“Magnificent Bookstore!”

and up
The Magic Bus Experience
Ranked #1 of 308 Shopping in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Famous bookstore founded and still owned by Beat Generation poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti.
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Being a bookworm, I'm happy to visit a local bookstore to get a feel for the city I'm in. I'm so glad I made a point to get to City Lights! This is a large bookstore, and also a publisher. I walked in to browse and walked out with two books from one of the best curated shops I've ever been in! The displays are thoughtful and intriguing. Extensive selections on everything you can think of! There is no rush, so feel free to sit down to skim or read. There's also an upstairs and a downstairs, so don't miss those!

Also don't forget to have them stamp the title page of your book!

All reviews
"great bookstore"
in 23 reviews
"beat poets"
in 23 reviews
"great selection of books"
in 15 reviews
in 63 reviews
"author"
in 44 reviews

Reviewed 6 May 2014

As I was planning my trip to San Francisco, I came across the name of this bookstore and knew that I just had to make a visit. Just about any bookstore tickles my fancy. I read as many reviews as I could then put it on my to-do list. I walked the length of Chinatown and turned right and just a few feet away stood the bookstore. I went in and began my browsing around. What I found fascinating is all the OLD posters from a by-gone era on the walls. I then asked the Sales Attendant, Michael where I could find the “travel;” section and he directed me downstairs. I went and stayed for the longest time looking and reading. What is so nice about this bookstore is that you can linger and read till your heart is content. No one is looking over your shoulder, trying to get you out. I think that you could actually read a very short book by closing time.
Founded in 1953 by poets Peter Martin and Lawrence Ferlinghetti who wanted a place where booklovers could come and read and relax. It is an independent bookstore and publisher specializing in the arts and progressive politics. The bookstore is located on 3 floors and has expanded over the years. They are also a publisher.

I came back upstairs and talked briefly talked with Michael who told me that one of the owners still comes in early in the morning on some days and he is 93 years old.
A fascinating and relaxing place to relax away 3-4 hours.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

If you're a book lover or fan of independent bookstores, this is the place for you. I personally loved all the hand painted signs found throughout the store. I left with a copy of a book by a local author, Paul Madonna.

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

A place were time has stiod still. No internet just books. A great selection on about every topic. If you are looking for a specialized book start here!