“Excellent Tour of WWII Submarine”
Review of USS Pampanito

and up
San Francisco Wharf and Waterfront Segway Tour
Ranked #48 of 534 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: World War II submarine docked at Pier 45.
Las Vegas, Nevada
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Excellent Tour of WWII Submarine”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We recently were in San Francisco and while visiting Pier 39 decided a tour of the Pampanito would be interesting and it was quite close by. I had toured the sub years ago but as my partner had not and I was certainly not against seeing it again. We decided against the audio tour so the ticket price was $12 each which I believe is quite reasonable. It is a self guided tour but we were pleasantly surprised that there was an elderly volunteer aboard that had served on similar subs during the war. He was extremely knowledgeable and pointed out many things we would have overlooked. It is very interesting to see how the sailors lived aboard these submarines. If you have any interest in the history of World War II or submarines in general, don't miss this very interesting tour. Be advised that to get from compartment to compartment, one has to climb through hatches that although are large, do require some effort.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank K2Travels

• Czech first
  • Korean first
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Absolutely fantastic!!!”
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

WW2 submarine that saw active service. Great value and so atmospheric inside. I'm a huge History fan and this is quite simply a huge privilege to experience. My missus loved it too. Brilliant. Adults and kids will have a great time. Kevin & Claire Wood, Stourport, England.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Caseywood
Dry Ridge, Kentucky
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Very nice ship”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Very interesting tour of a WW2 sub. As an old Navy guy, I'm always interested in these ships from WW@. What these "greatest generation" sailors did was amazing. Although this sub only did one combat tour it is a great example of what these submariners did for us. Nice exhibit !

Visited September 2013
UK
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Good way to spend an hour”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Nice Exhibit, Very Interesting. And I thought quite a resonable price. Seeing the living conditions that the sailors had to endure is quite eye opening. And I loved the torpedo loading rooms at the front and back. Overall very ineresting and good value.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Paul F
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Under the Waves”
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

I wondered how much I would get to see on this sub. I was pleasantly surprised that they had opened up most of the upper deck so you can move right from one end of the boat to the other. Carefully stepping through hatchways to get there. Seeing the minute conditions lived in and the tide rocking the vessel slightly as you move through, gives a real sense of how the sailors would've lived. The memorial outside is also worth noting to understand the risk and sacrifice of the crews of WW2 subs.

Visited September 2013

Been to USS Pampanito? Share your experiences!