“a very fine place”

US$89.00*
Viator Exclusive: San Francisco Hop-on Hop-off Plus Bike & Bay Cruise
Ranked #21 of 558 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Spanning cultures from Turkey to India and China to the Philippines through 6,000 years, the collection provides a panorama of Asian art and culture. Included are over 18,000 objects ranging from tiny jades to monumental sculptures. Superb paintings, porcelains, arms and armor, furniture, textiles, and bronzes are featured.
Reviewed 28 November 2013

The museum is very rich. I loved it all but, in particular, I loved the "tea room" and the Japanese porcelain section.
The place has an aura of elegance, it's quiet and very well arranged. Really loved it.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Asian Art Museum is the largest museum in the United States devoted entirely to the art and cultures of Asia. The permanent collection is outstanding and the special exhibits magnificent. The current one, called In Grand Style showcases the festivals of the Joseon Dynasty. My docent led tour filled in the political and historical context for the beautiful objects ranging from placenta jars to hair ornaments. Café Asia is run by a society catering firm and the food did not disappoint. After lunch I took another docent tour of the permanent collection Korea gallery followed by tea followed by a Highlights tour. I'm not ordinarily a fan of docent tours but these docents are outstandingly knowledgeable and very hospitable.

It was a perfect day!

Reviewed 19 November 2013

When I travel, I generally don't hit up too many museums (I tend to travel on a budget, plus I like living how the locals do... and most locals don't spend their days in museums). However, I happened to walk past this one and saw a sign that said "Free admission today", so I couldn't pass it up.

I'm not sure I've ever been to a museum of just Asian art before, so I really enjoyed this one. I'm no art snob, but I thought that there were a lot of really beautiful pieces to look at. Plus, some of the commentaries are really informative. Through looking at this art, I learned about religion, culture, and history, which is how I think art museums should be. I had a lovely hour browsing the galleries.

Always a plus: the staff was helpful and friendly, too!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

The art was great some of the paintings told it's own story and some looked so real. The Museum was very nice and the grounds are beautiful. . . . A must see!!!

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Really liked this. Some great buildings in the area although the area is a little run down. Take the BART to Civic Centre and if you can time your visit to the first Sunday in the month, you'll get free admission. If not, still go as there are some interesting exhibits.