“Great tour - better beer!”

Anchor Brewing Company
Ranked #20 of 561 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We offer guided public tours every day, by reservation only. You’ll get a brief history of our company and a walk through three floors of our brewery. And yes, there’s a tasting session immediately to follow. Together, the brewery tour and the beer tasting last for about 1.5 hours. Due to popular demand, we are not able to accommodate you for a tour without reservations. Public Tour schedule: Mon.-Thur.: 11:00 AM & 2:00 PM Fri.-Sun.: 11:00 AM, 2:00 PM, & 5:00 PM Available for private group tours: Mon.-Thur.: 3:30 PM or 6:00 PM
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Had the pleasure of visiting the Anchor Brewing Company in the summer of 2013. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and funny.. And he wasn't cheap with the beer :)

Highly recommendable if you are into great beer! As of 2013, you have to book via phone, but it was no problem.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Tour was fantastic. There's a lot of history surrounding this brewery, and the tour guide was very knowledgeable and willing to answer questions. There's a tasting at the end of the tour. My wife and I were under the impression that we would taste all the beers on tap, but it was actually 4 of them and then one of your choosing. Lots of interesting swag you can buy there (octagon shaped pint glasses, copper anchor keychains, etc). Steam beer isn't my favorite style, so I didn't enjoy the tasting as much as I did at other breweries, but everyone has different tastes so I didn't knock off any points for that.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

My friends strongly recommend to book the tour, and decided to give it a go, and booked it for one of our days in town.

Our tour guide Bobby was brilliant! So knowledgeable, entertaining and just great guy! Really enjoyed seeing the brewery, loved the bottling floor!

Oh and the best part! Well, the tasting was really good! Proper full tasting of possibly all their possible products! Such a great tour and cannot believe it was free!!!

I would fully recommend any beer lover to do this tour! Good fun, but don't drive there!!!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We booked the free tour for our last day.

We arrived a little early so sat in the bar looking around. Our tour guide, buddy was great and a fountain of knowledge. The factory was in full working order, great to watch them at work.

After the tour finished we went to the bar for a full tasting which my husband loved.

Overall a great tour, especially as it was free!

Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

The tour was very informative and interesting, with a great guide in James. The history of the brewery I'd surprising, as it came very close to closing 50 years ago. The group size for the morning tour was small enough to not feel crowded or as though we were being herded. The tasting is the most generous as I can imagine, with up to 4 ounces of 6 beers. Thankfully, they will do smaller pours! Highly recommended.