“Very interesting experience”

US$115.00*
Private Segway Tour - Chinatown by Night
Ranked #48 of 569 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: World War II submarine docked at Pier 45.
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I have never experienced anything like my tour of the USS Pampanito. We purchased a groupon, so getting in was cheap and so worth it. They also have audio tours which cost an extra $3; we didn't do that, though. My husband and I both really enjoyed the tour and I can say now that I have a much greater amount of respect for the soldiers who had to work on a submarine. Fair warning, we got a little ways into the submarine when something caused waves by the sub. It moved a bit and I had a slight moment of panic. Thus, if you are prone to anxiety and motion sickness, beware that you may not have the most comfortable experience. I am glad that I made it through the entire tour because it was amazing to see, but I definitely was a little freaked out by the experience. I have no idea how people lived on those things for months at a time! It's crazy to think about!

2  Thank Kiela H

Reviewed 4 April 2014

My love of military history brought me to the USS Pampanito during one of my visits to San Francisco. I have been on other submarines but this one was truly impressive. The interior of the sub is meticulously clean and polished. You will be convinced you could take it on a mission at a moments notice! The audio tour is great. Don't pass it up. I really enjoyed touring the boat and getting a glimpse of what life under the sea during WW-II was like. The interior is so cramped it is hard to believe so many men lived and worked in there. Interestingly, this sub was used in the filming of the comedy film "Down Periscope." It looks like a rust bucket in the movie but in reality it is a fantastic example of American military ingenuity. I recommend it to everyone.

2  Thank Dave C
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We were in the middle of a very rainy day, so my son and I decided it would be a perfect time to go tour the ships. The Pampanito is a fantastic experience, but the audio tour is a MUST. The extra $3 for the audio makes all of the difference. My twelve year old's attention was held by the narration and it led to a number of conversations about WWII after we left the submarine. The tight quarters are really something to experience.

It is a great tour, but somewhat expensive for what you get in comparison to some other entertainment options. Despite the cost, I am still really glad that we chose to do it.

1  Thank mtdad
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This was an interesting attraction but not one of my top sights in SF. I would have been more enthusiastic if I had not been on a submarine before. I recommend the audio tour, which adds a lot of information and is only an extra $3. There are no signs inside the sub, so you might not get much without the audio background.

1  Thank Kat0425
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Step back in time and see what it was like to be on a submarine in WW2. How did these guys live on this thing since it is so small? Cramped living and working conditions. My family and I kept asking ourselves how did they do it and how brave they were to agree to go underwater in a submarine.