“Rude workers impact experience...”
Review of Cable Cars

US$240.00*
San Francisco Private Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #12 of 564 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1873, cable cars have run up and down the hilly city, though after the 1950s, these cars have been kept in operation more out of historic nostalgia. Seventeen miles of track remain and have been deemed a historical landmark.
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Cable cars are something that immediately comes to mind when one thinks of San Francisco. It's a very iconic symbol. Therefore when you work for something that helps define a city you should think of yourself as an ambassador of sorts. You should by no means behave like a total jerk. My husband and I rode the cable cars twice while we were in the city. The waits in general are long and the ride is really not anything special. You can ride the street cars for a similar experience. With that said, our first experience riding the cable car was better than the second. On the first ride we did have to wait for a second car to come around. The driver/ conductor (not sure what the official term is) of the first car that rode by told us "sorry folks we are full." Ok, that is fine thank you for letting us know. The second time we rode the cars- we were the third group in line. the first car that came by let on a family of 5 and then said full, the second car did not even stop and when we yelled out hey are you going stop, the worker riding in the back was totally rude. He said something like well you need to get out here and hurry it up. While the car did stop, there really was no where to squeeze yourself. so i said to my husband- this is not worth it, I don't want to be squeezed on here hanging off the side- i didn't feel safe. So I stepped off, which forced my husband off - the other group could not find a spot either. the driver in the back then said - very sarcastically "what's the matter, couldn't fit". It really was said in a condescending tone. We all commented on this (i.e., his inappropriate attitude) as the car drove away. All he had to say was "sorry folks we are full". I know they can say this because other cars did. You know, I understand we are tourists, we can be annoying at times. However, your city is full of us and we are not going away. Tourism is part of your industry - we bring money into your town... And again- you are representing your city when you work on the cable cars and you really made a very poor impression for your town. Ultimately we ended up getting on at another stop where the car was not so full. Again though the ride was not any big deal. I can't say this is something to avoid if you come to SF. We just had such a poor experience that second time, I felt the need to note it. Perhaps whoever is in charge of the cable cars can remind the employees to try to keep a pleasant attitude.

Write a ReviewReviews (18,627)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The history is amazing. A lot of the experience on the car was great. The service was SLOW - slower than it needed to be it appeared everyone was in slow motion.... The wait very, very long. The drivers switched mid-route. The new driver was a "yeller" even to one of the passengers on the cable car who inadvertently let her elbow slip over the bench when taking a photo. He yelled "hey, hey, hey" extremely loud and quickly and really we thought we were going to crash. It was quite startling. I am sure it was a safety issue but he could have gotten the passenger's attention in a much less threatening manner. Then he got kind of funny... then a traffic situation and aggressive yelling at the driver of the vehicle. Fortunately, it was time for us to get off the cable car.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We rode the cable car and it was so much fun. We waited only ten minutes in line and my son and I got to stand on the running boards and hold onto the railing for the trip up the hill and down the other side to Market Street which was a few blocks from our hotel. An absolute must do when in San Francisco. I loved our cable car experience.

1  Thank saint22
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The ride itself could have been a rating of 4, however, the wait was terrible!!!

We spent almost 1.5 hours lining up at the Hyde St./Beach St. terminal to get on a car. Their system was terrible and there's no customer service at all. The published schedule on their website indicates that the cars leave every 8 minutes, but the afternoon we were there, it was more like 20-25 minutes. Also, they would fill up a car but let the passengers wait for 20 minutes, all crowded in the car, before they would actually start the ride. Meanwhile, several cars arrived at the terminal, were emptied out and then just sat there. Also, in some cars they allowed more passengers to get on, some less. There's no standard.

We made a mistake of buying an all-day pass (US$15 per person), thinking that we could hop on and off to check out various attractions along the route. Once you get off mid way, good luck if you can get back on the next one. We ended up riding all the way to the other end and wasted our day pass. Getting a one-way ticket at US$6 makes more sense.

My husband and I were lucky enough to get the outside standing spots (hanging onto the rail), and we found the ride pretty exciting (also feeling dangerous at times) as the car went up and down the hills. My daughter and sister sat in the sardine-packed inside compartment and didn't enjoy the ride as much.

I must say this is a very unique experience which is only available in San Francisco, but it needs better management and improvement in service.

Tips: The wait time at the other end on Power St./Market St. terminal seems to be shorter as they have two lines, and therefore more cars, leaving from this terminal.

2  Thank JobeeMom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

A must when in San Francisco! We purchased the visitor’s passports which can be used for unlimited rides on the following: Muni, Muni Metro, historic streetcars, and cable cars. This was by far the best way to go for us, as it allowed us to get all over the city relatively inexpensively. Purchasing a visitor’s passport definitely is the most economical way of transportation around the city. We utilized the cable cars multiple times and they were so fun to ride on! When we visited, the lines were not long at all at the turntables however on a few occasions we did have a hard time catching them at the road stops because they were already full. The cable cars are very fun and something everyone should do at least once just for the experience when in San Francisco!