautiful surroundings and then let us pamper you with the relaxation of the Great Room, music, the spa or our top notch restaurant The Looking Glass.

I hope you will come back to Bar Harbor again and give us the opportunity to host you again. Thank you!
Swanton, Vermont
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My kids are still asking to go back to the Bluenose! Was hands down the best hotel stay we had during a road trip through Maine. The pool is beautiful! We stayed across the parking lot in that building (close to pool). The rooms were very quiet and clean. When we return to Bar Harbor, the Bluenose will be the only hotel for us!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
hospitality04609, General Manager at Bluenose Inn - A Bar Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
What a terrific review. Thank you. I can still remember those peak experiences on vacation with the family as a child and it is wonderful to know that your children feel that way about us.

It sounds like the pool was a great hit and I hope you enjoyed our restaurant The Looking Glass as well.

We are very happy to hear that you will be coming back to our beautiful town of Bar Harbor and that we can have the pleasure of hosting you again.
Lisbon Falls, Maine
Reviewed 16 July 2014

What a wonderful place! So clean and beautiful! You went above and beyond by putting the bucket of Sparkling Cider, Ice and glasses in our room! IT was a wonderful surprise!!! We were so shocked! We don't like Champagne so it was PERFECT!!! Made our 30th Anniversary complete!!! THANK YOU!!!! Such friendly people!! We will be back for sure!!!

1 Thank Laurie T
Thank you for sharing your 30th anniversary with us. We are very happy to hear that we were able to help you make it everything such a special occasion should be.

We especially enjoy our guests who make this "their" place in Bar Harbor. We certainly look forward to seeing you again.