“Unexpected excellence”

Ranked #49 of 275 Restaurants in Quincy
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Boston, Massachusetts
“Unexpected excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We ended up here on a Saturday in the early evening last weekend. I was impressed with the offerings of ostrich and beef tongue. My fiancé and I had the kimchi broth. We also ordered a side of kimchi which was delicious. We had a shrimp tempura roll which I enjoyed and he did not. For our hot pot, we had beef, chicken, clams and squid. Everything was wonderful. The only major downside is that the tables are close together and there is no privacy. Definitely not a romantic spot but really fun for a group or a couple that wants to do something a little different. We have been to other hot places in China town and Allston but would definitely visit Shabu again! In addition, the prices are great, especially for the quality and amount of food they serve.

• Visited November 2013

“delicious and fun dining experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

Five Ladies who had never before experienced Chinese Hot Pot traveled to Quincy to enjoy a lunch at Shabu. It was worth the trip. We had so much fun experimenting with different vegetables and noodles. The crisp green watercress and spinach were so tasty in the kimchi broth. We ordered the all you can eat lunch buffet for $19.95. Regular broth and Kimchi (+$3) were our cooking mediums. I preferred the Kimchi, the regular broth reminded me of Miso if you prefer a milder flavor. They gave us very generous portions of meat and veggies. We made a glorious mess of our table. We had spinach noodles, vermicilli, loads of veggies, shrimp, whitefish, sirloin etc. I highly recommend this chinese "fondue" way of cooking. It was fun and leisurely if a little pricy for lunch. Worth the splurge!!

• Visited February 2013
United States
“Can't Wait for Next Time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

Love! If you want the feel of the melting pot without the high price tag, and with an Asian flare, Shabu is the place to go! I went there a couple of nights ago for my first time, though I've been wanting to try it out for a couple of years. I LOVED it! The Kimchi soup and the beef & tomato soup were both delicious. My boyfriend and I each got a combo meal- one chicken combo with white rice and veggies and one sirloin beef combo with ramen noodles and veggies. We loved all of it and hardly left anything behind! We also ordered a spicy tuna roll and were VERY pleased with it. The flavor was delicious! Because there is so much to try, next time we would order the a la carte options instead of the combos just to try more! The prices were VERY affordable making their a la carte menu that much more enticing. Can't wait to go back, I highly recommend it... I had no idea something that delicious would be in Quincy!

• Visited February 2013
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Frequent hot pot eater!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013

I've had hot pot at many places, this include shabu zen in chinatown and their other location in allston. Then there was hot pot buffet in chinatown as well. This place beats all of those places. Why? Shabu zen and this Shabu has the same quality food and same broths. But shabu zen has been down sizingtheir portions, they started the hot pot trend here in MA but is now bringing it down. Hot Pot Buffet is good for value and if you want to stuff your face in all you can eat. This place has everything, good quality, good portions, good service, depending on how busy it is, they might be a lil under staffed. It can also get a but crowded so i don't recommend parties bigger than 4. Maybe this place should get a five star, but the crowdedness and understaffing makes it a 4 star.

• Visited July 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Hot Pot!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012 via mobile

I have never tried hot pot before but my three friends that came along have. The vegetables for the hot pot were nice and fresh. The meat was really good;although a little fatty. I got the regular broth which I suggest for first timers. For the meat I got the shaved sirloin. It is really neat to try and I think I would even make a good first date. Dessert was fried ice cream. We got coconut and mango to split between the four of us. The best part about this place us you won't feel rushed.