“Great guide, great experience”

Acadia Mountain Guides Climbing School
Ranked #1 of 42 Tours in Bar Harbor
More attraction details
Owner description: A tradition of excellence. Featured in Outside Magazine, the Boston Globe, Downeast Magazine, National Geographic Adventure and on Bill Green's Maine, CBS, Maine PBS among many others. Experience a half-day or full day climb with Maine’s original and most respected climbing school. Acadia Mountain Guides is one of the most sought out leaders of climbing instruction and guide education in the US. We specialize in designing unique, personalized climbing experiences for all ages and abilities on the scenic shores of Acadia and throughout Maine! Join us for a healthy and fun activity that is guaranteed to be a highlight of your vacation.All equipment is provided. Unlike other local seasonal climbing services, guiding is our profession! We guide year round on rock, snow, and ice. 100% of our staff are independently trained and certified above national guiding and medical standards set by the American Mountain Guides Association and the Professional Climbing Instructors Association. AMGCS has the distinction of being the only school in Maine to be dually accredited by both the AMGA and the PCIA. AMG has been under the same consistent ownership since opening in 1993. The owner, Jon Tierney, began guiding in 1983 in Acadia and is one of a handful of Americans to earn the International Federation of Mountain Guides Association (IFMGA) guide license. The IFMGA license is the PhD of guiding and requires full AMGA certification as a rock, alpine and ski mountaineering guide. We look forward to meeting you on the rocks!
Ellsworth, Maine
“Great guide, great experience”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My friend and I went climbing for a half day in Acadia National Park today. This was her first time climbing and I climb fairly regularly in a gym (albeit very poorly). This was a great trip. Mike, our guide, was fantastic. He managed to balance out our comfort levels really well, so we both got some really great experiences. My friend is really excited to go again, which speaks volumes about how comfortable and safe we felt. Rappelling over the surf on Otter Cliffs was simply astounding- I grew up and live in Maine and I still had to stop and think "wow, I seriously just did that". You can't really explain the feeling climbing a granite face, smelling the salt air, and hearing waves crashing. Once in a lifetime.
Until I go again....
Like, tomorrow.

Do this, you won't regret it.

Visited June 2014

Nashville, Tennessee
“Great day climbing”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had a great day out with Dick on the gorgeous granite of Acadia. He was 100% professional -- patient, precise, friendly, and above all SAFE. I had such a great time on Friday that I came back and climbed with him again on Sunday!

Ridgeland, Mississippi
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Superb rock climbing guide and climbing experience”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I had a half day of climbing with a most excellent guide, Mark Warner. She has had significant climbing experience, and I am at a beginner level having only climbed in a rock gym. Mark chose a sequence of climbs that was perfect for our levels and for optimizing our experience - not to mention that the climbs on the cliff faces adjacent to the sea were pretty awesome. He started off with a few good "warm-up" climbs and then ended with a very picturesque, long, challenging climb that was just right for our level - challenging enough but not impossible. The experience was incredible not just because of the scenery, but I think mostly because we had a pretty awesome guide.

Mark struck us as a warm, friendly, easy-going, encouraging, humorous guide, and his choices of climbs were definitely intentional. I can almost sense that he calculated very deliberately the sequence of our climbs to give us the greatest experience for our levels. He is also a very effective teacher. I would highly recommend the Acadia Mountain Guide Climbing School, and in particular, I would highly recommend Mark Warner to anyone coming for climbing lessons/guide.

3 Thank Tadpole978
Richmond, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Had a blast and learned a bunch!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Thanks to Acadia Mountain Guides, we had an amazing time climbing in Acadia! We had done some single pitch sport climbing and a little trad climbing in the past but the time we spent climbing with Dick (our guide) helped us improve our skills in a safe and fun environment. Dick took us to some awesome climbs in beautiful spots that we wouldn’t have found without him. He also seemed to know intuitively exactly what types of routes were best for us. Despite unpredictable weather we were able to fit in a bunch of climbing as well as in-depth reviews of gear placements, anchor building, multi-pitch transitions, safe rappelling and more. I would highly recommend Dick and Acadia Mountain Guides to anyone who is looking to take their climbing to the next level!

Scranton, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Superb Day of Rock Climbing In Acadia”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Superb day of rock climbing in Acadia National Park on the Bubbles and Champlain Mountain. I have climbed with guides in other places and this was by far the best experience. I felt like Jon, the guide, was there for me rather than just taking me on a climb. He chose routes that weren't in the guidebook but were very appropriate for me as an older climber. His concern for my safety was second to none - far superior to what I have experienced with others even though I felt safe with them as well. Highly recommend Acadia Mountain Guides to anyone visiting acadia.

1 Thank Maryann D
AMGCS, Owner at Acadia Mountain Guides Climbing School, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Maryann thanks for the review. It's just as much fun for me to climb off the beaten path and Acadia has some great places for that. Glad you enjoyed the day. Looking forward to climbing again later in summer.