“Great Experience with Acadia Mountain Guides (Andrea)”

Acadia Mountain Guides Climbing School
Ranked #1 of 48 Tours in Bar Harbor
More attraction details
Owner description: A tradition of excellence. Featured in Outside Magazine, the Boston Globe, Downeast Magazine, National Geographic Adventure and on Bill Green's Maine, CBS, Maine PBS among many others. Experience a half-day or full day climb with Maine’s original and most respected climbing school. Acadia Mountain Guides is one of the most sought out leaders of climbing instruction and guide education in the US. We specialize in designing unique, personalized climbing experiences for all ages and abilities on the scenic shores of Acadia and throughout Maine! Join us for a healthy and fun activity that is guaranteed to be a highlight of your vacation.All equipment is provided. Unlike other local seasonal climbing services, guiding is our profession! We guide year round on rock, snow, and ice. 100% of our staff are independently trained and certified above national guiding and medical standards set by the American Mountain Guides Association and the Professional Climbing Instructors Association. AMGCS has the distinction of being the only school in Maine to be dually accredited by both the AMGA and the PCIA. AMG has been under the same consistent ownership since opening in 1993. The owner, Jon Tierney, began guiding in 1983 in Acadia and is one of a handful of Americans to earn the International Federation of Mountain Guides Association (IFMGA) guide license. The IFMGA license is the PhD of guiding and requires full AMGA certification as a rock, alpine and ski mountaineering guide. We look forward to meeting you on the rocks!
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My friend and I visited Acadia in June of 2013. Both of us wanted to do something adventurous, and we found a Groupon for rock climbing with Acadia Mountain Guides. We had never rock climbed before, and wanted to try it for the first time. They were very accommodating when setting up the climb.

When we got there on the day of our climb, there were thunder storm risks, so the team was very helpful and allowed us to re-schedule for the next day. ANDREA was our guide, and he was fantastic! He brought us to the perfect location for beginners, It had a beautiful view, and was also a bit challenging (not just boring, small cliffs that you might expect beginners to get). Andrea made safety the number one priority, teaching us about safety and explaining why he was doing all the actions/precautions he was taking. I felt comfortable the whole time. Andrea was also friendly and conversational, talking to us about his adventures in rock climbing. He was professional and a great motivator. He knew where the best photo opportunities would be for us "tourists', and made sure we were able to catch our memories on film.

We had such a blast, and I would highly recommend Acadia Mountain Guides to anyone. ASK FOR ANDREA!

All reviews
"multi pitch"
in 11 reviews
"highlight of our trip"
in 28 reviews
"felt safe the entire time"
"south wall"
"precipice trail"
"amazing experience"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 25 February 2014

This was an excellent guided weekend ascent of Katahdin. Our guides, Dick and Pat, were phenomenal. The trip was reasonably priced and included specialty gear such as double boots, ice axes and crampons, as well as group gear and food. The food, by the way, was excellent.

This was a tough two day trek but well worth it in the end. We were made to feel safe the whole time, and the trip was very educational. Although I have done a fair amount of mountain climbing and hiking in warmer months, I would not attempt this trip without a guiding service.

Thank you for a great weekend and a great experience.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

This was an excellent trip, not for the faint of heart. Our guide Dick, did an excellent job breaking trail, cooking, and guiding us to the Table Lands of Mount Katahdin. I felt that our guide looked out for our safety while maintaining a fun and challenging experience. I would recommend this trip to the winter savvy camper who isn't afraid of the cold. Warm gear was a must to make this a positive experience. Don't forget to bring insulated pants for the evening by the cooking stove!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

This wasn't easy, indoor rock wall climbing. Felt as close to the real thing as we will get. Very friendly, patient instructors. Super with my kids (8 & 12) Great location! Climbing cliffs overlooking the harbor at sunset. Can't get much better than that. A bit pricey but worth it. Would definitely do it again. A real adventure.

See more reviews
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Phoned Tyler Walker before boarding our cruise ship out of Boston, as Bar Harbor would be one of our stops during the week. He set me up with a 1/2 day (four hour) rock climb with one of his guides. Upon arrival at Bar Harbor, it was a short walk up Main Street to the Acadia Mountain Guides store, where I met "Dick", my guide. I found him to be very friendly and professional, and after grabbing some climbing gear we headed out in his vehicle.

I explained that I was basically a novice, just looking for something outdoors, avoiding my fellow cruise ship tourists, and the typical tourist sites for ship's shore excursions. We headed to "South Bubble Wall", a short distance from downtown, somewhere in the Acadia Park. At this point we never saw another person, except perhaps the buses stopping on the road down below, maybe watching us climbing.

I found the climb to be very challenging for this 67 year old dude. Dick encouraged me and kept me safe, while entertaining me with interesting conversation regarding his experience in the park as well as other exciting adventures in the past. After climbing the wall, taking many great pictures along the way, and repelling back down, we returned to his vehicle and to their shop.

I was charged $155.00 for the private 1/2 day climb (including gear), and I tipped Dick $20.00. It was a great adventure, and now I'm back on the ship with sore legs, but not before consuming a lobster roll and a couple of Thunder Hole Ales at Galyn's on Main Street. It was explained to me that as a private climb, the itinerary was pretty much up to me. I told Dick I was a novice climber, 67 years old with a little fire still left in me, and wanted to be challenged …. which he certainly did. I fully recommend Acadia Mountain Guides if anytime you might be in the Bar Harbor area.

1  Thank Butchhall